The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

stick or auto??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reveal1123

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2003
Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania
ive got 9,000 to spend, and i dont want any regrets (aww i shoulda got a stick).. i found an auto gst for 8 g's with 55,000 on it, and im tempted to buy it, but i really want stick... what should i do?.. is stick better than auto in a dsm??..

Oh God not another auto vs 5 speed war.....

Anyway when I bought my car I had the same issues. Didn't have a ton of money to spend so after searching 5 months I finally found a Turbo Eclipse in good condition in my price range, however, it was auto. Seeing how I had no idea when I would find a good condition 5 speed I decided to just buy the damn auto. Although stick is fun to drive there's nothing like driving to work eary in the morning or coming home late at night and not having to worry about shifting! Call me lazy but at times it's nice to sit back and relax.

Plus IMHO having a 5 speed is overrated because half the people don't even know how to drive them properly and even if you do one mistake and your done.

So basicly my adivce is if you really want stick and can afford to wait around til you find a good one then do that. If not auto isn't as bad as everyone makes it seem....just my 2 cents....

thanks man.. i dunno.. ive gotta stick now, and i love drivin it.... plus my g/f doesnt know howto drive stick so she cant drive it LOL.... but i just dont want any regrets after i put out the money... i think i may wait around, cuz shitfin doesnt really bother me... keeps me awake at nights ;) ... thanks for the 2 cents!

Originally posted by ChicagoGSX
If you have doubts, you're going to regret getting the auto.

Yea that's a good point. The g/f not being able to drive it is another one LOL.....

Yes, even though you will have more power, I bet you will miss the feel you get from a stick. Also what year gst is it? If its a 1g, than the turbo and injectors are smaller, but you can always to a conversion. Its not to hard if you got all of the parts.

i had the same problem but time was my issue. my old eclipse was slowly dying on me and i wanted to get a new one, couldnt find a 5-speed gsx anywhere unless i wanted to put down like $20k and that seemed a lil overkill, then one day i found a 97 GST with 13k miles, only issue, it was an auto, after test-driving it i deceided to just go with the auto. i dont have any regrets really, i enjoy driving it very much actually. only thing i dont like is friends pickin on me for getting an auto.... ;)

btw this was about 6months ago when i bought the 97 with 13k miles :)

Originally posted by Dan1997GST
i had the same problem but time was my issue. my old eclipse was slowly dying on me and i wanted to get a new one, couldnt find a 5-speed gsx anywhere unless i wanted to put down like $20k and that seemed a lil overkill, then one day i found a 97 GST with 13k miles, only issue, it was an auto, after test-driving it i deceided to just go with the auto. i dont have any regrets really, i enjoy driving it very much actually. only thing i dont like is friends pickin on me for getting an auto.... ;)

btw this was about 6months ago when i bought the 97 with 13k miles :)

sounds almost identical to me. i had a honda civic and it was dying and i needed a new car. i wanted to get a manual dsm, but all i could find is n/t's, until i looked on some car finder site and noticed a black 97 talon tsi 50 miles away from me. it was an auto, but it only had 20k miles on it, and i couldnt pass it up. my friends do kinda pick on me for it being auto, but in the end i can smoke them.

I do miss a 5 spd sometimes, but then again, a auto never miss-shifts when dragging and it is nice not having to change gears. The DSM auto's aren't that bad either. Go to DSMtalk.com they have a good auto tech forum.

Hey, my tercel only has a 4-speed manual and id still rather have that than an auto. Everyone that i've taught how to drive my car and everyone that i know that has switched from an auto to a stick doesnt want to go back. haha, and teaching your girlfriend how to drive it can be kinda fun too... good luck with whatever you get.

I flew 1,300 miles away, and then drove the car back to make sure I got the car I wanted. You are going to have the car for years (Hopefully), so make sure you don't regret your purchase. If you drive a manual car now, and you like it, then stick with it.

Personally, I love manual, and the traffic here is the worst in the entire country; even worse than LA. There are the occasional times in terrible traffic where it gets annoying, but there are also times when driving an auto gets boring and I crave a nice 5-2 downshift. If you prefer manual, then wait around for it. If you still really like auto for a lot of reasons, then go with auto.

Also, if you are planning on make 400+hp at the wheels, then at some point auto tranny cars become faster because less boost (If any) is lost between shifts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back