The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Speed Chips, Custom MAS, and Nothing at all

What MAS are you using?

• Dejon Tool MAS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GM MAS with MAF Translator

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Custom Built MAS

• "Speed Chip" Resistor

• Stock MAS (Nothing at all)

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefworddotorg

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2003
Hollywood, Florida
I was wondering if anyone was using the 'speed chip' resistors going into their MAS plug, or if anyone has actually hacked their own little MAS. I'm planning on making one. If anyone also knows the voltage, resistance, and descriptions of each pin of the MAS. Thanks

First off... I wouldn''t waist your time making one of the "speed chips" like you see on Ebay for the MAF plug.
If you think about it or do a little homework, all it does it cause a rich condition and can actually cause harem to your engine.
Hacking the MAF can be worth while though. I personally run an Al blah MAF and use a SafcII to tune it.
Just my 2cents worth

2 cents? I hope you dont mean cost. What MAS is it you're using? Hacked or Aftermarket?

Buy saying "Just my 2Cents worth", I mean that it is just my opinion.
As for the MAF that I run.. It is a Professionaly modified unit. It not only has all of the regular maods that you read about, but it also has a bunch of electrical mods made to the sensors themselves. It is called an Al Blah MAF because that is the name of the guy who created them. If you run one, you will need a SAFCII or something similar to control it and tune it to your car.
You can find them on the web or at other DSM sites like ClubDSM.

Hmm... So im guessing theres no easy cheap way outta this. Well what about using the sensors and electronics from the stock MAS and placing them on a pvc pipe, which is what I plan to do. Any ideas?

Well, you "could" do that. But it will take alot of work on your part to get the sensors working properly again.
There are alot of ways to hack, moddify or replace the retrictive 1G maf.

1) hack it.
2)replace it with a 2G.
3) replace it with a Al Blah unit.
4) Replace it with a 3" GM unit and a MAF Translator.

What exactly are you trying to gain and I wil help you out.:)
Ken

Thanks for being so patient. Well what im trying to gain is simply CAI for now. I don't even have turbo yet. But I plan on doing what most people do by customizing a pipe to the cold air tunnel and putting a sensor somewhere between. The sensor isnt exactly round heh. And the 2g sensor... what do those look like? Will they fit?
Thanks

A 2G MAF is a little better flowing than a stock 1G. It is shaped a bit different which is part of what gives it a better flow. It will fit in place of your MAf and filter can but requires you to add a few wires to the MAF plug.
If you are wanting to run a cold air intake, your actual BEST MAF would be a GM unit. This is a flow through design and is really easy to do. It is a bit pricey though, but is the best thing you can do as far as better flow with the MAF. You will need a 3 inch GM MAF. (can be found on Ebay or any local salvage yard, or even bought new from a parts store.... I'd go the Ebay route)
You will also need a MAF Traslator. This is a small box with electronics inside it to make the GM MAF read the way our cars do. This is the mose excpensive part... usually about $100-$130. The best part abouyt using the GM MAF and Translator is that you can now run any kind of pipe and any kind of filter that you want... Therefore making your cold air intake a TRUE cold air.
I'll set you uo with some pictures if you would like.
Ken

Wow, a MAF Translator for $100-$130, my question is where? No ebay, heh. They're begging for $200 flat. As for GM MAS, that'll be $40-$60. So over 200 dollars excluding piping or filter, no so fancy. I'd like to see some 2g MAS pictures if you gotta any. I was at a stupid Galant meeting (these cats were ricers down in south florida) and I was think of using their MAS but it has a 7 pin plug and the 1G got 6. How many does the 2G have? And as for the MAF Translator, its silly to pay for electronics that are already in your car and you can't tweak. I guess a SAFC would be the best for tweaking, but I'm on a budget. I'm gonna head over to the junkyard, pull another 1G MAS, steal the electronics, the resistor, and the two sensors on the inside, and put it all on a PVC pipe. Stupid? Who knows... right?

Is there directions of what wires to change or to do what when replacing 1g maf with stock 2g ?

or can somebody make directions ? thx. :dsm: :thumb:

and are you talking about g63t maf sensor or 420a ?

Originally posted by thefworddotorg
Wow, a MAF Translator for $100-$130, my question is where? No ebay, heh. They're begging for $200 flat. As for GM MAS, that'll be $40-$60.

Yes a GM MAF will cost you between $25.00 and $75.00.. depending on where you get it and how long you search. I have bought them for $25.00 and I have bought them for well over $75.00 for a ported one... just depends on the time you want to put into the search.
As for the MAF Traslator, you "can" find used ones on Ebay from time to time for under $100.00... again it depends on the amount of time that you are willing to put into it. The GM MAF and Traslator is the BEST flowing option. but for this, it is also the most expensive... you get what you pay for.
As for using a 2G Maft from a 4g63, there is only one or two wires that need to be changed.... I'll post the full instuctions in my next post.

As for the "making your own maft with the sensors and the pvc pipe"... well, i've seen others do this and we have yet to flow bench one that flowed better than a stock or slightly hacked factory 1G maft. But then, you may have better luck, right? :)

Ken

Here are the compleat instructions on how to run a 2G MAF in your 1G... :D
Just click the link below, Then click on INTAKE in the uppper right of the catagory box. Then scroll down to the sectioned named..""2G MAF in a 1G TEL/GVR4"". It is the 9th listing from the top.

http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

Ken

is that wiring same for turbo and n/t engines ?

Hmm... Kinda like what he did there. Thanks for the info. But I've got a completely different plan... heh PVC time... I'm gonna try it, thanks for the help :thumb:

Originally posted by teme
is that wiring same for turbo and n/t engines ?

That is for the TURBO MAS.. but the N/T would be similar, you just need to look at he wire diagram for a N/T.

Originally posted by thefworddotorg
Hmm... Kinda like what he did there. Thanks for the info. But I've got a completely different plan... heh PVC time... I'm gonna try it, thanks for the help :thumb:

best of luck to you. Let me know how it goes and if you want, make a step by step and I will post it on my board. You can include pitures if you want, that would be really cool. Either way, let me know how it turns out for you

Can do, thanks. I just gotta go to the yard and pick up another MAS and then I'll get started and have the pics. Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back