The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How to check for ac leak?.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miguelmcv

Supporting Member
May 3, 2009
Fresno, California
I have read a lot of threads about how to check for leaks, But they all say to recharge and looks for leaks, which with soapy water can find the leak.
I am putting all ac back together, But I wouldn't like to spend on Freon just to check for leaks.
I would like to know, how to put air in the system to look for leaks, I don't know which port to use or how much pressure to put in, Do I have to put air in both ports?. If so, how much psi on each?.
I do have the gauges to put the Freon, But I have never used it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Well they do sell small cans of freon with die in it or just die and u add it thru the blue port the smaller one. But in order to check for leaks in the system the compressor must engage it won't if its empty. Sopy water works great for the condenser and lines but really you need die to check the compressor.
I personally would do a partial charge just enof for the compressor to turn on.

Pardon my spelling I'm polish :)

Let me know how it went

Like he said they sell a little "kit" at most parts stores which you just put it in the same way as freon and use a black light to find where it's leaking. Same concept as the dye for oil etc just in a nifty can like freon. Can't help with the air I've never personally seen or heard of anyone doing that, but if it is possible like it sounds that would be much cheaper LOL.

At work we use about 1oz of dye into your low side along with fully charging the system, run the car for about 5 minutes, then use a UV light to find the leak, make sure you check the compressor, ac condenser, and all of the cooling lines. Once we find the leak we evacuate all the freon back into our machine so its not wasted. Best of luck, and as stated previously you can pick up a dye kit at about any auto parts store with everything you need.

OK, I think I'm going to get the dye thing to check for leak, But do I have to add oil to the compressor, what kind of oil and how much?, or should I put the dye and run it.
Sorry for my dumy question, But I have never worked on AC stuffs.
Thanks for the help guys.

If you have the gauges that hook up to the system and access to nitrogen you could put 100psi of nitrogen into system and then check with soapy water. Since nitrogen is dry, non flammable, and doesn't mix or break down oil it's perfect. The system however would need to be put on a vacuum pump and then charged. Most auto shops can do this

+1 on the dye and uv light to find your leak. I would also get some PAG oil shot in there for your compressor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back