The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFC_CiarlilloM

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2011
Euclid, Ohio
Okay I have a couple issues. First one is when Im driving and i come to a stop it still feels like the car wants to go forward. Any ideas? and the second is that I had some water coming from my muffler. It wasnt like a slight drip but it wasnt pouring it was in the middle. Thanks for the help.

Okay I have a couple issues. First one is when Im driving and i come to a stop it still feels like the car wants to go forward. Any ideas? and the second is that I had some water coming from my muffler. It wasnt like a slight drip but it wasnt pouring it was in the middle. Thanks for the help.

ok well first off the pulling your feeling, i have the same problem.
its just the clutch either needs to be changed or just bleed it and make sure there is no air in there. if you need to know where or how to bleed it just ask.
and the water in the muffler is nothing to worry about i get it sometimes its just condensation, sometimes its very little and sometimes it may be a little more.

Ya a dieing slave or clutch master or you have air in the line some were will make u feel like it still wants to keep going also if its hard to take out of gear but easy to put in gear has to do with it too.

Right, so it's definitely not a blown headgasket. If your headgasket was leaking bad enough for coolant to make it all the way through the exhaust to the muffler, the car would absolutely be running like s##t. On another note, I do agree with the other suggestions. The car trying to pull when stopped may very well be air in the clutch line, a leaky or bad slave, or possibly even some broken arms/fins on the pressure plate. Best of luck with it

Well an automatic doing a little tugging is really no big deal either the idle is set a little too high or the idle control sensor is faulty.
When in park and the car being warmed up what rpm is it running at?
Also what rpm in gear.

It idles roughtly around 1100rpms and i dont remember off the top of my head in drive. I had a check engine light for the IAC then it went away.

I would go start it real quick but im in the middle of working on it. I BELIEVE it goes up to 1500rpms when I put it in gear then falls back down to 1100.

It idles roughtly around 1100rpms and i dont remember off the top of my head in drive. I had a check engine light for the IAC then it went away.

I would go start it real quick but im in the middle of working on it. I BELIEVE it goes up to 1500rpms when I put it in gear then falls back down to 1100.

Technically speaking, it could be hundreds of things. More commonly, you could suspect things like: broken vacuum hose (or intake leak before mass airflow sensor), faulty or malfunctioning sensor (idle-air control, intake air temperature, etc...)

The engine idles too fast. After the engine has run long enough to be warm, the idle speed does not come down to normal. You really notice it when you come to a stop and must have to push hard on the brake pedal to keep the car from moving.

Possible causes:

1.If you have a carburetor, you may have a bad accelerator pump or power circuit.
The Fix: Replace accelerator pump or replace carburetor.
2.The engine may be overheating.
The Fix: Check and repair cooling system.
3.The fuel pressure regulator may be operating at too low a pressure.
The Fix: Check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. Replace fuel pressure regulator. (Generally not a DIY job)
4.The ignition timing may be set wrong.
The Fix: Adjust ignition timing.
5.There may be some type of ignition problem.
The Fix: Check and replace distributor cap, rotor, ignition wires and spark plugs.
6.There may be a fault in the computerized engine control system.
The Fix: Check engine control systems with a scan tool. Test circuits and repair or replace components as required. (Generally not a DIY job)
7. There may be a vacuum leak.
The Fix: Check and replace vacuum lines as required.
8.You have a bad idle speed control unit.
The Fix: Replace idle speed control unit.
9.The alternator may not be working properly.
The Fix: Replace alternator.

Please let me know if you find anything out.
I love challenges. :thumb:

i had a dodge neon that the torque convertor lockup solenoid went out on and it did the same thing and sometimes it would feel like it didnt down shift when i stopped also.

@Ronnienormand Thanks man. Ill take that list and go look at the car and Ill get back with what I find.

@3parks I dont believe I have ABS.

@dsm03 I did flush the tranny fluid about a couple weeks ago.

@turbo_rookie thanks. Ill keep that in consideration also.

Additional Info:
Pretty much did all routine maintenance on the vehicle having getting it home from the previous owner.

Oil Change
Oil filter
fuel filter
tranny flush/ change
radiator flush/change
spark plugs
pcv valve
air filter
thermostat
new pads
new rotors

What I gathered from the previous owner is that it was in an accident on drivers side (replaced driver door and fender.. frame looked intact) and then it sat for a couple of months.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back