The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved I broke this, what the heck is it??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clownface

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 27, 2003
Bluefield, Oklahoma
i was working on the car and noticed that i had broken this thingy(see pic) i dont know what i did to break it. What the heck is it? It has a spring inside it. If you cant tell thats the back side of the thermostat housing thing. How much can i expect to pay for one of these and where should i get one???:confused:

Attachments

• broken thingy.jpg
    broken thingy.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 965
Solution
That is for your temp guage. I broke mine. I get a great discount at my local dealer for parts. I paid 12 bucks.
It doesn't affect anything. I drove around for a couple of weeks before I replaced it.
Im not for sure what it is, but does your temp guage work? Does one of your fans stay on?

-Dallas J

dunno, havnt been driving it for a while, been fixing junk. I think it happened when i broke lose one of the shift cable mount bolts today and accidently hit on the wire connected to it when that happened but im not sure, anyone know what it is??

That is for your temp guage. I broke mine. I get a great discount at my local dealer for parts. I paid 12 bucks.
It doesn't affect anything. I drove around for a couple of weeks before I replaced it.

Solution
okay ill prolly go ahead and get a new one now cause im draining the coolant and it would be easier to just do that once. Thanks for identifying that for me.

ill be sure to do that^ thank ya

if the thing i broke is for the temp gauge(green)
whats this other thing for, just cause i dont know(red)

They use two sensors because these cars are not equipped with CAN (controller area network). European cars have been using this for years and the Japanese are just recently introducing it on their cars.

hey clown face can you do me a favor and take a pic right under the coolant pipe you took a picture of. there is a metal piece with a small hole in it that im sure has something connected to it. i happen to find that a few days ago but i just want to make sure either its like that or a wire goes to it bc i cant find a loose wire anywhere. i checked in my friends auto gst but he didnt have one. would really appreciate it. thnx

tbehling said:
what would happen if you decided to remove the one in red to install an aftermarket gauge

Why not start your own thread, or better yet, SEARCH, instead of trying to steal other people's threads.

But since that isn't a valid answer, If you unplug the cooalnt temp sensor (circled in red) your car will not start (at least on a 2g) If the ecu doesn't detect the coolant temp sensor, you will have an extremely hard time getting it to start/run.

ArticNemesis said:
Why not start your own thread, or better yet, SEARCH, instead of trying to steal other people's threads.

But since that isn't a valid answer, If you unplug the cooalnt temp sensor (circled in red) your car will not start (at least on a 2g) If the ecu doesn't detect the coolant temp sensor, you will have an extremely hard time getting it to start/run.

Same for 1G's...if the coolant temp sensor isn't plugged in the injectors won't fire...which equals the car won't start.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back