The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Valvetrain ideas!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SupremeDsm

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
Ok so for my valvetrain I was thinking of going this route: hks 264/272 combo, supertech dual valve springs, supertech titanium retainers, supertech dished valves, and aem tru time cam gears. Yesterday I ordered a complete cometic gasket set and cometic metal head gasket. I want to be around 500hp when I'm done with my car. Am I on the right track? And no I'm not asking about that bench racing garbage.

What turbo are you going to be running as that is what will be determining your cams. Larger cams for a higher shifted power band. For that high of a goal, start out with a 272/272 combo or higher.

Are you going to be degreeing your cams or are the gears just for looks?

I'm thinking of a t3/t4 or a hx35! Not sure which one yet though! Yes I will be degreeing my timing.

You dont need a dual valve spring setup for HKS 272, seriously overkill. An uprated single spring is more than enough.. Unless if u have plans for something like Kelford 280s later..

Ya idk I was going to get them for a great deal and might go bigger later on!

what kind of t3/t4 turbo? you can get a 50 trim t3 turboo...you're remark makes no sense. You hhave to be in depth. Are you going to be running pump gas or e85? people have done 500whp+ with stock valvetrain besides cams. You need to be more specific

E85, and the turbo is one at the local shop I believe it's a 50 trim but not a 100%! And how do I make no sense? I make alot of sense! More specific? I listed everything I was looking at running in my valvetrain! Sorry man the one that makes no sense is you! Oh and let me guess your going to come back with a remark about the fuel I'm running because I forgot to post it! Btw I'm pretty sure all t3/t4 turbos are 50 trim!

Last edited by a moderator:
A t3/t4 can be an wide variety of trims, for example i just searched and found a .63 trim turbonetics t3/t4. The best way to find out what works is to ask
A) Performance Shop or
B) PM a member that has power with close to what you are shooting for or
C) Read through a crap ton of posts.

Get your turbo, injectors, tuning software etc installed and drive the car you might be happy with 400whp and factory cams! Take it a few steps at a time don't just try to do everything at once, especially if you drive the car daily. Cam's can be installed after everything else.

Well i don't really care whether or not you make sense but I will tell you right now all t3/t4 turbo's aren't 50 trim. If you are really looking for help post a serial number of your turbo so that people can find specs on it and help you out more. If you don't want to go through the trouble of doing that just go with the 272/272 combination it will give you the power your looking for and will sound sick doing it.

I would just get the Dual Valve Springs, goes along the line of upgradability. I would rather do it once than multiple times.

Kyle

no, not all 50 trims are t3/t4. there's nothing wrong with e85. I'm running it too. You can't just say t3/t4. if you wanna make 500...i wouldn't' use a 50trim...you'll stop at like 420 if that. Just get a 60-1 and call it a day. Dual valve springs aren't need unless you're running kelfords or something with that much an aggressive lift.

Ya I'll call the shop tomorrow they have a Garret 60 trim in stock I was looking at! Idk I was thinking the hks 272 never rly looked into the kelfords! Might have to look into them! I have all my engine management stuff and fuel system needs! I'm going with 1300cc fuel injectors Aeromotive fpr and all stainless steel lines, aem fuel rail and Walbro 255! Any suggestions on a turbo?

That would be cool. Most people won't do stroker kits unless they're using a bigger turbo. If you're going to daily drive your car, i wouldn't do it either. many stroker kits fail after about 25k miles. I would just build yours.

Ya mine was going to be my daily! So maybe some rods and 9:1 pistons then!

That would be cool. Most people won't do stroker kits unless they're using a bigger turbo. If you're going to daily drive your car, i wouldn't do it either. many stroker kits fail after about 25k miles. I would just build yours.

People kill me with remarks like that why would a stroker fail at 25k? A dd makes the best car for a stroker the increase in displacement will help the car out of boost and around town. Strokers fail because of incorrect set-up not because of the crank or pistons. Any engine 2.0, 2.3, 2.1 will fail if not set-up correct, Make sure to have the rotating assembly balanced by a good shop. I have ran and will run strokers in cars and will never go back to a 2.0 for a (street) car.

Ya I was going to have everything balanced and blue printed at the local shop!

every stroker, that I've seen built by a professional shop, that specializes in DSM's has blown within 30k miles. every shop i've been to that specializes in dsm's has told me they will fail. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a stroker to dd, but with many people telling me failure is gonna happen, i'm not gonna risk it. I'd rather build my motor without stroking it and be fine.

Make sure they work on 4g's and know what they are doing. I have had some bad work from (local) shops on import heads and blocks.

trust me, the shop I used to go to for my work, HTP (hi-tuned performance) they always have over 5 dsm's in the shop. he's got his own 9 sec DSM as well, shop built. he works on tons of evo's all day. he's an all around DSM/Evo guy. I trusted him with my car and he does amazing work.

Ya the machine shop all they do is engines! My friend and everyone I know in town goes through them! Great rep they have in town. Name is d and b machine!

If he has a shop that does not mean he does his own machine work. Most shops do not do machine work, they do like my shop and sub it out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back