The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

no fuel on two cylinders

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vancho

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2011
spokane, Washington
Ok so i did a few things to my 1998 Gst, rebuilt the engine, started it, ran fine for about 50 miles, i changed out the fuel filter because the car has been sitting for over a year before i touched it. haven't poured more fuel in it yet, and after i changed out the fuel filter, it ran for about ten miles, i parked it. Then went to start it and it wouldn't start. I took out the sparks and two were soaked in fuel, and two were dry, i got a different set of injectors, same thing cylinder one and two were wet, 3 and 4 were dry, i put the injectors that were just spraying in the first two cylinders, to the last two, and they still don't spray, so i understand that i get fuel to the rail, i get fuel to the first two cylinders, but i don't understand why the 3rd and 4th cylinder don't spray, and when i drove it for the first 50 miles, i barley gave it gas, and the headers and exhaust part of the turbo were glowing red after about 10 miles of driving it, to which makes me think i run lean. full power wasn't there, it drove but just didn't seem right, if someone knows anything that i can do or check let me know please, thanks

Sounds like a bad lead somewhere, corrosion or a bent/broken missing pin in the injector plug. Possibly bad pin(s) on the ECU?

You probably shouldn't be driving it in this condition, especially if an easy cruise is leaving parts glowing red.

You can make a noid light and see if they are even getting signal.

I am not driving it right now, it can't start even if I wanted to drive it, I checked to see if the wires for the injectors were cut somewere, and didn't see anything, and there are no pins in the injector plugs, its a 2g, so it clips right on, I will check the resistor pack, but im not really sure what that is tho, LOL

Well I should clarify, the plugs are the same on 1Gs and 2Gs in terms of how they connect to the injector, are the terminals damaged or corroded? Did you try a noid light to see if all 4 cylinders are getting the injector pulse? Did you test voltage at the plug?

Maybe your CAS has gone bad?

Ok so i believe my cas has nothing to do with this because i took out the spark plugs, hooked them up in the wires, had it touching the valve cover, hod someone turn the key, and all 4 sparks were sparking, so i have spark, and the cas is giving out the right timing, haven't checked the ecu yet, what should i be looking for anyway? also its not the injector itself, the same ones that were just spraying, once i put it on the 3rd and 4th cylinder, they don't spray..

I would use the LED because they respond quicker. You can run another lead from a ground on the firewall to use for your noid light. Or just use an alligator clip lead from a multi-meter.

Yes That Bulb Needs To Have A ground so ground the bulb to the chassis or the other wire going to the injector. It most likily sounds like the PCM or ECU isnt sending an output to those 2 injectors or it could be that there might be an open somewhere on the wires going to the injectors. right now you need to hook that light somewhere on the wire to the injectors and if it lights up its getting an electrical "Signal" if thats the case your going to be chasing that wire looking for the open.

Alright I have this suggestion for you.

Pull out the cas, turn the key to on, spin it with your finger, do you hear all four of them clicking? That eliminates the whole noid light issue. Next I would move on to ecu and borrow one from a friend and see if that fixes it. I suppose you could just have two bad injectors though.

Pull out the cas, turn the key to on, spin it with your finger, do you hear all four of them clicking? That eliminates the whole noid light issue. Next I would move on to ecu and borrow one from a friend and see if that fixes it. I suppose you could just have two bad injectors though.

Ok I have a cas that is in the cam gear, like the 2ga style, and I have a crank angle sensor as well, how would that work out? Also, I have a gsx that I could pull the ecu off of, but I belive that ecu is flashed, because its tuned on bigger injectors, and more boost, will that matter at all? Is it safe to put the flashed ecu in the gst? Don't want to mess up my running dsm. Also it can't be the injectors because I have another set, and which ever ones are on 1 and 2, they spray, which ever ones are on 3 and 4 don't spray, no matter how I switch them around.

How do you figure? Not trying to be rude, genuinely curious.

The injectors work, per his posts where he states he switched them around, and the same cylinders still would not spray.

Then he says he tried a different set of injectors altogether and those showed the same results.

I am of the opinion that the CAS may be fine. But somewhere between the ECU, the resistor pack and the plugs for cylinders 3 and 4 the injector pulse is lost. That is what the noid is supposed to confirm. The 12v signal is already there, but the trigger wires with the injector impulse are what close the circuit, no?

Unless I am remembering this incorrectly, which is of course entirely possible. In which case I would like to learn :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back