The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

small shift light

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u2slow

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 21, 2004
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
I`ve been debating on custom mounting a shift light somwhere in the dash, maybe in the stock guage cluster, or in the A/C vent or something.

I would like to get opinions on loaction, and most of all, what shift light to use. It would have to be small, but very bright. A lit shift light should be bright enough to see in daylight while watching the road IMO.

Any member pictures of a similar install would be appreciated:)

im not sure which shift light is the best but u should definetly mount it in the ac vent because that would be bad ass

The light will stay on as long as the RPMs are above the set point.

Here is my present set-up.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I`m changing the ignition on my `90 AWD. This shiftlight will only work on a `90 ignition system. Since I have to change, I would like to find a smaller light so I would have more mounting options. Small, but bright.

Any suggestions?

Here's mine. The small blue circle just to the right of the steering wheel. 1 super bright red LED lives in there. Tomorrow I'll get a picture with it on. It's easily seen during the day.

Attachments

• Shift light.jpg
    Shift light.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 890
Now, that`s what I`m talking about! Can you tell me more about the light? Where was it purchased, how is it triggered?

Interesting placement of guages too.

I took a small key chain type flashlight & replaced the white LED with a red one. I also wired in a resistor to reduce 12V to 5V. What triggers it is an adjustable shift light I bought from ebay. I took the ebay shift light apart, and wired in the flashlight.

Attachments

• DSCF6447.jpg
    DSCF6447.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,360
  • DSCF6448.jpg
    DSCF6448.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 748
  • img.jpg
    img.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,400
Very nice:thumb: Thanks for the input!

Anybody else?

A question for the moderator that moved this to the "appearance" section. Why did you move this thread?

I`m a serious drag racer. A shiftlight is a practical performance mod. Only a ricer would think it`s for looks. Perhaps the addition of a 100 shot of nitrous could be an "appearance" mod too. It`s got that cool looking blue bottle and all.

I was looking for a bright light that could be placed in the proper place to keep my shifting efficient. I started this thread with performance in mind.

Ahh I wish I was near my car. I have a summit shift light, that coincidentally fit where my cigarette lighter would be. It was a summit brand adjustable shift light. 3 wire hookup. Ill post a picture when I get back from vacation and I see my car again.

I`ve been thinking about buying this one, taking it apart, and mounting the lens/light in the guage cluster if possible.

That's what I have! On 2gs, the center console is angled, and the ciggy lighter just pops out. The end of this light also has like, ribs in it that just let it pop into the lighter hole and it sits itself in place. I hooked it up to my lighters + and -, and the tach went straight to the ecu. Didn't even have to lengthen any wires. And this thing lights up my car at night. Even day time romps, its highly visible. Even at my waist level. The key for me was to be slick, and the way it sits and the way the lense is recessed on the light an inch or two, you can't even tell what it is. It looks just like a cigarette lighter with out the lighter in it. Form and function actually evened out for me.

Woa! It`s a small world.

Now that`s small enough to mount anywhere:thumb: Exactly what I`m looking for. Thanks, Jerry.

I took a small key chain type flashlight & replaced the white LED with a red one. I also wired in a resistor to reduce 12V to 5V. What triggers it is an adjustable shift light I bought from ebay. I took the ebay shift light apart, and wired in the flashlight.

Really?
I might have to try that with the Autometer one I have.

I decided to go with the Gizzmo. It`s really too expensive, but I did it anyway:)

If anybody is thinking about buying a gizzmo shift light, shoot me a PM. I can save you some money.:thumb::thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back