The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Would you suggest trying timing belt replacement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esoteric

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2010
PA, SK_Canada
I know of vfaq and the youtube vid on how to do it on a 1g however, I don't really feel comfortable trying it however it will cost me 850$ for parts and labour to get it done at a shop.

I am debating if its worth diving into and trying myself (I have never done any serious engine work) or paying out the rear for a sure thing with a warranty.

If your mechanically incline I say go for it. Plan it for a weekend. I would suggest getting a Haynes manual to help you out, and make sure you have all the proper tools and you'll need a case of beer too :)
good luck

$850!! OMG
Where did you go...the going rate for a timing belt replacement (at least in jerz) is in the $350-$500 range and that's with the parts. I would say if your not up to the challenge then shop around a little more

$850!! OMG
Where did you go...the going rate for a timing belt replacement (at least in jerz) is in the $350-$500 range and that's with the parts.

$850 doesn't sound that far off to me, as crazy as it seems. I doubt if anyone around here would touch a DSM t-belt replacement for $500 ($600 maybe).

OP - It's more intimidating than it is difficult. If you can twist a wrench, are somewhat mechanically inclined and can search the internet and read, you'll do fine.

Like most things car-related (but a little more so), a t-belt job is all about patience and attention to detail.

Thats a lot of money i 400 around here sounds better i did mine the first time, took a while, but if your unsure it could cost more money than you want to spedn if your belt slips. Head gasket, valve job way too damn much, let the pro do it, not to worry then.

There's only two things that are difficult. First is just getting the front cover off. There's about 3 hidden bolts that will really get you cussing. Other is setting tension on the belt the first time.

The thing to ask yourself is if you are going to just take your cars to a mechanic each time you need some work done or do you want to learn how to do things yourself and put the money you save towards upgrades.

$850CA is about $829 in US Dollars ... but that includes labour at about $100CA/hr - just a quoted rate.

I did my belt job (all with the necessary parts from my Mitsu dealer) for $310.00, 2 yrs ago .

It was my first time at doing a 4G63, but done many other OHC vehicles that wasn't so technical as this motor is, but it was a good learning experience going through some trial and error as I went, but got the thing all dialed in correctly and it still runs great.

I spent two days taking my time in doing this task, but it was well worth it.

-Good luck...DSM

Hmm I am thinking I might give it a shot, still very unsure about it though, haven't done any real mechanical work in ages.

Super Strong Timing Belt

Thinking of giving it a shot with that.

Any tips or tricks for me before I give this a go? I do know I need to be at top dead center, how do I go about getting there? (not knowing how to get to TDC is a big reason I am shying away from this project)

Sorry man, 850 is just way TOO MUCH! My mechanic quoted me around 500 for t-belt and water pump replacement. That guy is just trying to get one over on you, I for one would tell him to shove it. Shop around, as a customer you have the option of going wherever you want, and frankly I'd stay away from that place.

Sorry man, 850 is just way TOO MUCH! My mechanic quoted me around 500 for t-belt and water pump replacement. That guy is just trying to get one over on you, I for one would tell him to shove it. Shop around, as a customer you have the option of going wherever you want, and frankly I'd stay away from that place.

That's the cheapest you can get up here. Most people won't even touch them, at this point I will probably just do it myself.

I'm sure with the value of the Canadian Dollar, is prob the reason why things can be more expensive since we don't know the cost of living across the border, yet let's look a the other side of the coin: is $850.00 worth the shop's price - is he good, or just jacking the price up? Then, if one say that his shop charges $550.00 for the same job - is his shop worth that price, or is he cutting prices with lesser paid shop help why he can drive the price down?

Just numbers to toss out for all to see... - DSM

I say go for it. I just did my first timing belt last weekend. plus i did the balance shaft eliminator kit too. so it made it alittle more tricky for my first time. but everything went really smooth because of all the info and tips on these boards :) started the car up and ran great i really thought it would be alot worse than it was but u will find it easy. Just make sure you look everything over good and make sure everything is lined up and you will do great.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back