The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

HX35 Clutch Choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooldude919

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2007
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Doing a full rebuild and moving up to a hx35 after my 16g ate itself after 700 miles. Just had an act 2600 W/ street disk and act lightweight flywheel put in. From what i have read this may or may not be ok for an hx35 with bep housing(so around ~50lb/min). Here is the current condition of the parts, i would appreciate input on this. Only thing that sticks out to me is what appears to be 3 "hot spots" on the flywheel and pp.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Heres some of the options i am looking at.

1. Go with what i have
2. Get flywheel and or PP(do you get PP's resurfaced?) resurfaced and go with 6 puck
3. Get flywheel resurfaced and go bigger on the clutch (fidanza 4.3, spec, act 2900?)
4. Go big daddy twin disk

Thoughts?

I'd stick with what you have or go to a Fidanza 4.3 and it all depends on your driving style to determine whether you do need a 6 puck or street disc. You don't need a 2900 or a twin disc, you to focus on the engine and a bigger turbo before you go that far.

I second this opinion. You dont need to drop a lot on a twin disk now. Either get the flywheel resurfaced ( pp dont get resurfaced) and call it a day or #3 flywheel resurface and a 4.3 or equivalent.

Let me say that car will not be a DD and will be for weekend & track use. So if the 6 puck is a better option because of this then i would like to know.

A 6 puck will hold more torque than a street disc if you use the same pressure plate, but it will be harder to engage smoothly. I'm also not sure if the 6 pucks come sprung or unsprung.

I run a sprung 6-puck in my set-up. It engages very smoothly and holds gobs of power. After having it in the car since spring 2005, it popped a disk spring and I was forced to change it last month.

I run a sprung 6-puck in my set-up. It engages very smoothly and holds gobs of power. After having it in the car since spring 2005, it popped a disk spring and I was forced to change it last month.

What PP? 2600?

Would it be worth getting the SBC kevlar disk from horsepowerfreaks? I hear it works well with the 2600 PP and is better than the street disk?

South Bend Clutch Disks from HorsepowerFreaks

Since Tim Zimmer left good reviews for the clutch I'd say go with it. He's putting down a lot of power and does good documentation of products from what I've seen so far. Although I think Jrohner has sold me on my next clutch as an xtd stage 4.

What PP? 2600?

Pressure plate is an RPS 2500. They stopped making these plates years ago. It has about 40,000 miles on it and about an easy 100 runs at the strip.

Meh, you can call me Mr. Adequate. I don't just buy the latest and greatest stuff because of the times. The old RPS still works with a generic 6-puck sprung disk. I'll only upgrade when absolutely needed. 135MPH traps in the 1/4 mile and I have no need for any upgrade yet.

I think i will end up going with the south bend street disk with my act 2600pp.

Thats what I just got done installing today and I have a rebuilt HX-35 waiting to go in over the winter. Get the FW resurfaced. Tim suggested running an ACT FW b/c of the heat that the kevlar can create not being good for an Aluminum FW. I just cleaned up my PP with some 150 & 220 grit emery cloth b/c it wasn't bad at all.

If you contact SBC directly its cheaper. 800-988-4345. Mine was $142.50 plus $22 shipping and the part number is 735 TZ Disc on my invoice. It has a newly designed Exedy sprung hub and I sent pics to Tim and he confirmed it was the same one he got from horsepower freaks with a new hub design.

Attachments

• SBC Kevlar Clutch.jpg
    SBC Kevlar Clutch.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,632
The 2600lb pressure plate should be fine, but use the 6 puck disk. I just dynoed mine on a street disk with 2600lb pressure plate and it started slipping at 5800. HX35 made 494hp 466tq before it slipped. The 2600/street disk combo is supposed only good for 412ft lbs according to ACT's website. Now I know some people have made more than that on the street disk but its just easier to throw in a 6 puck instead of having to pull the trans a second time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back