The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil filter cut away Fram & WIX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusSVO

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
Oil filter cut away Fram & WIX

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Fram on left, Wix on right

The Fram bypass valve, also notice the cardboard end caps

See the wix filter media mount on the right, Fram has a gasket

Last edited:
Thanks!

I hope others will post up some other brands of filters that have been cut open too!

Thanks for posting this. Should help out with some bickering between people in threads in the future... .

Anyone with a few others on hand they wouldn't mind doing this with? for comparison say OEM, Mobil 1, K&N? That's all I use my self would be interesting to see how as many as possible and how they stack up against each other...

I have a few extra OEM ones and could do it to one sometime fairly soon.(though I'd rather not since I have to order them in)

Edit: I must post slow I'm was almost a echo that time Lol

Purolators are also comparable to the WIX filters. I've always run Purolator or OEM in every vehicle and I avoid Fram products like a chick with herpes. It just isn't worth the risk to me, dirty filter oil draining back into my oil pan just doesn't sound appealing... Thanks for taking the time to do this!

ive used fram extra guard x3 for like 8 years now and ive never had any problems with mine. even my step farther who used them on the eclipse before i brought it used them, i do want to use royal purple filters but there so damn expensive to ship over every 6 months for the service

Just another sign why fram won't touch my cars LOL. Napa gold series filters are made by wix. I wonder how closely they look inside side by side?

I should be changing oil this weekend sometime. All I have ever ran was a Napa Gold. Ill cut it open to compare, if I recall correctly they looked very similar to the Wix though. I haven't cut one open in about a year though.

I've used the fram tough guard filters on tons of cars. Currently I've got one on both the truck and my eclipse. The gst is running a Mobil 1 filter right now, but we've also used the purolater pureone on it. Never had any issues with either, and the truck has been known to run a little over on mileage between oil changes.

I always use K&N oil filters. If a place ever "throws" in a fram filter i just go striaght to the garbage and throw it away :thumb: I also think it's funny that O'Rielly has cut away's that you can see for yourself side-by-side Fram and Wix. Nice job though.

Anyone with a few others on hand they wouldn't mind doing this with? for comparison say OEM, Mobil 1, K&N? That's all I use my self would be interesting to see how as many as possible and how they stack up against each other...

I have a few extra OEM ones and could do it to one sometime fairly soon.(though I'd rather not since I have to order them in)

Same here. I always use OEM. I don't know if I can bring myself to cut up the last one I currently have but it sure is tempting.

Great pics. Thanks Dale!

I always use K&N oil filters. If a place ever "throws" in a fram filter i just go striaght to the garbage and throw it away :thumb: I also think it's funny that O'Rielly has cut away's that you can see for yourself side-by-side Fram and Wix. Nice job though.

Hummm... Did you notice the GREEN counter the filters are on.......

Hummm... Did you notice the GREEN counter the filters are on.......
So which one do you work at? Almost six years of bleeding green for me. WTF. I suspected there'd be some green in here just based on the title of the thread, recognized the sale fliers on the rental tool counter mat immediately. ROFL

We have these two and the old house brand (purolator) cut always in my store. I was so ticked when we switched suppliers for MGD, the purolator supplied wasn't bad. The Fram? Yummy cardboard. :notgood:

Purplehaze.. I haven't worked for the Green in 6 years or better, But 97-99 I started at store #37, was hurt, then went to store #35, then was moved to corprate CS-tech support. I was the guy you called when you could not find a part....

Purplehaze.. I haven't worked for the Green in 6 years or better, But 97-99 I started at store #37, was hurt, then went to store #35, then was moved to corprate CS-tech support. I was the guy you called when you could not find a part....

ISS in dist.90 here for the last three years, and wouldn't be if it weren't for the guys on the tech line. I learned more from them than anybody, even big Tony who "don't use them computers", only books. ROFL Nobody I worked with in the beginning on the front counter knew how to use catalogs at all. I'd call the tech guys and follow them in the catalogs to learn how to use some of the harder ones. Most of the tech guys are awesome, I still depend on them now & then.

You must have been deep down in greenland (Missur-ah) with those low store numbers. On topic, the house are now Fram, for about 2 years now. Bleh.

Last edited:
Purple haze.. #37 is the main machine shop in dist 1 in s-field....

Good to know about the house brand.

Anybody have experience with Driveworks oil filters? Advance Auto Parts sells them cheap.

Advance auto here :p. We sell a crap ton of oil changes with the driveworks filters and I haven't heard anything negative about them. I'm on the commercial side of the house and we have some pretty blunt shop owners so I would like to think that we would've heard something.

Ktgurl.... I am going to call Advance tommorrow and get him to comp me one so I can cut it apart...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back