The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Notchy shifts after car is warmed up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

initialRES

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 27, 2003
Fort Worth, TexasUS
I tried searching but couldn't find a problem like this so here it is.

I have a 1998 GSX with a competition 4 puck clutch. It was just put in about 1000 miles ago as well as a new master and slave cylinder. It has some regular castrol 80W-90 fluid in it (I know I should have gone synthetic but I was that tight on money)

Anyway, It drove great through the break in but now it is EXTREMELY notchy going into first from a dead stop. When the car is cold (the first 10 mins of driving or so) it goes into first just fine. But then after that the clutch pedal changes pressure a bit. It seems to get a bit stiffer. And then it gets notchy in first. It is also sometimes a bit notchy in the other gears but not too bad. I've tried adjusting the clutch pedal. It will act this way whether it is in the middle or out at the top.

One thing that I saw that I thought is kinda wierd, when I go to adjust the master cylinder rod, it moves the clutch pedal. What I mean is when I adjust the pedal so the engagement point is closer to the floor, and then adjust the cruise control switch so it has more free play on top, the clutch doesn't even touch the cruise control switch. The only way to make it touch is to adjust the engagement point out pretty far.

I don't know exactly what could cause this. I have not bled the clutch system since I put it in. I was thinking of doing that because I did not bleed it after the clutch was put in. I just don't want to go through that if thats not the problem, even though its not hard.

I was also thinking of getting new tranny fluid but I don't think thats it seeing how the clutch pedal feel changes a bit. Thats what really has me stumped. Its not a drastic change but it does feel different.

Any ideas would be helpful. I did have this all done at a shop (don't ask me why, its a long story and will never happen again). If you guys don't have a clue I will probably just drag it back there and waste another day watching them mess with it. Thanks guys

I know you just put in the clutch master and slave but i would check for leakage on both, pull back the boot and look. Usually if you dont go with oem on these parts they will leak.

I will check the slave cylinder. I know the master is alright (I've been under there a hundred times in the past week or so)

UPDATE:

Tonight I bled the clutch. I tried using a pump and think I did more harm than good. But anyway, Its still doing it but I think it is a bit better. I think I just didn't bleed it enough. Tomorrow I will try again and I'll run about a whole bottle through it. I'll let you know.

Wishihadatalon - My car does the same thing, when it practically locks me out, and I keep pressure on the shifter then pump the pedal once it falls right in. I have a good feeling that this will be fixed with bleeding. I'll let you know tomorrow if its fixed.

Well I bled the crap out of the thing today. I put about a bottle through it. It seems to keep doing it even afterwards. It is still sometimes notchy and the pedal pressure seems to change from normal to harder and back again. My only idea is that there is a leak in one of the lines. When I put the pump on the slave cylinder yesterday, as I pulled the fluid out, tons of bubbles came out with it, too many to be in the system. I am pretty sure there is a leak somewhere near the slave cylinder. I will have to crawl under it again in the next few days and figure it out. It may be time for a SS line. Does RRE sell them? I looked on their website and couldn't find it. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Well I found out what it was. The guy who installed my clutch didn't put any grease on the throw out bearing so it wouldn't disengage properly and wore out the throwout bearing. It wouldn't slide properly on the input shaft so thats what made it get harder. Anyway, it is being fixed now and I'm putting some redline fluid in it. My car should be back to good in no time.

its not hard, just time consuming. You have to drop the transmission to do it. Once you're there you might as well change the clutch too.

Its actually not that tough of a job. I did it and had no problems. It was time consuming and sometimes frustrating but not that bad. The only reason I took it to a shop this time was because I thought I messed something up when I did it myself. Turns out the shop that resurfaced my flywheel didn't resurface it right so it wasn't flat. I really should have done this job myself, it would have saved me alot of time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back