The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G What are the symptoms of timing belt jumped a tooth or two?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawid4444

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Hey guys I would like to know what are the symptoms of timing belt jumped?

What is happening to the car if its jumped?
How to check if it jumped?

BTW my car lost like 40% of power and I need to check my timing belt if its ok .

thanks a lot guys

Symptoms of a timing belt that has jumped/skipped a few teeth:
  • One Tooth: It will idle like normal and the exhaust will sound fine but cruise and WOT the car will feel like you've got no power and in most cases will hesitate and misfire.
  • Two Teeth: It will sound like somethings "knocking" which is likely the pistons kissing the valves. The car will start and idle but if it sounds like somethings knocking just because it starts DON'T DRIVE IT!
  • Three Teeth: Your bending valves, the car more than likely won't start, & you'll have ZERO compression.

To check it you need to align the timing marks on your cam gears, follow this write-up and take pictures of your results if your unsure.
1G/2G Quick Timing Belt Alignment Check

:dsm:

Lost 40% of power also sounds like your charging system has taken a dump. Not enough current heading to the coils to fire the plugs hot ... I've seen that as well ...

Pull a plug and see if it's all sooty or clean. If it's sooty and all plugged with carbon, that plug is firing real weak.

maybe not 40% its like 25% or 30%

i looked an the plugs and all of them are super white. i think it means that it's too hot ??

and thanks too gofer for fast replay and good explanation :D

ill check timing today later

thnksss again :D

what else could it be ???
when i go WOT sometime it feels like the turbo has shaft play but the turbo is new and it has no shaft play at all.

some sensors or it could be that timing belt off ?

If you verify that everything on the timing belt side of the motor lines up you need to do a boost leak test (BLT) and if you don't know how to do one there are BLT threads all over tuners and vfaq... Is the CEL illuminated?

yeahh i know how to do a boost leak test . i know a lot about turbo cars .
and yes i did a boost leak test and find that my bov is leaking but it was leaking when the car was pulling HADR so :/
and another leak is on 4th injetcor seal
ill change them soon

the CEL was on ( P0300 ) i clear it and it is good but it always come on on the highway at about 70mph

ok i check the timing belt yesterday and my first guess was that my timing is off one tooth cause i aligned the camshaft and than look at crankshaft pulley timing mark and one time it was at 5 BTDC and i try to fixed it . I turn the timing belt back a tooth and looked again. guess what, crankshaft pulley timing mark was not even at the ''T - 15 BTDC '' scale anymore :/ so i guess my timing is ok .
its like between 5 BTDC and T mark . it is like 3 BTDC.

what do u guys think >> ??

btw when i was checking the timing i clean up the crank angle sensor cause it was flood in oil and idk why :/
and the car seem to run a lot better now

Not sure if you've got a camera or a camera phone handy but you trying to explain what you saw with your timing marks is a bit confusing. Just take two pictures, one of your cam gears and one of your crank pulley and where its line up to TDC. It should only take 6 turns or less to get everything to line up like it should.

If your CPS (crank position sensor) was covered in oil you might be leaking oil from your OEM CAMSHAFT OIL SEAL : MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE 90-99.

As an example, heres what mine looked like when I skipped (2) teeth a few years back...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here are some pics i took .

like i said the mark on Crankshaft pully is at like 3 BTDC
what do you guys think ??

sorry for my english but im come here not long ago

thxx guys

Attachments

• DSC08675.JPG
    DSC08675.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 9,315
  • DSC08681.JPG
    DSC08681.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 3,274
  • DSC08677.JPG
    DSC08677.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 4,262
Thanks for the pics and you don't have to apologize for your English, I'm not bilingual and I'm sure English is your second language so your doing better than I am.

Your timing looks good, hows the car feel now after you fixed that #4 injector seal? That P0300 random misfire code could be coming up because of your COP setup, you might try reverting back to stock if you can and see if it clears up.

Thanks for the pictures, it really helps.

i didnt change those seals yet . I will do it tommorow or tuesday .

and with that P0300 code i will try to find some good cheap coil pack and see if the code come back

--one more question

why the car sometime feels like the turbo has a lot of shaft play ??
the turbo is new and it doesnt has any shaft play at all .

its like when i drive in 2nd gear at 2.500 rpm and than go WOT the turbo will boost fine but the car wont have power :/ if i let the gas off and than WOT again its all better

what do you guys think ??

thkns a lott
:D

Sounds like a boost leak, if the turbo is boosting fine but you aren't feeling the power then air isn't making it to the cylinder most likely. That or fuel isn't but then you would know because you would be running super lean.

but when i let the gas off and than WOT again its all okay

and i dont have a Wideband so i can check if its lean :/
u said fuel ? what exacly could be couse this >??

My car jumped timing the other day because I have thesee same symtoms like loss of power and stuff after last week when I was doing something in the engine bay and accidentally left a screwdriver near the cam gear and I guess it was a little in it but I went to start the car to test and it got jammed but I immediatley shut the car off. How can I adjust the timing.

Symptoms of a timing belt that has jumped/skipped a few teeth:
  • One Tooth: It will idle like normal and the exhaust will sound fine but cruise and WOT the car will feel like you've got no power and in most cases will hesitate and misfire.
  • Two Teeth: It will sound like somethings "knocking" which is likely the pistons kissing the valves. The car will start and idle but if it sounds like somethings knocking just because it starts DON'T DRIVE IT!
  • Three Teeth: Your bending valves, the car more than likely won't start, & you'll have ZERO compression.

To check it you need to align the timing marks on your cam gears, follow this write-up and take pictures of your results if your unsure.
1G/2G Quick Timing Belt Alignment Check

So my car has the symptoms described on Two Teeth here. So it is yet worth to fix the tensioner components and re-align the gears and be good to go?

Absolutely fix it. If it skipped two for whatever reason, what’s to keep it from doing more the next time you drive it?

This all said, I would recommend verifying that the timing is actually off by removing the timing cover(s) and inspecting. Then you at least *know* and you don’t have to guess at it.

I agree. If you know for sure it's skipped you're driving a time bomb. Fix it cheap or fix it expensive. Very easy to check for sure.

Yeah! I have driven a few km and there was a tec tec noise coming from the engine right after start. I didn't realize it could be the timing belt or anything on the engine so I drove a few km and when I parked the car at home I notice the belt very loose.
I will do my diagnostic before moving the car again. Thx for the reply

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back