The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Should I Buy This??!!??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitelightnin01

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 26, 2009
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Ok so I found this guy who wants to sell me this rebuilt block and head for 650$. This is what he e-mailed me when I asked what was done to it.

"it was hot tanked, honed( stock bore), balance shafts eliminated, thrust bearing, crank was balanced, clevitte 77 main and rod bearings, scat forged rods, wiseco piston kit with rings, new water pump. i will give you everything bolted to the block and timing set, but if you want the more recently rebuilt head it wont be on the block or timed. and the block was decked spent about 1300 at a very good machine shop to have all this work done professionally. Ill take 650 and throw in the flywheel because im having a bi*** of a time tryin to get it off of the crank."

Does this sound like a good deal or too good to be true?

sounds like a deal..but i would ask for paperwork/reciepts from the parts and work done to the block

Thanks for all the quick relpy's guys. Im waiting for a e-mail back from him on whn he can't get the flywheel off right now. I'll keep you updated.:thumb: *UPDATE* Just got an e-mail back from him stating that "one of the flywheel bolts is stripped, that's all"

I believe he meant that one of the flywhel bolt heads was stripped. I'll shoot him an e-mail and see what he says about the specs of the motor as far as clearances and ring gap and crank endplay, and also of it is the head of the bolt of the crankshaft bolt threads. Thanks for the help guys.

well if he just rebuilt the engine then he just put on the flywheel. so he had to mess something up to strip the bolt head. ive never seen a bolt you can just put in tight then it strips trying to take off.

yea I would roll with what manrightchea and 805DSM said check the paperwork to make sure the dude isn't selling you junk, and use the parts and do a build yourself so your not relying on someone else's work it could cost you more hassle than its worth in the end.

ive never seen a bolt you can just put in tight then it strips trying to take off.
I can understand stripped flywheel bolt heads. If you look at one up close you'll see that you can effectively get about 3/16" of a socket on the hex head, and if we're talking about a mechanic without power tools then their barbarian mentality can easily get the best of them, letting the socket slip off under full-breaker-bar load.

If you really can't get the stripped bolt out by pounding on a smaller socket (possibly the next down in a SAE size) and giving it hell with an impact gun then I suggest cutting an "x" on the head of the bolt with a cutoff tool and splitting the head off the bolt. After the flywheel is removed, you can easily wind the threads out of the crank.

also you shoul try to find out what the piston to wall clearance i. that is one of the most critical measurment in any engine

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back