The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G AWD Fuel Tank removal without dropping subframe?[POSSIBLE]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kryndon

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2014
Bulgaria, Europe
UPDATE: Managed to drop the tank successfully without removing subframe, see my second reply.

Hey all,

Finally started pulling the tank off to see what's causing the constant fuel leaks on fill-ups and sudden accelerations (as well as constant fumes). I found out that the smaller rubber hose that runs along the filler neck has been completely torn, so I am suspecting that to be the main culprit. However, since I'm there, I want to fully drop the tank to inspect it and give it a good cleaning.

From the picture, you can see the rubber line that's torn. However, the tank doesn't want to slide off. I think I need to remove the splash guard underneath it, but only one bolt is left which is at such an angle that I can't fit neither a wrench, nor a socket onto it. I have marked it with a yellow arrow so you can get an idea of where it sits.

Does anyone know if it's 100% possible to drop the AWD tank WITHOUT removing the subframe? Do I have to pry on it somehow to get access to that bolt, or should I make a small groove in the subframe so I can get enough clearance to get the socket on that damn bolt?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
So it is in fact possible. I went and got one of those special little swivel extensions which managed to fit just enough to unbolt the last bolt holding the splash shield. You can see how it fits in the pic below:

Mind you, I had to support and lift the front end of the tank with a jack and then pry just next to the socket so I could fit it onto the bolt. Otherwise the trajectory of the bolt head is directly facing that edge on the subframe, so you can't really use anything else as far as I tried. That's a 1/8" socket on 12mm head.

Anyway, I found the actual problem; the return line on the filler neck is rotted away (or eaten by them pesky molerats), and the 90 degree elbow that comes off the tank is also broken. I'm not sure how I can fix that, as I'm not certain if the plastic is a thermoplastic or thermoset; one can't be melted and glued back. So in conclusion, if you ever get huge spills of gas and lots of fumes, check your hoses people :D!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back