The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Driveshaft & Transfer Case Fitment Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motozachl

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
My driveshaft isn't going all the way into the transfer case. I took it off several months ago to get to the oil pan bolts. Now I slid the shaft back into the case to put it back on and bolted it back up. Well the driveshaft it sticking out about 1.5-2 inches. I can pull it into the case but it just springs back out because of the middle driveshaft mount boot. Am I missing something :confused:

Did you know how much slack there was before you pulled it out?

Sounds normal to me. There is an inch or so of play where the yoke goes into the transfer case. Eliminates the problem of bottoming out in case of engine movement.

I'm assuming the car was drivable before you pulled the driveshft. If the transfer case is bolted up and the driveshaft is installed, you should be good to go. There isn't anything you could do wrong. The driveshaft slides back and forth on the transfer case shaft.

Since you have it hooked up, try driving it and see if things work. Worst case you have to put it back on jack stands BUT you'll then have different symptoms to describe that we can help you with.

For the splines not to engage, the driveshaft would have to be pulled out of the transfer case to the point where it's falling out. Check the splines for damage. While you're down there, you may as well see if there's maybe some kind of suction thing going on in your C/V joint at the back of the driveshaft, because I thought the shaft was supposed to spring toward the T-case, not away from it.

If you got the splined hub with the snapring into the gearbox and the wheels spin, it is possible the cv joind discombubilated and that's why the extra spacing. The balls are out of the joint. It is possible to put it together by getting personal with the boot with feel. Next, If the joint will not go into the trans case, sometimes a knock on the axle end will push it in. It clears the snapring. This is of course, if the joint is not discombubilated. Tres..

Alright so I took some measurements so I anyone could go out and double check theirs that would be :D

As it sits - 1.25
When I pull is out 1.75
Pushed in .75

Here is a pic of it currently

Attachments

• 4583371087_74b73d4862_b.jpg
    4583371087_74b73d4862_b.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 101
I just put my T-Case up last night.

I had the same issue.... but I give it a tad bit of force and it popped right into place.

Your Diveshaft isn't dangling on the ground is it? D;<

I just put my T-Case up last night.

I had the same issue.... but I give it a tad bit of force and it popped right into place.

Your Diveshaft isn't dangling on the ground is it? D;<

Popped into place? Can u check the measurements with the ones I provided please? No it's definetly not sitting on the ground and can't pull it all the way out either.

Side note: ship me that fender ###zz

The picture looks normal to me. Looks like you have about 2-3" of it in the transfer case. Not sure how long the yoke is.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back