The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Blown Ignition Fuse..solved.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftKidGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2003
Cerritos, California
While I was driving my car hard on my way home today my car turned off all of a sudden. I try to start it again while it was still in motion but it didn’t crank over at all and the nightmare began. :mad: So I checked the fuse, which was the obvious thing to do, and I noticed that the Ignition Switch fuse was blown. Well, I start working on it and found out what the problem was. :)

So I Mickey Mouse the wiring and got my car up and running again…like if it never blew the fuse… the harness that I disconnected has a single white wire. It’s located next to the clutch rod with two other large harnesses. Disconnect that one and then go back to the fuse box and check with a voltmeter to see if you get 12 volts. If you do then your situation is different form mine and tells you that your short is located in the engine bay. This is a good way to find out what section of the car you have your short at… Now if you get a reading with 0 volts then your short is somewhere under the dashboard and thats what i had. Get a 8-6-gauge wire and get the proper connecters and hook it up to the harness that is coming from the firewall.

19403Eclipse_013_Small_.jpg

Now your going to have to remove the lower part of the dashboard to access the ignition switch harness. Disconnect it and remove the end part that is blue with a small flat head. Once you have removed the blue part off, your going to need to remove the thick white wire that is causing all this mess. That wire should be running a positive current but is not. Now with the other wire that you have rigged from the firewall your going to get the other end of it and replace the white wire with it…that should be it.

19403Eclipse_015_Small_.jpg

Fire it up and your good to go. If you still have any other questions or if I wasn't clear enough, PM me. Hope this helps some of you guys!

Joey 99GSX

I finally fixed the problem the correct way and found out what was causing my short… What I illustrated previously was a way to get you going with out finding the short. The cause was a faulty sunroof module. The weird thing about it was that we have a fuse for it inside the car but it didn’t blow. The easy way to find out if that’s the cause is to pull that fuse out it will no longer blow your ignition fuse…I took the module to get it checked before I burned 140 for a new one. I took it to an electronics store and they said that it was a bad unit...duh! There was no short, but a surge…sounds the same to me. Anyhow, here is where its located and how it looks like.

Joey 99GSX

Attachments

• Eclipse (Small).jpg
    Eclipse (Small).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 224
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back