The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Crashed the Nice Blue Talon Tonite!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurboGeoff

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2003
Redwood City, California
Hey everyone,
Well tonite sucked, I crashed my beloved blue talon.

The story is, I was racing my buddy Ryan in his 14 flat Mustang 5.0, it was a typical night, not only was i eager to race him, it was my first race in this car from a stop. We went to the usual spot on Runnymede rd. right by 280. We lined up, but it was different than before, we were much closer to the end of the road than usual, Now runnymede road is a 3/4 mile stretch that ends in a sharp turn which we were headed to. Well, i was sitting there holding my revs at 4500 - 5000, when the arms went down, i let the clutch out. I immediately gained 2 car lengths on him off the line as he sat there spinning. When it was time to hit 2nd, i went to put it in but it resisted like a BAD DSM tranny, so i basically missed the gear, it took forever for it to go in. He gained those 2 cars back, we were now almost dead even. I started to pull again and got another 1/2 car length by the time 3rd gear came around. It was time to shift into 3rd, the only problem was that i missed that damn gear as well and ended up taking a few seconds to get into gear. HE had then passed me and had 1/2 car length on me. By now i was pretty pissed and right when we passed the finish line i had 1 foot on him, it was pathetic. Little did i know that the turn was coming up, because it had not occured to me since we started closer to the turn. I tried slowing down but the tires locked up since my datalogger was plugged in and i had no ABS. I keept sliding, and then slid straight into a ditch and then into a fence in the ditch.

After realizing what had happened i somehow thought i had to call a tow truck, but realizing i have AWD saved my ass, i threw it in 1st and shot straight out of this 6 foot steep ass ditch.

All in all, minimal damage, i need a new mirror and front right fender, and a new paintjob. But i learned these lessons:

1) Dont street race on a road you dont know ( or dont race period)
2) Make sure your ABS is working
3) Make sure your PS is working ( My belt was removed for testing.)
4) Dont race until you can shift correctly.

Im Done
-Geoff

Ya, ill post them later, Its actually not as bad as i thought, it needs a new passenger mirror and passenger front fender of which i already bought for under $50. Then all it needs is a paintjob, luckily my good friend owns a paintshop and he can hook me up.

Im still feel like an idiot though.

You dumb ####. If it had been a couple months later, I woulda bought that car on the spot and treated it right.

Naw j/k, it happens... I need a new front pass. side fender myself. :cry:

You missed 2 out of 3 gears? You probably would have missed 1st gear too, if you didn't have time to put it into gear while staging. Street racing is questionable enough by itself but you are the reason why it has gotten as much negative attention as it has been lately. Two essential mistakes occured here. If you can't drive worth a damn and aren't bright enough to familiarize youself with the road of which upon you will be racing, please do the rest of us a favor and obey the posted speed limits. Also, what is this ABS bs comment? Many cars don't have ABS and they brake just fine. It's called pumping your brakes.

I am just frustrated hearing stories like these from 18 year olds trying to fabricate lame-ass excuses for their idiocy. I am glad you didn't get hurt, however I would appreciate it if you would not race unless you learn how to drive properly first OR at the very least keep these daft stories to yourself.

Ya man, i was being stupid, i missed two gears because i was nervous as hell and my tranny is in shitty condition.

Do you think i care about getting flamed, im not a ####y, flaming on the internet just shows how much of a looser you are, i guarantee nobody that flames me on the internet will flame me in person.

My car is in perfect running shape, i baby it and maintain it meticulously, the shitty tranny is the nature of the DSM, ive owned/worked on many of them, and unless you have a shep tranny, youve got to get used to shifting them while racing. This was my first race with the car and i had no prior experience drag racing with this platform.

Did you you pull a noob move and slam on the brakes? Or like a experienced driver would have done, (at least myself to prevent harm) down shift to high rpms and pump. Like said before, no how to drive before racing. Down shifting would have kept you out of the ditch because obviously based on your damage to your car you can get the assumption that your rate of speed when leaving the road was not that fast, plus you would have KEPT CONTROL OF YOUR VEHICLE and been able to turn away. Instead you sheet your pants, locked em up, and said "hold on"
Here is a question that will answer your driving skills. What happended to the Mustang? Only a foot ahead? Was he in the ditch with you?
Your profile says alot as well, and this is why people would flame you
18 YO, Probably High, Can do all the work on your car, but not enough experience on the road to handle it.
Anyways Good Luck fixing it :thumb:

Alright I won't flame you too hard since at least it sounds like you learned a lesson. Of course you will probably be back out there racing again by this weekend.

For one, Yes I think street racing is a jackass attemt to recreate a semi legitimate sport.

For two ABS is for people who don't know how to drive. If you don't know how to threashold brake you shouldnt' be driving on public roads let alone racing of any kind.
GermanDSM You make yourself sound almost as inteligent telling him to pump his brakes. That is a half true wives tale passed down, again for people who don't know how to drive. Does any one think F1 drivers pump their brakes coming into a corner to maximize traction?
third and final rant. Keep your mind on the road and your present situation at all times. Either you were outdriving your headlights, or you were checking your makeup, either way your asking for trouble.
Again this isn't directed completely at you. It sounds like you learned something and if this really is something you want to do maybe it will motivate you to go to a driving school or even better try to get a job at one and next time try to take it to the track. It just amazes me how many people are out there racing or doing crazy stunts when if you asked them about vehicle dynamics they would look at you the way I look at someone asking me an astropsysics question.
Glad to hear it went down as smoothly as it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back