The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Drivetrain Noise, fluids clean

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifte

20+ Year Contributor
May 12, 2003
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Have just managed 300 miles on the car and after a long drive parked it. Went to drive it a few days later and sounded as if I was dragging ice chunks or plastic under the car. I parked it looked it all over and found nothing. Noticed some play in the passenger front wheel. Checked it and the axle needed re torqued and front end was all tight. Drained the fluids came out like new, transfer case pink and trans fluid gold. It sounds like marbles bouncing around but its fairly aggressive. It'c currently parked and I need it asap! The only thing I could think it would be is center axle bearing or some other bearing? Drive shaft needs new carrier bearings but I'm well aware of the sound they make.

Makes sound while moving in gear or neutral, turning or using the clutch have no effect on the sound.

!!Resolved!!

Turns out it was a bad transmission bearing, but in the process chipped a tooth on a gear. This was the noise I was hearing. The basic rebuild cost me $1,100 and took them 7 weeks. :banghead:

Looks like its going to be a 100 mile tow back to the family shop. Hope when I start digging the problem becomes obvious because I am not a tranny guy!

I actually thawed the car and hosed it down with hot water at the fire station and we let it dry out. Its all clear of ice now. It sounds really bad sometimes and no I haven't been driving it I had to coast about 50' from the tow truck to the garage. So if it does it when coasting shouldn't this narrow down the possibilities? Will start the tear down tomorrow in search of the culprit. I think the first thing coming out will be the drive shaft and transfer case and really look them over. Then pop out the axles and see if i can feel and oddities where they go in the transmission.

Thanks for the thought though, it was the first thing I thought of too.

Progress!
Pulled transfer case and spun the front wheel as steadily and quickly as I could and Im sure I still heard something. So out came the transmission as well. Took some pictures but unable to upload here. Clutch seemed to have put off much more dust than I think it should. It also looked like the pressure plate may have come into contact with the clutch fork?

At this point I am leaning towards center differential as the culprit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back