The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Flooding while cranking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIT

Proven Member
Jul 20, 2015
Wisconsin
I've had an issue with my car flooding while cranking for a while. I got around it by pumping the throttle a bit while cranking and it would always fire right up and idle perfectly.

I have also been fighting issues with the car cruising and idling rich. I logged (via evoscan) my o2 sensor voltage while idling and driving and it hardly ever changes.

The car sat for a day while the part came in and I replaced the o2 sensor. Now, the car floods when cranking worse than before. I can still get it started with pumping the throttle but it will die soon after. I even hold the throttle partially open and the RPMs will climb to about 2500 and then come back down sputtering until the car dies.

I verified that it is flooding by unplugging the injectors and starting the car. With a little throttle it would fire up and then promptly die once the fuel in the cylinders has been used up. Plug them back in and the cycle repeats. The plugs are all wet. The most fuel is in cylinder 4. The least is in cylinder 1, 2 and 3 are about the same. I'm judging this on how much fuel vapor is rising out of the spark plug hole once I remove the plug. Cylinder 1 plug seemed dryer than the others.

Anyway, I'm at a loss. I searched a bunch and the threads I found where a similar issue was resolved ended up having issues with cam timing. My timing is dead on. Coolant temp sensor was recently replaced and according to the data logs looks accurate. The ECU is seeing coolant temps of 23*C on the logger which is 73*F.

I pulled the injectors and none of them are stuck open. I checked the voltage at the pigtails with key on and they are not stuck on or shorted out. I changed the o2 sensor back and the issue hasn't changed. It seems that something must be commanding them to be open too much but the only thing that has changed since it as running great was the o2 sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Double check what you've done to your flash tune. The stock software isn't going to flood with stock injectors, It's up to your tuning to keep the "1650cc-ish" from flooding when running a 98 blackbox ECU.

It's not clear from your profile if you're running with a MAF or SD or what fuel your running.

(and please don't post big blocks of run on text if you want assistance)

It's not clear from your profile if you're running with a MAF or SD.

Looking at your build thread pictures, I think I answered that question.

dsc_0906-jpg.672644

I have shared this a few times already, but check the vacuum line to your FPR. I had a flooding issue and it turned out the diaphragm ripped and was leaking fuel through the vacuum line and sucking it into the engine. Worth checking anyways.

I have shared this a few times already, but check the vacuum line to your FPR. I had a flooding issue and it turned out the diaphragm ripped and was leaking fuel through the vacuum line and sucking it into the engine. Worth checking anyways.
I just looked and the line is dry. I was curious if it may have been something with the fpr but I'm not sure if there's any way to test that other than replacing it.

Double check what you've done to your flash tune. The stock software isn't going to flood with stock injectors, It's up to your tuning to keep the "1650cc-ish" from flooding when running a 98 blackbox ECU.

It's not clear from your profile if you're running with a MAF or SD or what fuel your running.

(and please don't post big blocks of run on text if you want assistance)
I’m not running 1650cc ish injectors. I’m running denso 660s. I don’t think there’s any run on sentences in my post. People complain when there isn’t enough description in a post so I was thorough. That way people wouldn’t have to ask questions or make suggestions I have already addressed. Thanks anyway

You're right, I missed the Denso 660's injectors listed in your profile and only saw the wish list. Since your post was about the injectors flooding the engine and you didn't list them I had to go searching and got it wrong.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back