The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Knock, Misfire when cold...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TjPhillips36

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2007
Elkton, Maryland
I have a 98 Talon TSi AWD. It just started knocking the other day, and making another noise that sounds like piston slap but only when cold starting and warming up. The check engine light is on, and it's showing a misfire in cylinder 2.

I'm thinking it may be rings or the beginning of a bad bearing, any suggestions? :talon:

My first suggestion is to stop driving it, if you are getting knock then you may have spun a bearing due to crank walk.

If you end up swapping in a 6bolt and all you did was spin a bearing then the pistons are probably still good if you end up deciding to use them in a 6bolt.

If you would like to test the compression of the cylinders then you can get a compression tester at harbour freight tools for about $10-15 then you can be sure on what your compression is and weather or not your rings are shot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back