The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Rough running engine!!! Not sure what is wrong! Please help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyonswm

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2010
Bennett, Colorado
Hello, I have a 90 1g and today the engine began to run very rough at the low rpms. It was driving just fine then i stopped got some food and when i started the engine it was running rough and the check engine light came on. When I drive it at low rpms the engine is rough but at high rpms it is fine. I have checked the spark plugs and nothing seems to be wrong. From the exhaust i can here a little ticking noise not sure what that is. I have talked to some people I know that are pretty good with cars but even they don't know what to say about it. If anyone has had a similar problem i could use some help.

I disconnected my battery and left it for about 5 min and then reconnected then the check engine light went away and the car ran fine. I thought i may have fixed the problem but it turns out after a few drives it came back on and the engine began to run roughly. So i bought an analog voltmeter and tested to see what sensor was going off. I came out with code 23 and i have seen multiple things that code 23 is. Does anyone know for sure what that code means? I have a 90 eclipse so if anyone knows that would be great help. :thumb:

Code 23 is camshaft position sensor. You can check pins 21 and 109 for continuity between the ecu and the cam sensor.

How do i replace that sensor? Is it an easy process? Also does anyone know any links that i could look up that would help me replace this sensor. I believe it is just the sensor because when i unhook the battery then connect it back the car runs normally. Thank you for the help :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back