The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Starting issues - No / Doesn't / Won't Start - MERGED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodsm

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2002
canada, Manitoba_Canada
All "my car won't start" discussion threads are merged HERE. We've basically made it easier for those who insist upon not searching by grouping together all threads from those with similar issues so you can just scroll through and see some possible solutions. To search for info within this thread, use the "Search This Thread" feature in the black bar about 3" above what you're reading right now.

Could be anything from a loose battery terminal to internal engine damage, and literally everything in between which may involve the electrical, fuel, and ignition system...possibly even something that you screwed up while working on the car yourself. While it's unlikely we're going to diagnose and solve your problem over the internet, feel free to discuss any possible solutions.

I live in Canada and right now its not very warm out, about -30c
my car does not have a block heater too keep it warm.

I tryed to start my car this morning and it wouldent start, ive had this problem before but this time, the car doesnt crank at all it just makes a sound that sounds like an electric drill.

Whats wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
i did a turbo swap and it ran rough but was still driveable then just stopped even starting, i checked the ect and rewired it but nothing and i tried testing the sensor like it says and either i dont know how to use an ohm meter like i thought i did, both my sensors i have laying around are bad, or the resistance he stated is wrong. and my friend just gave me a data logger so next week ill be installing that. i'm going to go back threw the whole fuel system again. i have a spare 91 tsi ecu and wiring harness, pretty sure the ecu is bad tho but ill have it checked out by ecmtuning and just put the turbo harness in. but i checked resistance and there all right above 2 ohms to the plug.

You can smell fuel and your plugs are soaked?! This sounds like your flooding or your mechanical timing got off. Do your timing marks line up correctly?

did u get problem fixed ? my girl friends 99 eclipse 420a n/t starts runs fine than shuts off than wont start cranks and cranks no spark,, any idea,, i have changed the crank sensor, cam sensor , coil pack, asd relay , plugs / wires , and checked wire harness,, and timing is dead on,, im about to buy a computer , just wondering if u fixed ## problem b4 i pay 250$ for ecm , thank you very much for any help

Here i photo copied this out of my OEM workshop manual :hellyeah:

How is the compression. Make sure you do it at WOT when you crank.

Attachments

• CPC.jpg
    CPC.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 67
Update:

Car is not showing the check engine light for 5 seconds and the boost gauge going to zero when in the ON postion. From what I have read that means that the ecu is bad.

However, I removed the dash out of the car. When the dash was in the car, the check engine light would illuminate and the boost gauge would zero out. So is it possible that a connection is missing, or I possibly cut a connection?

The car just has the instrument cluster now. No dash at all.

Let me know if you have any ideas. I think I'm getting close to getting this thing started.

compression is good, even being a cold engine its hanging around the 150 on all four. This is a used engine out of a known running car. i had the head checked out and surfaced before i put it in the car.

when my buddies 98 gs did this it was the crank sensor, so id lean towards the cam or crank sensor. if the crank sensor gets oil soaked it will stop working and be a real PITA. a bad wire with high resistance in the circuit could also cause the problem. make sure all the wires are good and not cut or crimped. that will allow continuity but cause high resistance.

You have a Chrysler on you hands my friend and electrical problems are your pal:)
Look on the Avenger 420a sites for help, i had the same problem and did the same as you with the cam and crank sensors, the problems was the VSS ( vehicle speed sensor) its on top of tranny right under TB. It shorted out but my speedo work just fine............ but because the VSS was shorting randomly it would cut power to the cam and crank sensor turning the car off. When i bought the VSS the problem when away

No, i ran out of time. i work for a week at a time out of town so now i have all week to think of new things to try LOL but i'm thinking just swaping everything is my best bet, or at least changing out injectors, fpr, and fuel pump and filter. if i cant get this car to run i have lost all hope in dsms:( and hopefully the data logger will help.

did u get problem fixed ? my girl friends 99 eclipse 420a n/t starts runs fine than shuts off than wont start cranks and cranks no spark,, any idea,, i have changed the crank sensor, cam sensor , coil pack, asd relay , plugs / wires , and checked wire harness,, and timing is dead on,, im about to buy a computer , just wondering if u fixed ## problem b4 i pay 250$ for ecm , thank you very much for any help

umm...did you try scanning?? Otherwise you just wasted a ton of cash throwing parts at it like a blind fool (no dis intended). If it doesn't connect, then you most likely need a new ecu, but at least scan it before you piss toss another couple hundred in the trash can.

