The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A Swappable Engines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiousECLIPSE

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2004
Mankato-Area, Minnesota
Are there any engines that are swappable with the 420A? I know the 4g63 isn't.

I understand any engines are swappable with the right amount of money, but are there any engines you can directly replace the 420A with (that have more power, of course)?

not directly to my knowledge. i just went a bought another 420A and rebuilt it cause i really don't feel like upgrading to turbo. but if you really want alot more power you should look into doing a 4g63 swap. it is a much better motor just takes a little bit of swapping stuff around.

Attachments

• 500x700.jpg
    500x700.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,233
4g63 swap? Easy? Ha.

Try fabbing an entirely new engine mount.

well i didn't say "easy". just stating it's a better motor to go with if you are willing to do the work. sorry if you took it that way. but as far as i know there isn't a motor that swaps directly with a 420A.

If your looking for more power then build on what you got, or sell it and get a 4g63, trust me ive been down that road thinking im going to take a 420a and making it a 4g63, its not impossible but youd be wasting alot of time and money with all the wiring headaches youll run into.

But to answer your question there is no direct bolt in motor.

that's what i thought. and from what i heard building a 420A into a turbo and trying to get the same performance outta it as a 4g63 you'd be cheaper just doing the complete engine swap but that's just what i heard. :|

Okay, people took my question the complete other way.

I know the 4g63 swap isn't an option, really. I was asking if there were any engines directly swappable with the 420a.

I've heard or rather read that cloud car engines(cirrus, breeze etc) the lower blocks are usable by us. As to direct fit, I don't know, for some reason in chryslers infinite wisdom decided to make our heads mount differently.

well i wouldn't doubt that is true cause the 420a is a chrysler motor. but as far as anything other then a 420a fitting directly without any mods nope brah you're outta luck.

there are no direct swaps. however, taking a chrysler 2.4L block and mating our DOHC head to it will give you a considerable power and even more of a torque gain. the swap is not direct, you need to do some fabrication on one of our motor mounts, injector and spark firing order needs changing along with some cam sensor and crank sensor stuff. ive never done it but the limited reading ive done on it has told me that. its not easy and its not a direct swap but its the closest we have and has a pretty good power gain

GSGoinFast said:
there are no direct swaps. however, taking a chrysler 2.4L block and mating our DOHC head to it will give you a considerable power and even more of a torque gain. the swap is not direct, you need to do some fabrication on one of our motor mounts, injector and spark firing order needs changing along with some cam sensor and crank sensor stuff. ive never done it but the limited reading ive done on it has told me that. its not easy and its not a direct swap but its the closest we have and has a pretty good power gain
What chris said. :thumb:

Why bother ... if you're going to do an engine swap such as a 4g63 in a n/t 2g ( considering the time and money is not worth it ) then do something crazy like an lt1 and convert it to rwd. Lt1s can be had for cheap and realistically it's not that difficult to do the swap. Just take a lot of time and probably a lot of money. I think thats what I may do with my daily driver :shhh:

GSGoinFast said:

Chris is correct. I'll append... There is also the matter of picking and chosing which alternator/PS/AC compressor/water pump/tBelt tensioner you can use along with the bracketry to mount them. It's a mess of 2GNT, Neon, SRT4 and PTC parts and brackets. Some people I know are using a 1G motor mount as the basis of their custom mounts. They look pretty cool. Other little things include modifying the oil dipstick, as the pan is now different from either the one on the 2.4L and the pan used on it. Different people are doing it different ways, but when they run, they sound mean. If I had known this rebuild was going to cost me over $2000 and six months down time, I would have done this swap. 2.L all motor Neons are into the 12s with this set up... Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

If this is something you're really interested in, I'm pretty sure you're going to see more than a handful of boosted 2.4L 2GNTs at the Shootout this year. You ought to do some homework and come out to talk shop with the guys getting it done. It won't be long until this is as mysterious as a HRC turbosystem.

dr1665 said:
Chris is correct. I'll append... There is also the matter of picking and chosing which alternator/PS/AC compressor/water pump/tBelt tensioner you can use along with the bracketry to mount them. It's a mess of 2GNT, Neon, SRT4 and PTC parts and brackets. Some people I know are using a 1G motor mount as the basis of their custom mounts. They look pretty cool. Other little things include modifying the oil dipstick, as the pan is now different from either the one on the 2.4L and the pan used on it. Different people are doing it different ways, but when they run, they sound mean. If I had known this rebuild was going to cost me over $2000 and six months down time, I would have done this swap. 2.L all motor Neons are into the 12s with this set up... Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

If this is something you're really interested in, I'm pretty sure you're going to see more than a handful of boosted 2.4L 2GNTs at the Shootout this year. You ought to do some homework and come out to talk shop with the guys getting it done. It won't be long until this is as mysterious as a HRC turbosystem.

wow turbo 2.4's will be sick... i heard that idle video from i think it was turbo8u? that thing sounded like an angry pig idleing and i accidently let myself go ;) i cant wait for the shoot out!

Okay I know the answer to this one, but I just gotta see the replys to it,

What about the SRT4 engine>

On another more realistic note, where/when is the shoot out going to be held this year?

BigRand said:
Okay I know the answer to this one, but I just gotta see the replys to it,

What about the SRT4 engine>

On another more realistic note, where/when is the shoot out going to be held this year?

no. look around theres already been threads about that and the general concensus is no.

shoot out is august 12-15 i believe, and its in norwalk ohio again.

Will any 420a block from neon's, avengers, sebrings, bolt
directly into our engine bays and what years???

From my understanding the lower block will, but the head will not, ours is backwards. The neons have the intake on the front of the motor and the exhaust on the back. In sumation, lower block :thumb: ; head :notgood:

Redmachine said:
From my understanding the lower block will, but the head will not, ours is backwards. The neons have the intake on the front of the motor and the exhaust on the back. In sumation, lower block :thumb: ; head :notgood:

Thanks, Its hard to find imports around this area (small town)
at least now i know i can use another block if i ever need to..
Everything else i can always order.

Does anyone know what parts have to be swaped, or
is it just the head, exhaust manifold and intake manifold??

aztek_warrior said:
Thanks, Its hard to find imports around this area (small town)
at least now i know i can use another block if i ever need to..
Everything else i can always order.

Does anyone know what parts have to be swaped, or
is it just the head, exhaust manifold and intake manifold??
Check it. The guy above you just said you can't use the head. You get the short block. Engine block, crankshaft, pistons, rods. You should upgrade to forged internals when you rebuild. Do some more homework on pistons/rods and you'll get all the information you need.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back