1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Help a newbie?

Posted by Vladam1re990, Apr 2, 2013

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Vladam1re990

Vladam1re990 Probationary Member

Joined Apr 2, 2013
    Gainesville, Florida
    Hey all, I'm a domestic muscle car guy who quite literally stumbled across a 91 talon turbo AWD on Craigslist. It's a daily at the moment, with 54k original miles. Threw the timing belt "pulling into his driveway"
    I'm no stranger to cars, but I am to interference engines. One question... How much money do yall think I'll have to throw in it to get it running and driving again??? its gonna be my daily that I slowly but surely trick out. Any thoughts/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Vladam1re990

245  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. stubull05

stubull05 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 21, 2011
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I would see 1200 being the most you would pay unless you found a cheaper independent shop or a local kid to do it that knows what they're doing. I'm sure gainsville is full of them :thumb:

If I were you, I would just pull the head and replace the rods if bent and just have someone time it for 300 - 500 bucks. There are plenty of write ups of how to do this.

3. EvilTsi95

EvilTsi95 Probationary Member

Joined Sep 29, 2009
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Well besides fixing the belt valves from the timing belt.. You should probably replace the water pump, timing belt, and timing belt tensioner as well. 54k miles is pretty close when recommended for all those to be replaced anyways. Just my opinion

201  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    · 2G DSM
  4. Vladam1re990

Joined Apr 2, 2013
    Gainesville, Florida
    Dude had just done all of the normal tune up type stuff including the water pump and timing belt (yadayada) when the belt blew. Definitely bent valves. I'm waiting to hear back from him, while scouring my junkyards looking for a head! Hahaha

Vladam1re990

245  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. 69_luv

69_luv Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2003
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There is a bolt that is shorter than the others on the timing cover, if he "just" did the timing belt and it snapped my guess is that he put the normal bolt in the short spot which causes belt to wear/snap.
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/401049-chewing-up-timing-belt.html

There is a pretty good DSM community in town and a couple that I can recommend to you if you want to just get it running. How soon do you need to get it back running? Shoot me an email to: cccspetersen@gmail.com and I can give you some names/numbers that have 1G parts. I might even have a set of 1G valves for you for cheap.

559  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    automatic · 2G DSM
  6. Vladam1re990

Joined Apr 2, 2013
    Gainesville, Florida
    Awesome man, thanks! I'm looking to get up and running ASAP. Trading my daily for it, so I gotta be able to get to work so I can dump my paychecks into it haha.

Vladam1re990

245  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. 90 TSI FWD

90 TSI FWD Proven Member

Joined Oct 26, 2004
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    If you need a hand, I'm in Gainesville til August. I'm graduating this semester, but won't be leaving until my lease ends. I'll be in Jax after anyway. I have a stash of old parts you may be able to use. How far have you gotten into it? Let me know.

3K  14

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.335 @ 125.45 · 1G DSM
  8. Vladam1re990

Joined Apr 2, 2013
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks man! I decided not to get the 1G, I'm a daddy who works full time so needed somethin drivable LOL. But I picked up a pretty sweet 2G FWD. youre welcome to come by and take a look! Got a little work to do on it LOL.

Vladam1re990

245  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM