The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Into the 12's - Finally

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymoraitis

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2004
Utica, Michigan
I managed to hit the track tonight. Air temp was around 70 degrees and the wind was fairly mild at 10 mph across the track. The grip was so good that with 40 psi in the tires, the car bogged horribly at 5000 RPM on the line for the first run with a 2.16 60'. I ended up missing second and simply scrapped the run.

I re-staged afterwards and slipped it at 6000 RPM. The launch was a little soft, but I ended up running against a high 12 second 67 Camaro. It was one incredible drag race and although I was faster, he got out on me by a tenth. Nevertheless, my run broke down like this:

60' - 1.870
1/8 - 8.297 @ 84.99
1/4 - 12.950 @ 105.20

I shifted 7500-7200-7200 and she pulled hard all the way through the traps. Crossing the line, I was getting 5 counts of knock at 22 psi (no timing retarded). In retropect, having Jeff (DSM Chips) switch the A/F from 9.5:1 to 11:1 made all the difference in the world.

I'll be upgrading the stock sidemount and then we'll see how she does. Nevertheless, I'm thrilled and I know that with no extra parts, she could likely run a 12.70 if I get her off the line a bit better.

Thanks for reading and thanks to everyone who offered their help in getting me here.

Andy

awesome! i just went to the track tonight with my new setup. Car was a mid 12 before.. and pulled only 14's tonight on my 60-1! :notgood: Wouldnt shit to 3rd or 4th.. man i suck!

12's on the sidemount :thumb:

You should pickup a good 5mph atleast at that boost level with a FMIC.

My local track is so slippery that if I launch over 5000 I spin so bad that I cut 2.0's :cry:

CanadianTSi said:
12's on the sidemount :thumb:

You should pickup a good 5mph atleast at that boost level with a FMIC.

My local track is so slippery that if I launch over 5000 I spin so bad that I cut 2.0's :cry:

It should and I'm still debating FMIC or DejonTool SMIC. On my side, Muncie is usually slippery as well, but they had a big event over the weekend and track was incredibly sticky. I ended up riding out the clutch a bit too long and that's what made the 60' so soft. I was very pleased though that I picked up 5 mph from the previous trip when running a 9.5:1 A/F with 16 degrees of timing. The 11:1 made a huge difference.

Thanks for the props guys, but I know I could have done better!

Andy

good job! and you did it with the sidemount AND not lowering your tirepressure to 18psi ;) I knew it could be done.

DSMTalonAWD51 said:
good job! and you did it with the sidemount AND not lowering your tirepressure to 18psi ;) I knew it could be done.

Thanks DSM - I had to actually run HIGHER pressure to get it to work. With as much grip as the track had, I would have busted the drivetrain to pieces at 20-25 psi. I remember our experiences from running a 3000 GT VR4 in Bradenton (lots of grip) and we used to air those up to 44 and cut 1.7's all day. I actually ran mine at 40 and it worked well.

Be cool!

Andy

Good job! You got the 12! Nice that your track had good traction that night! :)
As said, track prep will make a big difference in the pressure you need to run. Wish NED would have anything close to that kind of traction on anything other than a musclecar event. They aren't favorable to street cars and imports with track prep. Of course slicks help make nice rubber on the track for traction, which we don't have on street nights. :(

As for your smic or fmic debate, I'd say it depends on what you want. A fmic would more than likely get better airflow than a smic because of the opening size and the larger face area. However, an intercooler is mostly a heat sink, which is partly why you can do 12's on the stock smic, but it is small so it can't absorb allot of heat before it gets heatsoaked. A larger smic will take longer before it gets heatsoaked. The other reason a larger intercooler is nice, it flows more air. The stock smic is kinda restrictive in that department. Either a fmic or upgraded smic will do the job of flowing more air and making more power. If you don't live in a hot area, and don't get on it a lot, a smic would be fine. If you want better cooling on the street, and/or you live in a hot area, a front mount will cool better.

