The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

HELP FAST!!! Transmission?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my98GST

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 1, 2005
Cleveland, Tennessee
the past two days have been really cold where I live. I have a 98 GST with 148k on the stock tranny. For the past two days it will be extremely stubborn on going into gear. I changed the tranny fluid about 2 months ago (4k ago) with synchromesh.

While sitting at a dead stop, the clutch does feel a little softer now but when you go to put it into gear it does NOT want to go in. You can not just push it into gear, you have to slam it into gear. It does this with every gear, it just plain and simply does not want to go in gear. While shifting to every gear even reverse it grinds. Occasionally it will pop out of gear and grind.... I have a stock clutch in it that has roughly 80k that has seen quite a bit of harsh driving done to it.

Is it my clutch or my tranny? need help asap!! ordering parts immediately pending on what it is. Thanks a bunch!

the clutch is on its way out.

just speaking from experience. I had the same situation you have right now , right down to every gear popping detail... but one thing worries me.. its the fact that you have difficulty shifting into gears. inspect the crank play. good luck.

p.s. my clutch got fried at 76000.. so... long story short had it replaced and my car is as good as new... currently at 81000.

:dsm:

Sounds like the fluid might have frozen, perhaps due to contamination (I've seen it happen on power steering before, cost a new power steering pump). May require new master/slave cylinder now. You need to diagnose it step by step.

problem diagnosed........

damn floor mats... I took them out of my car sat morning to clean the interior of my car and then my dad put them back in and i didn't notice them and when i was getting ready to take my car to my mechanic i noticed that the floor mats were really high up and i looked at the clutch pedal and it was folded over so the pedal wasn't going all the way down....talk about feeling like a complete jackass.... :sosad:

my98GST said:
problem diagnosed........

damn floor mats... I took them out of my car sat morning to clean the interior of my car and then my dad put them back in and i didn't notice them and when i was getting ready to take my car to my mechanic i noticed that the floor mats were really high up and i looked at the clutch pedal and it was folded over so the pedal wasn't going all the way down....talk about feeling like a complete jackass.... :sosad:

crazy things happen like that. be glad it was just your floormats :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back