The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

AFPR... do i need one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sephroth57

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2002
Barnegat, New_Jersey
all my mods are in my profile, but my fuel mods are

255 Walbro High Pressure
550 RC injectors
SAFC

i dont really know much about fuel pressure but from what most people say that large pump will be overunning my stock FPR. what effect would this have? i have a logger and according to my logs im pretty well tuned my o2 stays around .94 at WOT and timing advances normally. would a overrun FPR show up in logs ? like would i be really rich or wouuld my tuning not be right or something... basicly do i need a AFPR, and how will it help me

With a 190 lph you might be able to get away without one. With a 255 you definitely need one. And get a fp gauge. Otherwise they're useless.

-M

Every car is different. With a 255 pump, my first reaction would be that you need an AFPR. However.... check your Long Term Fuel Trims. If they don't go below -12.5 or over +12.5 after 10-15 of cruising/idling around, you probably don't need an AFPR.

After seeing someone use a B&M Commandflo to *decrease* fuel pressure, (something that is supposed to be impossible) I don't take anything for granted anymore.

I have a Supra TT fuel pump, and not only did I have to install an AFPR, but I also had to replace the stock fuel return line with something bigger when I rewired it! It turns out the 2G fuel return line is smaller than the 1Gs for some reason. Oh well. Between that stuff and the 850cc injectors, I don't have to worry about fuel.... ever. :rolleyes:

Good luck, I hope you don't have to spend as much money as I did. :mad:

I run a 225l pump with no AFPR and 550 injectors on an AFC with NO PROBLEMS at all nothing. My car is tuned by a site wiseman and there is no problem in my setup running the big pump with the stock FPR. Everyone will have a differnet opinion on this. In my case I don't need one and wouldn't buy one till I did if ever.

how would i know if i needed one, cause like i said my timing and o2 look pretty good. im trying to narrow down my problems cause something in the car just doesnt feel right its just not as fast as it should be

You may have to lean out the afc a tad. O2s aren't the best way to tune, but .94 is still on the rich side unless you are logging in 1st gear LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back