The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Weird No Crank-No Start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayB12

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2009
Philipsburg, Pennsylvania
So before you ask, battery is at full charge, headlights don't dim. I took out the starter and it tested fine.

You can hear it pop out and try and turn the engine over, but it won't.

I thought maybe somehow the engine seized, but no, spins over easily with a wrench.

I don't have anywhere to try and bump start it. :mad:

I just drove it around the last couple of days with no problems.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Have you tried to disconnect the clutch safety switch? mine did that thought same thing but its the skinny white connector under driver side dash by the fuse box. I un hooked mine and it started right up. guess its worth a try if you have not done so. let me know what your results are.

hmm that's weird. The only other things I read about on the forums with similar problems is the safety switch then putting in gear and rocking it to possibly free up fly wheel. if your getting signal to starter it should engage and turn car on easily so that's all I got.

You used link to invert what signal? I just check my lap top and I only see invert cas signal.

Also I'm leaning towards a sensor like cam or crank sensor. Are you getting a cel? Have you tried to push it and pop the clutch? What other things have you tried and tested?

Anthony B.

There is one so you don't have to use the clutch to start it. I have used it before. If it were the cam sensor (1g so no crank sensor)it would still crank.

It literally acts like the motor is locked up, the starter pops out but won't spin the fw. But I can easily turn the motor over with a small 1/2" wrench.

No cel, no prior issues like this. I'm getting some friends over today to help me bump start it.

I know you said the starter checked good but is it freewheeling or does it not spin when you hear the solenoid? I would seriously suspect a starter issue. Could be that the contacts are worn and the solenoid is not extending far enough.

That's good, glad I could help my friend. Well didnt really help now did I LOL just got the car started. Well how about we start checking those relays and fused. Then lets check voltage at the starter. I would also check the wiring for any little cuts, scrapes, or anything out of the norm just to rule it out.

Anthony B.

I don't know if it happens on 1gs, but on my 2g and the 2gs of two other friends all of us had the exact symptoms you describe, and for all three it was the ignition switch. Replacing it has restored perfect starting every time. Looking in the old one a lot of gunk had built up between the contacts, perhaps restricting current flow enough to I guess prevent the starter relay from working properly, but this is all speculation. So perhaps check that out.

edit - an alternative is to bypass the ignition switch and use a push-button starter.

for no starts check the following:
timing triggers ( 1g at the bottom by the crank 2g at the top by the cam gears)
spark plug wires ( check the order and check for nicks)
fuel injectors ( clips and fuel pressure)
spark plugs ( spark in general)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back