The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

My 2G setup. A little Advice please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icer412

Probationary Member
Jun 27, 2008
Del Valle, Texas
My car is a 1997 automatic transmission GSX AWD eclipse

My goal is a high 200 - mid/low 300 range HP. Anything in that range would be nice. Trying for reliability. This car is a daily driver.

--- BTW the current Aftermarket parts list for this car looks like this ---

1. RRE 3" short downpipe
2. magnaflow/RRE 3" high flow cat.
3. Apexi N1 cat-back 3"
4. GREDDY 24v Front mount intercooler
5. GREDDY Upper and lower intercooler piping
6. GREDDY type RS BOV
7. Punishment Racing custom manifold mistubishi flanges
8. Punishment Racing custom O2 housing mitsubishi (stock) flanges
9. EVO III big 16G Turbo
10. Injen aftermarket intake piping (polished aluminum)

Here are some things I have been thinking about (please correct me if I need somthing different than what I list):

1. Injectors (maybe 700+ CC's ??? not sure on best size)
2. Fuel pump ( not sure what size needed or would be best)
3. Boost controller (not sure what kind)
4. Turbo timer (needed ??)
5. EGT guage (needed ??) (would it be possible to get the EGT spot on the manifold still? or would it be best else where? )

Can anyone think of anything else I might need or would be easy to use/install and would give me some good benefits?

Also what do you think about AEM EMS ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM - 95-99 DSM Turbo? Is this an option other than DSM link? And would it be better, worse, or the same?

Thank you for the help,

THomas

I have a similar setup, some things you should add i say go with 550cc injectors because they are good for the big 16g unless you want to run a dsmlink for any injectors bigger then 660cc because most management systems ive heard of incl my safc cant handle any bigger, you also want to go with a bigger pump at least a walbro 190hp but the 255 is better and around the same price but you will need a adjustable fuel pressure regulator for the 255, manual boost controllers are as reliable as the electronic except are more affordable turboxs makes good controllers, a wideband air/fuel guage can really help, you dont need the EGT gauge but def get a a/f gauge and they make lots of management systems the aem will run you about 1k but is real good it becomes your ecu, but the dsm link is cheaper and is the best, but if your running a budget like me right now, id say the safcII can get the job done hahaha i have two tuners im soooo broke, hope this helps by the way i just bought my dsm

You are always going to want more power because its an addiction so i would get a 255 walbro, 650 or 680 injectors and everything else besides the EGT gauge. There is really no need for it in my opinion at least.

i would say instead of going with a stand alone go with a maft. It will help the intake flow better. And with a data logger you can tune with the maft for bigger injector sizes instead of the limited stand alones.

get DSMlink and some 850cc injectors! then a 255+AFPR or a stock evo IX fuel pump +rewire

I have simiair mods done to me as you mine included 3'' turbo back exhaust no cat, fully ported mani and e316g turbo setup.38mm external waste gate due to realllly bad boost creep,intake, ssac short route fmic,pte 880s walbro 190 rewired and dsmlink. Dsmlink is wicked easy to play with once you get a good baseline tune. It has alot of options besides air/fuel/timing changes. Read into it, its def worth the money if you get it. Seeing how your awd you couldnt do like me but no lift to shift option is sweet doing 3rd gear smokeshows. If you have any questions let me know im open to help. If your considering dsmlink find a 95/96 eprom ecu quick there hard to come by. They float on ebay selling anywhere from like 100 to 300 shipped.

First, I woud like to say thank you for all the adivice thus far.

But, I am still a bit lost as to what route I should take.

I heard that if I get DSM link or Stand alone EMU like AEM I would not need a SAFT or the likes. If that is true I don't understand why people are saying to get both.

Is the stand alone better than the DSM link ? Still in the air about this question.

If my goal was high 200 and low/mid high 300 hp, would 190 fuel pump be more than enough or barely enough? I see alot of recommendations for 255, but I have been told that it requires a new regulator. right? Would there be alot of benefits for having a 255 over a 190? and would the 190 stress out the stock regulator as well ?

Is there a magic number for the injectors when using the evo3 16g? I dont want to get too low and I am not sure if there are problems if I go too high. What would be the best?

Some say get an EGT other say I dont need it. Which is it?

Anyways, I am not really on any kind of budget or anything.
I don't want to spend more than I need too though. It is common sense on that part.
I do want to reach my goals though.
I don't want complicated though. If I can spend money to NOT rewire something, then that is woth something to me.
I do want good, reliable, and easy. (I love plug and play)
I do want things to fit wth the currect setup that I have going.

I hope to get any good advice you have to offer. and thank you very much!
I really do appreciate it.

BTW my car is stock tranny automatic, it doesnt do any smoke outs. :nono:

definitely need new fuel pump - to keep everything a simple as possible go with a 190 and rewire it. get some evo 560 injectors. Then for engine management dsmchips.com have Jeff burn you a chip for your injectors and have fun....

A 190lph and 650cc injectors are good for 400awhp, but the pump is at it's limit. If you only want ~325-350, you could get away with some smaller injectors at a higher duty cycle.

A keydiver chip, AFPR and datalogger should be your cheapest tuning option for the desired power level. Or if you want more control and a more optimal tune you add the SAFC or MAFT with a wideband to the chip, AFPR and datalogger setup.

DSMLink is easier to use, but costs more initially (you'll still need the AFPR and wideband with it) and IMO is overkill at that power level.

A MBC is a necessity and a turbo timer would be a good investment, but if you get a wideband you really wouldn't need an EGT gauge also.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back