The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Modifying Wedge Engineering Evo Recaro Seat Brackets

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexsimpson440

Probationary Member
May 15, 2014
Anoka, Minnesota
A couple years ago I bought some Wedge Engineering seat brackets for my 1g to fit my Evo 8 seats. I got them bolted up and placed in the car and noticed the door wouldn't close and the seat was completely off center. I had other stuff to do on the car so I just let them sit for a bit. A week ago I took the time to modify them to fit correctly in the car, so this is what I did. NOTE: I am not even sure if they still make these, but planted and Corbeau make brackets, and those might be a better option if you are looking into brackets. I just wasn't going to spend another $300+ on brackets if I could get these to work.

Some pictures of original fit:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This was a test fit of the passenger vs stock wedge brackets on drivers. There is a picture at the end of the post to compare to. Notice the much larger gap of the drivers side near the center console:

Cut the seat belt bracket off the mount, you can get your 1g buckles mounted to the Evo seats with little modification (it's how the Evo seats have them). This isn't 100% needed, but they made them fit worst and were unused (I think). I used evo seats bolts in my 1g buckles and drilled the 1g hole to 11/16". I don't have pictures of this, but get a nice bit for this, I used a stepped drill bit and it struggled.

Get some steel stock. I used 3/16" x 1-1/2" steel I had lying around. It's the same size wedge uses in the bracket. Cut 4 pieces at 18 - 1/4" (2 for each side), at least thats what mine were, yours may be different. Each piece will need 4 holes, 2 holes to mount to the bracket, and 2 holes to mount to the seat. Each hole will need to fit 5/16" hardware as that's the size bolt that will fit in the wedge mounting holes. I drilled the holes to 3/8" to give the bolts some wiggle room as I was not very precise in my measurements.

Hopefully not too confusing, but essentially the idea is that these bars will overhang off the bracket by about an inch, and the seat will mount to it, giving you that extra room needed to further center the seat and allow the door to close. I just marked the holes by eye, but measurements would be better, I was just lazy. I used the blue tape to prevent the bit from jumping around.

After drilling the holes, I mounted them and ensured they fit in the car before sand blasting and painting them. Alternatively you could weld these to the brackets, but I'm no welder so I opted to use bolts. I'm using grade 8 5/16" x 18 thread count hardware with locking nuts, ~2 inches for mounting the steel to the bracket, and 1 inch long for mounting the seat to the bracket. You can sort of see how they mount now:

After mounting them here is a picture of the seating position. Still slightly off center, but a lot more bearable.

Once test fit, I pulled everything, cleaned the edges and bolts holes, sand blasted, prepped, and spray painted them flat black to match the brackets.

A couple small issue is the seat adjustment rubs on the steel I put in, but it's still adjustable and doesn't prevent the seat from locking. It also only hits in about 30% of the adjustment range, but again, they still lock and in my position they don't hit. You could likely find a solution to make them not rub, but it doesn't bother me. Second, if you are tall this might suck for you. These brackets already sit a little high and this adds 3/16" of an inch to the height. I'm 5'8" and fit just fine though.

Some final fitment pictures:

If you need any other picture, just reach out and I can probably get it.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back