The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What kind of turbo for a beginner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeko21

Probationary Member
Sep 28, 2010
Lake Quinault, Washington
I just got a 1992 Eagle Talon FWD with the 4G63nt engine. I want to go turbo but have never been down this road before. I am doing some research but am still just a noob. Can someone please tell me what a good turbo would be to start out with? I am only wanting to run 6 to 8 psi to begin with. I dont have a lot of money so I cant afford to swap out internals at the moment. I just want something to start out on that wont give me any boost creep or crankwalk.

I would go with a stock setup. Junkyards are your best friend for cheap parts. Go with a 14b as you can get them for cheap. I'm shure you can find a GS-t in the junkyard and snatch the wire harness and everything to make yours a GS-t for cheap. TD05H is the stock turbos and they are 100% bolt on.

Running boost on a NT isn't a bad idea but its not the smartest. I recomend upping your injectors to stock 450cc MT or 390cc AT. Get the ECU from a turbo model with for the correct injectors and you should be ok. If you can find a 1994 turbo model it might have an eprom ECU. Eprom ECU's are rare and very nice to have when trying to tune your DSM.

+ 1

It seems like every thread you read about someone just buying a DSM, whether it's their first or not, has this question "What parts...", "What turbo...", "How do I make it faster..."

and you can count on someone saying, "Do the maintenance first..."

Why? Because it IS true, and that's what will keep your car running so you CAN buy those performance parts. After you've done the service to make sure EVERYTHING is in the best operating level as it can be, then follow the upgrade path.

If you're not looking to run too much boost, then I agree with a stock setup, and OEM parts (where applicable). I know that a 14B turbo is more than sufficient, but as far as the conversion itself- n/t to n/t turbo, the folks and forums on here will help you. I have not a clue.

Op im in the exact same boat as u I wana turbo my car and run under 9psi but i don't have the money to upgrade pistons and ect. I'm in no hurry because its almost winter in I.L. and my talons my dd so I guess I'll save money and try a full build next summer. And I'm not to disappointed with power out of the N/A 4g63 but I can imagine the power of a boosted one :) any way keep us / me posted on how it goes

theres not really a beginner turbo, just make sure you have all your maintenace up to boot, strong compression, new fluids, etc.

Start off with a 14b, theres plenty of info in these forums, It's pretty straight forward to turbo an n/a 4g63 but it will be hard if you dont know how a turbo functions...

Im not going to lie, I saw someone turbo their car and not know what they were doing, they had coolant and oil mixed up in the Center section, then had the inlet to an intercooler, outlet to an airfilter...I just dont get it sometimes.

i have completed a na to turbo swap and my advice is wait, it's almost winter anyway, so save up and spend the extra time time building the internals as well, that way you don't get boost happy and melt a piston in the long run i think this route would be best get a 2g or evo3 manifold, a 14b stock intercooler and piping, ecu and 390s or 450s to match, boost and air/fuel gauge etc,

edit: oh, and maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!

Last edited:
i have completed a na to turbo swap and my advice is wait, it's almost winter anyway, so save up and spend the extra time time building the internals as well, that way you don't get boost happy and melt a piston in the long run i think this route would be best get a 2g or evo3 manifold, a 14b stock intercooler and piping, ecu and 390s or 450s to match, boost and air/fuel gauge etc,

edit: oh, and maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!

or...

Go rip a full motor/turbo/everything out of a 1g turbo...Ive seen it done for
$900, just a complete simple swap

or...

Go rip a full motor/turbo/everything out of a 1g turbo...Ive seen it done for
$900, just a complete simple swap

that would work as well or just save the extra and go full forged internals (weiscos, eagle rods and crank, cams) :thumb: and get a16g

that would work as well or just save the extra and go full forged internals (weiscos, eagle cams) :thumb: and 16g

ehh, my 16g hasnt been able to kill my motor yet, and its maxed out...I have 6-bolt rods/2g pistons.

Its a great idea to go wiseco/eagle rod, but he never specified a specific budget and im sure he wants to make this simple/ cheap'er.

ehh, my 16g hasnt been able to kill my motor yet, and its maxed out...I have 6-bolt rods/2g pistons.

Its a great idea to go wiseco/eagle rod, but he never specified a specific budget and im sure he wants to make this simple/ cheap'er.

yeah so i agree with you probably cheapest/easiest route find a complete swap at a junkyard and do timing components, water pump and head gasket

Steve is correct. Before you think about upgrading, you have to make sure that the car can support any upgrades you add on. First thing is to get the car running right in stock trim; it will save you any headaches if something doesn't work, then you can use the service manual to fix it. As for slapping on a turbo, there is no beginning turbo, but you can bolt on a BIG 16G with no mods. If you want to go faster, then you can keep the turbo and upgrade all other parts to get the most out of the turbo.

yeah so i agree with you probably cheapest/easiest route find a complete swap at a junkyard and do timing components, water pump and head gasket

I have about a $600 budget. I am selling my 1991 eclipse with no tranny and I hope I get enough out of it to do everything else. The motor in my Talon was rebuilt and has just under 30,xxx on the rebuild. I just got a stage 1 clutch, short shift, new throw out bearings and tires. I will have some pics up soon of the car. But any help yall can give me is greatly appreciated:) Thanks guys

ya i would go with a 14b as well AFTER doing all maintenance. bigger injectors Iwould say are also a must you could get away with an AFC but why when a turbo ECU is probably cheaper and more efficient.

I have a set of 450 injectors as well if you go that route

do some junkyard hunting :) maybe get some pricing on getting turbo pistons hung on some rods and read through the classifieds here for some good deals on stock parts, water pipe, intercooler and piping etc good luck man!

Sell your current DSM and get a turbo one. They go for cheap and are easy to find. Do the maintenance on it and your turbo'd and running perfect.

That or you can keep the current one to sport out in the winter months as winter roads are horrid on cars, and do maintenance on the winter one and slowly work on the summer one over the winter months so shes all tip top and ready.

Sell your current DSM and get a turbo one. They go for cheap and are easy to find. Do the maintenance on it and your turbo'd and running perfect.

That or you can keep the current one to sport out in the winter months as winter roads are horrid on cars, and do maintenance on the winter one and slowly work on the summer one over the winter months so shes all tip top and ready.

I agree completely. You can find dsms for cheap nowadays. I got my laser fwd turbo for $800. All it needed was a new intake manifold gasket to get back on the road.

He only wants to run 6-8 psi.. 14b is overkill. Plus unless he puts in new pistons he has those terrible ring lands and no oil squirters unless he gets a turbo block.

Some people run a stock turbo setup in a NT block. The NT blocks have a higher oil pressure if I'm not mistaken.

Save her for a winter beater or sell her and buy a factory turbo model. You might get lucky and find an AWD as an added bonus.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back