The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James_dsm

Proven Member
Jun 25, 2020
Littlerock, California
I need a second opinion. On the road the other day my car sputtered out after a pop and wouldn’t turn over. Threw a P0335 code. I checked the crankshaft sensor and it was thrashed so I replaced it and hoped for the best. Still wouldn’t turn over, but every couple attempts it would make a backfire type sound it the exhaust. I have replaced the Camshaft Sensor as well, Battery, Alternator, and so far I have checked for spark which I indeed have. Went back to check timing because I’ve read that in this situation you could jump timing, camshafts seem aligned and okay. Not too sure about the crank which is why I need the second opinion. If so what’s the possible damage and next step?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

if those pictures are without rotating motor you are not in time or the plate has something wrong with it. Time to pull off timing side. Show us the tensioner BEFORE you pull the belt off. Tension may not be correct. You could be looking at bent valves. You won't know until you test/look etc.
and cams look good??? Are we looking at the same pic? They're a mile off

if those pictures are without rotating motor you are not in time or the plate has something wrong with it. Time to pull off timing side. Show us the tensioner BEFORE you pull the belt off. Tension may not be correct. You could be looking at bent valves. You won't know until you test/look etc.
and cams look good??? Are we looking at the same pic? They're a mile off
I rotated the motor one turn clockwise just to see if anything were to match up. Im sorry about the cams I thought they were okay I’m still new to this whole experience I guess it was just optimism. So how would I start inspecting, would i keep turning clockwise until I hit TDC? Then take a picture of the tensioner as mentioned? Also under further inspection the balance belt snapped, the one thats under the plate. Do I replace that as well or is it okay to leave off?

your crank pic is already at tdc or close enough to see what's what. If teh cam and crank pics were taken one right after the other those cams are way off. Since they're still paired likely the crank jumped. hard to say at this point.
And you just found your problem. balance belt snapped, got in the way of timing belt. The only thing you can do at this point is retime it and check compression. That far off I'm betting you have bent valves.

your crank pic is already at tdc or close enough to see what's what. If teh cam and crank pics were taken one right after the other those cams are way off. Since they're still paired likely the crank jumped. hard to say at this point.
And you just found your problem. balance belt snapped, got in the way of timing belt. The only thing you can do at this point is retime it and check compression. That far off I'm betting you have bent valves.
Alright thank you, for the bent valves is that a whole head rebuild or can I just replace the valves and be good?

Alright thank you, for the bent valves is that a whole head rebuild or can I just replace the valves and be good?
You will need a machine shop and have it rebuilt. New valves only is asking for trouble.

You're also cart before the horse. Diagnose it first. You might get lucky.

I definitely will, when the pop happened it only travelled a few feet before I turned it off and towed it home.
I wish i could say that mattered. 1 revolution is enough. Hope it works out. Leakdown test would be more revealing than a compression test.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back