The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Difference Between Auto & Stick GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieHustle

Probationary Member
Dec 7, 2004
San Francisco, California
Hey guys, I have a '97 Eclipse GSX and its a auto I've always wondered is there any significant difference between the auto and the stick other then the obvious. Thanks for the help!:thumb:

The auto isnt quite as easy as you think it is. There are many things a driver does that make it faster or slower that would be driver error.

Its funny because one of the main reasons i sold my AT eclipse was because people made fun of it for being At. Now im on here getting told AT is better than MT. Lol ohh well, i dotn plan on going to the track that much anyways. Thats why i have a GST:)

GILZTSIAWD said:
The auto isnt quite as easy as you think it is. There are many things a driver does that make it faster or slower that would be driver error.
I don't know man, I could launch my A4 LS1 in my sleep. My grandma launches her Buick pretty damn hard as well.
If you are comparing launching an auto to a manual, you are crazy!

how do i give rep?? some people answered alot of my quistions and i want to give them rep

You go to the left of the screen (Where is says their user name) Next to where it says if they are on or offline, You will see a little scale(it actually looks like a snowflake, But its a scale) You click that, Then you can type in what ever you want, Or leave your name.

When they are stock it is easy. Once you make some power and actually have to do stuff while you go down the track its not so easy and really makes a difference in the driver. Like I said man, its all in opinion. People used to make fun of mine because it was auto, but now they are like holy crap you did that in an auto, and with my stall i can launch as hard or harder than you depending on what you got.

Not a week ago I found myself at a red light next to a Civic Si. The light changed and I proceeded to wax it.. well not quite. I launched like normal, mashed the gas and then at the end of 2nd gear he passed me. My gas pedal had stuck to the floor and I proceeded, not racing, but instead WRAPPING out my 10 yr old engine relentlessly. I tried to cram it, but no such luck. This is my 4th year running it and it's never acted like this. It has been a few days and until this morning I just wrote off the incident. There's no smoking but now it seems like it could give some kind of ignition problem. When I hit the key today it idled terribly for the first minute or so, almost dying at times. I'll examine the plugs today. It warmed up and it seemed fine, but is it? Appreciate anyone's ideas on this, thanks.

GILZTSIAWD said:

Think what you like... but in my mind, there is no way an auto can compare to a manual transmission when it comes to invloving the pilot in the driving experience.

howie3 said:

or this....
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/inventory.cgi?action=description&item_id=225.326912909305

Like I said, MOST people bash on automatics due to LACK of KNOWLEDGE. But then again, after reviewing your mods list and all, it looks like you have much more experience with dsms than I do maybe I have the lack of knowledge ;) Either way, if you would like to comment on this further please pm me or post it in the hangout or something, as this all has nothing to do what the original poster was asking about.

GILZTSIAWD said:
or this....
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/inventory.cgi?action=description&item_id=225.326912909305

Like I said, MOST people bash on automatics due to LACK of KNOWLEDGE. But then again, after reviewing your mods list and all, it looks like you have much more experience with dsms than I do maybe I have the lack of knowledge ;) Either way, if you would like to comment on this further please pm me or post it in the hangout or something, as this all has nothing to do what the original poster was asking about.

No need... everybody is entitled to their own opinion. To each his own. ;)

I have a 92 tsi auto pretty much stock and ran 16.2 3 times last week all with 83mph trap. However, its blowing blue smoke everywhere from the rings so it probably wouldve run better if it was fixed:toobad:. And my reaction time was like .7.... oops. Even my beat up auto has a pretty good launch though. I don't have my slips with me now but I was dead even with a caddy cts-v up to the 200. Then he smoked me bad the rest of the way and ran a 13.4.:D

Hey guys, this summer I'm going to buy a eclipse gsx its either going to be from the year 95 to 99, I was wondering should I get a stick or auto? please let me know thanks!!!!

The auto will be a stronger tranny. Thats just how it is with any MT vs AT. They can take more power. Costs less to modify them, overall.
Downside, the MT will have more whp given the same setup. The AT has inherent powertrain loss thats greater than a MT. I picked up an auto to switch. I think anyone misses shifting but not having to deal with buying twin disk setups and breaking shit constantly is the upside. Also, the 1/4 mile with an PROPERLY SETUP auto will have a huge advantage. Takes less driver skill to go fast on an auto. So long as you can stall it, and you have sticky tires, she will haul ass. Just push the GO pedal.
Another big downside to AT: Weight.

You can always pick up an auto and swap to manual if you like and leave the wires tucked away. If you buy a manual you will need to get a Manual harness and tcu to switch to auto.
Im forgetting alot and dont know everything about AT dsms yet but thats just a few pros n cons.
Im also planning on 650+whp so with a manual you have to have it built. And a twin disk is pretty much the only thing thats going to hold up to that much torque

A properly built Automatic will be quicker then an equally modded Standard all day...

Some people are realizing this and converting there cars to automatic.

I am one who realized that.. A/T is awesome and I love the reliability factor.

And for those saying A/T are less fun to drive, install a ratchet shifter into the auto and do the kiggly mod. I bet you can have just as much fun or more going through those gears as you wont lose boost between those shifts.

You can expect consistency and reliability with an auto if properly built. 5 speeds are fun but if you drag race and go high horsepower, expect parts to soon break if not upgraded..clutches, tranny. Boosting off the line and not missing a shift is very desirable with a lot of members on drag strips , it all depends on your goal.

You can expect consistency and reliability with an auto if properly built. 5 speeds are fun but if you drag race and go high horsepower, expect parts to soon break if not upgraded..clutches, tranny. Boosting off the line and not missing a shift is very desirable with a lot of members on drag strips , it all depends on your goal.

But auto is soooo boring :p yeah i said it LOL i am a huge fan of devin shultz

But auto is soooo boring :p yeah i said it LOL i am a huge fan of devin shultz
LOL its not that boring man. Devin is a hell of a driver ! Stick has more driver input and is fun especially in roadcourse,highway pulls, drifiting and such...But hey in drag race and especially bracket racing for ET consistency, Auto is king ! Launching off the line with high boost is addictive:hellyeah:

I'm looking for an AT roller for a drag build. The guys saying AT is faster on the track know what they're talking about. We're not talking about launching stock cars. We're talking about launching 500/600hp cars shooting for low 10sec passes. Launching a MT big turbo car is VERY difficult. That's why I'm going AT. Plus the DSM AT is a SOLID piece

DDing a high HP MT car isn't fun either. I was DDing a 600hp evo MT with a twin disk clutch and it SUCKED.

Big advantage with autos is that there is no power loss between shift points whereas when you dump the clutch on a manual, even for that split second, you lost a fraction of power since you actually disconnected power to the transmission from the motor and have to built it back up when the clutch reconnects with the transmission.

On the flip side, manuals have it beat due to the 100% power connection between motor and transmission whereas the automatic will never be at the 100% due to the fluid swirling around in the torque converter pushing against the rotor vane of the inner output shaft of the torque converter.

It's how you want to drive and have fun.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back