Either way will be better than stock. Good luck to you and happy DSMing. I'm glad you got your goal! :thumb: :dsm:

Thanks Skier, I know you've been a big supporter and I appreciate it. I wish your track prep at NED was as good as what we had and I'm sure you'll be joining the club soon.

Thanks as well for the SMIC/FMIC information. I look at it this way. My goal is to be able to run my race chip on the street with pump gas (11:1 A/F with 23 degrees). I don't know if this will be possible, but I'd like to try to reach that goal. Currently, I use an 11:1 A/F at 16 degrees and I think I can feel a difference between the 16 and the 23. The reason I say that I think I can is that I haven't been able to dyno and know for sure.

At this point, I'll likely stay with the SMIC idea, add a hard lower pipe to it and call it a day. Track nights, especially this time of year can end up in the 50's which is great for power.

Thanks again for the help and support!

Andy

Way to go Andy!! Nice to see a 2G AWD DSM hitting 12's with a Big 16G on the stock sidemount and with an ACT2100 to boot! Well done.

Was this on pump or race gas?

Your success is giving me high hopes that my Talon is indeed capable of low-mid 12's on pump once I get an aftermarket clutch in there.

Nice work bro. Let us know what you think when you get that upgraded SMIC installed! :thumb:

Hey Edward!

Nice to hear from you sir. I ran primarily pump gas with a couple gallons of high octane mixed in for good measure. I think my aggregate octane after the mix came out to something like 98. Had I known that they had 100 octane VP near the track, I would have filled up on that instead.

I keep reading over your thread and our conversations about the Dejon SMIC and feel reassured that it's the right way to go. I'm hoping that I can run the high octane chip on the upgraded sidemount with 23 degrees of timing since it's absolutely beastly on the street. With better airflow and cooling, I'd like to see the car end up at around 12.50-12.60 before I start taking weight out (the driver could stand to lose a few pounds too).

On your setup, you should easily be able to pop some mid 12's with tuning and eventually drop it lower with some high octane. Go get 'em bro.

Cheers!

Andy

P.S. The 2100 would be more than enough clutch for those kinds of times. I love mine and it seems to hold up well with proper cool downs between runs.

i have the dejon sidemount and i like it but it just isnt enough. it is rated at like 335hp according to their site and it seems accurate because i am on the v-trim at 13 psi and the sidemount can barley support that, i knock still on long pulls from heat soak.
btw nice run, i love the look on the faces of the hardcore muscle car guys after you just ran um :tease: and in my opinion.. get a fmic

KAOTIC95gst said:
i have the dejon sidemount and i like it but it just isnt enough. it is rated at like 335hp according to their site and it seems accurate because i am on the v-trim at 13 psi and the sidemount can barley support that, i knock still on long pulls from heat soak.
btw nice run, i love the look on the faces of the hardcore muscle car guys after you just ran um :tease: and in my opinion.. get a fmic

Actually the Dejon Sidemount is rated for 400 on the site as is the HRC version. If they can run 12.2's on theirs, I can certainly shave a bit off and run somewhere in the 12.70's or better. It actually takes temps in the 70's or boost over 20 psi in that type of weather for me to trigger knock so I think it'll be OK for my purposes. Besides I like the stealth!

Thanks for the feedback and yes, the muscle car guys were impressed while the SRT4 drivers just looked pissed.

Andy

Congrats ANDY!!! 12's and SMIC, is better than my car was ever capable of.
Whats your elevation?

I am at 4650 ft above sea level.

I am putting the car back together this coming weekend, and a FMIC at the same time.

I'll keep you posted !!

Again welcome to the 12.xx Second club

gsxtacy

gsxtacy said:
Congrats ANDY!!! 12's and SMIC, is better than my car was ever capable of.
Whats your elevation?

I am at 4650 ft above sea level.

I am putting the car back together this coming weekend, and a FMIC at the same time.

I'll keep you posted !!

Again welcome to the 12.xx Second club

gsxtacy

Thanks Kelly,

I'm pretty darn close to sea level (950') so I know that had to help (Indiana is the land of flatness) . If you ran at my track, you'd probably crack those 12's too. Let me know when she's back together. I'll be rooting for you!

Andy

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back