The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

revving out to 7,500-8k rpms?

Which spring/retainers would you prefer for >300$?

• Crower

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Manley

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giovanniv

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 8, 2008
normal, Illinois
I was looking into springs and retainers as I am wanting to rev out a bit further now that I have my 274 cams and my hx35 but I am ripped between Crower or Manley? Which is better? Any other recomendations? I am not looking to spend over 300 bucks for springs and retainers either. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

**EDIT Here is the info I just found for my cams.**

Graveyard Motorsports NEW 274
274 duration FRANKENSTEIN Cam
200 duration @ .050 .408 lift
single pattern to allow more air flow

Here are the specs for manley

O.D. / I.D. - 1.100"/.775"
Pressures - 66 @ 1.580"
175 @ 1.210"
237 @ 1.000"
Stock/Maximum Net Lift - .370"
.580"
Coil Bind - .950"
Rate (lbs./in.) - 294

This is all I found for crower?

Stock O.D.
coil bind - .910"

Last edited:
If your looking at Crowers, make sure to look at the spring pressures at specific heights. I don't know if they have a performance version of their single springs, but if not all the spring descriptions I've seen show them as almost stock pressure.

The Manley's on the other hand have much higher seat pressures which should equate to better high lift/high rpm performance.

I don't know about your cam specs. But my car was fine reving to 7800rpm on the stock springs and retainers. So i'd think any set would be more than enough for what your looking for.

You have to verify your options with whoever made your cams... They'll now the ramp rate, lift, etc...
After that you go with whatever they recommended... It isn't about what you want to buy.. For example for Comp; HKS; FP2 - 272's cams all you need is stock springs and retainers to rev to 8K ... But FP 2X you'll need Supertech dual springs or Kiggly's beehive.....

Just run evo springs and retainers.. Will cost you less than 80 dollars and you can rev to 8k.

I was reading that the only thing that upgrading to evo springs and retainers was that they are lighter?

I also read that crower states that no machine work is necessary with their cams? Is it necessary to machine my head if I use Manley springs?

Which crower are you talking about? Brian Crower are not the best choice, I have seen many broken springs with very little time on them. Personally I would just get the evo8 springs. Then save up for the kiggly beehives.

I have bc272 cams with supertech dual valve springs and titanium retainers. I think they are 400-450$ new but I rev to 8500-8700 no problem with my hx35.

Which crower are you talking about? Brian Crower are not the best choice, I have seen many broken springs with very little time on them. Personally I would just get the evo8 springs. Then save up for the kiggly beehives.

Defently not BC, they are garbage. But I have some guy selling me brand new kiggly springs and titanium retainers with base washers for 350. I am very tempted but I do not need them for my 274's?

I shifted at 7500 with my stock springs/retainers. The Evo springs/retainers will do just fine for up to 8500 and you can get them for a fraction of the price.

id get kiggly's or ffwd springs

Defently not BC, they are garbage. But I have some guy selling me brand new kiggly springs and titanium retainers with base washers for 350. I am very tempted but I do not need them for my 274's?

GET THEM! Any engine will benefit from the increased valve control that the Kiggly beehive will offer. You can get away with the evo's, but the kigglys would be much better

Go with kiggly beehives, you will never really need an upgrade with those, Get them once, and they will handle anything you throw at them, that's how I see it.

My kiggly beehives/retainers, 3g lifters, SS valves, viton seals and oem guides have seen 9000 with K272's.

On another note, You'd want to go by hwat your cam specs are, but Graveyard Motorsports has never wanted to yeild a Cam Card for anyone that's why I never bought their cams, without a cam card how do you know your even getting better lift or duration??

Go with kiggly beehives, you will never really need an upgrade with those, Get them once, and they will handle anything you throw at them, that's how I see it.

My kiggly beehives/retainers, 3g lifters, SS valves, viton seals and oem guides have seen 9000 with K272's.

On another note, You'd want to go by hwat your cam specs are, but Graveyard Motorsports has never wanted to yeild a Cam Card for anyone that's why I never bought their cams, without a cam card how do you know your even getting better lift or duration??

Eh it was an impulse buy when I bought the cams :D. I never even thought about knowing all the specs of the cams, all I was reading was 274's and that had me sold! :ohdamn: But I am looking into some fp 4r cams in the near future :sneaky:

Eh it was an impulse buy when I bought the cams :D. I never even thought about knowing all the specs of the cams, all I was reading was 274's and that had me sold! :ohdamn: But I am looking into some fp 4r cams in the near future :sneaky:
If you plan to go to 4r's get fp beehives, ffwd beehives or kiggly beehives. Don't get the shitty bc springs! I had crazy valve float when I had those springs and they left me a nice going away present. I ended up with 3 bent valves on a brand new head with less than 300 miles on it!

I really didnt look at price when I bought the Kiggly's, its more like they were proven by many members on here, and Ive seen some nice passes with those springs present, It was just a given to get them. Your drivetrain will be happy and you have room for future upgrade :p

Or engines love to rev high so I would go with the best valve springs and retainers available. You will pay extra for them but they will save you in the long run and will never need to upgrade.
Kigglys
FFWD beehives
Ferraea beehives

Or engines love to rev high so I would go with the best valve springs and retainers available. You will pay extra for them but they will save you in the long run and will never need to upgrade.
Kigglys
FFWD beehives
Ferraea beehives

Especially if you have a good flowing turbo (NOT A FRIKEN BOLT ON), and a good intake.

For a "budget" single spring, I'd go with the Manleys. I run the Crowers with my 1X cams & they have been fine reving to 7750 daily & even held when I missed a 3-4 shift at the track & managed to hit 2nd, logs shows 10200rpms! But they are only something like ~15% stiffer then stock. The Manleys are a more aggressive spring. I know a few guys that have run them with their FP2X cams reving 7500-8000K & haven't had any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd vote "other" and tell you to save money running the Evo XIII/IX stock valve spring and retainer but the cams you have are too aggressive. For that set of 274's I suggest going with the following combination for your new valvetrain setup.
I was reading that the only thing that upgrading to evo springs and retainers was that they are lighter?
Right(retainers).
Not just the retainers are lighter when switching to the Evo XIII/IX springs and retainers, the springs themselves are lighter too because they are behived. A beehive valve spring reduces harmonics, has better stability, and as mentioned reduces the mass of the retainer AND spring.

:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back