You have a Chrysler on you hands my friend and electrical problems are your pal:)

:rolleyes: Get your carfax straight and stop generalizing. Help the guy, not point fingers and call names.

Last edited:
This motor is out of a car running so anything on the motor isn't the problem. I did the starting fluid in the intake not recommended it shot a fireball out of the tb elbow and torched my arm hair so thanks for that idea. I put a 97 intake cam in it and put the 97 cas on it and nothing changed if I unplug the cas wether the 1g or 2g the car fires and runs for 5 seconds with just the crank sensor hooked up WTFf. The 1g does the crank sensor and cas yet won't work in this car. I have power and ground at cas harness plug.

dude you crank your motor until your dowell pins are straight up and cam gear marks are lined up then take plastic cover off and crank pulley and look at your crank timimg mark and other timing marks. If its off it wont start and if it does it wont run for crap. You dont need it to start it!!

I would say check the grounds, My 90 sat outside WITHOUT HOOD I had power to the injectors and fuel pump was just replaced. the injectors always have power the ecu grounds them accordingly. so check the grounds. After i cleaned my grounds up she started right up!! ;)

umm...did you try scanning?? Otherwise you just wasted a ton of cash throwing parts at it like a blind fool (no dis intended). If it doesn't connect, then you most likely need a new ecu, but at least scan it before you piss toss another couple hundred in the trash can.

:rolleyes: Get your carfax straight and stop generalizing. Help the guy, not point fingers and call names.

Haha I guess, but its true, you got to laugh sometimes :D

Sounds like you may have left a ground or two unhooked. Black wires with loops on the ends that used to bolt to the dash assembly, near where the console meets the dash.

I would say check the grounds, My 90 sat outside WITHOUT HOOD I had power to the injectors and fuel pump was just replaced. the injectors always have power the ecu grounds them accordingly. so check the grounds. After i cleaned my grounds up she started right up!! ;)

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

krazy4 check your MPI Fuse if its a 92 it should have it on the positive battery ternimal there will be 3 fuses there 2 30amp fuses and 1 20amp fuse. the 20amp is the MPI fuse and if that is bad your injectors wont get signal.

im not sure if you have done this yet or not but take your ecu out and open it up to see if anything is burnt up in it or if your caps are leaking. i had the same problem and it turns out my caps leaked and caused my ecu to fry. if your car has been sitting for awhile there is a 80% chance this is your problem because your caps can leak if your car has been sitting for 5 years LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have checked pretty much everything I can think of and done everything suggested so far. Still no start. I tried starting fluid today still nothing. Im starting to think the ecu I replaced mine with is bad also.

Standard questions:
Does the check engine light turn on for five seconds and then turn off when you turn the ignition on?
Does the factory boost gauge move to zero and then to -7 while cranking?

Do you have a data logger?

krazy4 check your MPI Fuse if its a 92 it should have it on the positive battery ternimal there will be 3 fuses there 2 30amp fuses and 1 20amp fuse. the 20amp is the MPI fuse and if that is bad your injectors wont get signal.
Checked the fuse and it was popped. Replaced it, and now the car tries to start, like its not getting enough fuel or something. I've pretty much checked everything else out now other than timing and compression. So I did a compression test and got 80-90psi across the board. That kinda bummed me out, so did the quick timing check and it's off. So I guess the timing skipped and bent most of the valves. :(

Sucks, oh well time to part it out. Don't have enough money to rebuild a motor right now.
im not sure if you have done this yet or not but take your ecu out and open it up to see if anything is burnt up in it or if your caps are leaking. i had the same problem and it turns out my caps leaked and caused my ecu to fry. if your car has been sitting for awhile there is a 80% chance this is your problem because your caps can leak if your car has been sitting for 5 years LOL.

ECU checked out fine. Just the 20amp mpi fuse was not allowing it to work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back