The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Won't start when cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david-b

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Hey all;

I've had electrical issues with the car since I bought it 4 years ago and winters have always been a pain. In the summer, car starts fine no problems and battery was always good. When it got cold, battery would die.

I traced the drain to something on the cig lighter circuit so that fuse is pulled and power has not been an issue since. While the drain was still there and it got really cold, I would turn the key, all the dash lights would come on as normal, sit there for a couple seconds, and then start cranking. Most of the times though, it would sit there for a couple seconds, try cranking and then battery would go dead. So fixed the drain and bought new battery.

I'm still sort of having that hesitant issue though when starting. For the most part, it's been fine. Turn the key and may wait a second before it starts cranking. But there's been 3 times now that is was very cold, I go to start the car, all lights go on, battery is fully juiced, and it just doesn't crank. It's almost like something's frozen. Again, the battery is great, all my electrical is fine, but it just doesn't crank. Starter is about 8 months old or so, so it shouldn't be that. And besides when it does this, the start works perfect. Hell I barely have to touch the key and it cranks up.

It's parked in a car port in an alley, so I can't get it rolling and try starting except for about 4 feet front/back. I also start the car on a daily basis even if I'm not going anywhere (force of habit from other cars in winter)

Anyone ever have this before? Or any ideas on what's going on? I need to have this car be able to start every day no matter what temp it is.

Thanks guys!

When you turn the key to crank it, is power reaching the starter?

Alternator output is acceptable? (13-15V)

When cranking, (or attempting to) the voltage in the battery shouldn't drop too far. What is the voltage drop?

Also I'm running 5w-30 synthetic. Doing more research it says that is the better choice for cold weather anyways, but just thought I'd throw that in there.

When you turn the key to crank it, is power reaching the starter?

Alternator output is acceptable? (13-15V)

When cranking, (or attempting to) the voltage in the battery shouldn't drop too far. What is the voltage drop?

I'm assuming the power reaches the starter. Like I said it only does it when really cold, and no problems at all outside of that. When I turn the key to crank, the lights do dim just a little like it would normally. One time this happened I kept trying for a good 1/2 hour or so, so turning the key, playing with the lights and all. I went out the next day when it was a wee bit warmer and it turned right over. Plenty of voltage still there.

Charges at ~14.5v. Alt tested fine mid-summer.

It doesn't drop too far. I actually took out my volt gauge recently to add a WB, but according to the radar detector it doesn't throw a warning.

Anyone else? I don't mean to rush but again today she didn't start. Battery is sitting at 12.5v. Same exact thing today... everything works fine but turn key and nothing happens.

Ok was out there freezing my ass off tonight. A buddy told me on his Firebird he had the same problem and it turned out to be the PCV valve oddly enough. My PCV hose has had moisture on it (I think mostly oil) since I turboed it so decided to check it. Here's what I did tonight...

-Took off PCV valve just because (ended up breaking it, super fragile tonight)
-Unplugged coilpack
-Unplugged coolant temp sensor
-Reset SAFC
-Turned off TT
-Pumped clutch
-Went through all gears couple times.(was cold and hard)
-Check ALL connections to relays, starter, battery... everywhere
-Tried jumping it with battery jumper
-Turned on the heat with fan on in car (I was desperate for ideas)
-Gave the starter a good couple whacks
-Gave starter a good rub down (trying to warm it up)

All this with absolutely no change. Dash lights on, no crank/click/life nothing. I figure if it's still a no-start tomorrow, I may wrap the starter in a thick warm towel and let it sit for awhile. I read online someone took a blow dryer to their starter and that worked, thus the idea. However, no garage and no power at my car port equals no blow dryer.
!!!!!HELP!!!!!

sounds like the contacts in the starter selenoid might be pitted to where when the plunger is pulled by the selenoid, the plunger isnt making connection with the contacts....could be a weather issue there...

sounds like the contacts in the starter selenoid might be pitted to where when the plunger is pulled by the selenoid, the plunger isnt making connection with the contacts....could be a weather issue there...

So what does this mean? Everything on the starter had good connections.

The switch has been disabled for a long time.

I ran a wire to the starter from the battery and it's just spinning. Not even cranking the motor. My battery was dead and charger was almost dead so it's charging and I will go back out later.

I took the starter out and seen that the wires to the starter are slightly melted together from the heat of the turbo. I couldn't see any copper showing but I think there may have been a problem there. I wanted to take the starter to get tested but I would have to take the turbo out and I was freezing. It's about 10 degrees right now.

I am not trying to hijack this thread but the SAME EXACT THING IS HAPPENNING TO ME!!! I have a 90 awd and it all started when it started getting cold; turn the key and nothing would happen. I replaced the ecu with a freshly rebuilt eprom from motoguys because that was what people were saying and caps were leaking. No change. I then replaced power transistor, still no change. Then the plugs and wires. nothing. The coolant temp sensor, nothing. The other day I put in a brand new starter. no change. Then I changed the battery the other day and it worked...for two days. I went to go move my car off the street tonight (its about 30* out) and it took about 20 mins to start. I tried it all; turn headlights on/off, turned heat on/off, foglights, blinkers, tt, etc. Finally it kicked and I could move it. Volts are good when running (alt is fine). I checked all wires to starter, everything fine no corrosion and all grounds clean. I have not replaced the coil pack bc when it is running spark is fine. I cannot figure this out for the life of me!! PLEASE HELP! again sorry for hijacking.

Pete

any help from anyone would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Pete

Not hi-jacking... same problem

With mine, I took the starter to Pepboys to get tested and it passed 10 times in a row. Took my battery back to Sears (got in September this year) and the thing blew up in the charger. They gave me a new one, I put it all back together and so far it's been working good. No problems starting yet but it hasn't been too cold yet. Started 2 days in a row so far. So we'll see once it starts getting cold and snowy again.

I have the same problem on my 2g. It didn't start, got tow by the city, got it back, charge the battery, and it was fine since, then I started putting a bottle of Heet every time I fill up. It worked wonderful til today, it wouldn't start. It was -20 over night in chicago. I can't wait til this winter to be over. When's winter over usually?

I have the same problem on my 2g. It didn't start, got tow by the city, got it back, charge the battery, and it was fine since, then I started putting a bottle of Heet every time I fill up. It worked wonderful til today, it wouldn't start. It was -20 over night in chicago. I can't wait til this winter to be over. When's winter over usually?

Ya it was cold as shit walking to work downtown today. Usually have the last snow storm in April.

On topic, my car still dies. I went to Hawaii so it sat for a week under a foot of snow and it's mad dead. So I guess I still have a drain somewhere. Buying a better charger this weekend and getting it running.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back