The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Intercooler Concerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple_Demon

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Chillicothe, Ohio
I had a specific question about the Greddy intercooler on my talon. It came on the car and worked fine for the previous owner, but I personally am not too comfortable running an intercooler that looks to be this banged up...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have a friend currently wanting to give 200cash for the intercooler alone. Would it be work ditching this one in favor of a new one to possibly support flow for 500whp?

My biggest concern though is the damaged fins, they are all crushed down and almost an entire layer of fins are crushed on the bottom from his car being too low in previous years.

air does not flow through those except to cool.. as long as it doesnt leak it doesnt effect anything.. besides its cooling efficiency by what.. maybe .5% or something?? the airflow going to your engine goes through the big cores..if that makes sense ha

Last edited by a moderator:
k just saying didnt know if you did....

nope especially since its just the lower fins that are only a 1/2 tall anyways..

Yeah thats the other reason Im hesitant. If I sell the intercooler, then I doubt ill be able to find another like it..hmm

I may just try and straighten the fins tomorrow night.

i had the same one on my first talon....it was a good intercooler and look beat up like yours. If i was you id dump it on your friend for the 200 and go by yourself a vrsf kit. just my.o2

The intercooler has worked for the past 2 owners of the car and that was 5 years of abuse LOL. I cant see any cracks or anything of the sort. Just the fins from where its been pelted with rocks and bottomed out once

Wouldn't it being all beat up like that decrease efficiency of the IC to a certain extent? IMO I would shop around for another core. But if you are hell bent on keeping it, pressure test it as mentioned before and use it if it turns out ok.

Has anyone else noticed how crooked the "greddy" stamp is? Its probably fake and if someones willing you pay your almost 100 dollars more for a used beat up core, your a fool if its not off and on his door step in the morning.

i also have this intercooler, that one is terribly bent up compared to mine. im not a fan of the pipping route, and if i ever happen to come across the right price short route kit ill prlly swap it for mine.

Yeah I was there the day this kit came in from UPS to his house. Its genuine greddy LOL, and yes I believe he did put the greddy pain on himself.

But im getting a 2g transfer case, lsd rear diff, 450cc injectors and $100 for it and the weird ass routed piping, so all in all not a bad deal.

sell it and and buy new. theres to many companies making them for around 300 new, not to

Definitley get a new intercooler. Look at all them bent fins!

Also, invest in one of those grill protectors for like bugs, rocks and road debris. It will save your new intercooler from the same fate as this one.

But as long as this one still works and does its job, I see no reason to toss it. Just something to think about.....:hmm:

Like it says if its not leaking and passes pressure test you will be more then fine. Especially if this isnt going on a big set up. Im running a hx 52 setup on mine and with how big and it not being my DD anymore i would get a new one. If this is for a 16g or 14b you will be fine.

sorry didnt see the last post. Punishment is pretty decent. thats what i ran to 550 hp with no issues and worked really well.

I'm pretty sure he just said he sold it....

The Punishment Racing kit's are good. I would also suggest looking at VRSF.

Im trying to dig the link up for VRSF atm. But I tried the fin comb, didnt work. Some of the fins are completely folded over. I got most of them with a knife and such but I kinda wanted a new one anyways.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back