The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Bucking And Stalling Problem! Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly8911

Probationary Member
Jul 13, 2008
Goshen, New_York
I have a 1995 eagle talon with a 6-bolt engine and a 7-bolt head. So my car started bucking about a year ago and it would randomly do it whenever it wanted-sometimes I could drive it fine and other times it would just buck like crazy. Ever since I bought it it’s randomly stalled when I come to a complete stop too quickly or if I rev it up while in neutral it will just hit about 2000-3000rpm and turn right off (depending on what the car wants to do at that moment!). The mods that were done already when I bought the car are…
-20g turbo
-Alamo side mount intercooler
-Injen aluminum air intake and air filter
-turbotechnic ex wastegate
-3.5” stainless catback with 5” tailpipe
-high volume HRC 195 fuel pump
-Koho aluminum radiator
-S-AFC

The car sat for a couple months and now I’m trying to fix the problem, I took it to Turbotrix and oddly enough the car never bucked when they had it-they took out the catalytic converter, put in 650cc injectors and fixed all my boost leaks and tuned the car. The car ran good for a while and then all of a sudden started bucking again and also backfiring really badly. I then bought a MAF-Translator and took out the S-AFC hoping to solve the problem because the car was running way to rich but when that didn’t really fix it I put the 450cc injectors back in but it was still doing the same thing. I also got a fuel pressure regulator which I can only get up to about 10 psi and just makes the car stall and backfire even worse when its open. I seem to get the car tuned pretty well with the MAF-T to where it won’t buck but then randomly will again out of no where and sometimes floods out. Now it doesn’t seem to be flooding anymore because I have it leaned out but now it just shuts off and won’t turn back on for about 10 minutes and then starts up fine. Me and a friend have just about checked and changed out everything in the car and now it’s just getting annoying. The one thing is the 2nd O2 sensor isn’t in the car and I’m going to replace that this week. We have tried 2 different ECU’s, 2 different MAF’s, checked for boost leaks, tried a different coil pack, tried a different power transitor, tried 2 different BOVs, tried 4 different throttle bodies including a over sized BBK one, checked the fuel pump, and got a new fuel filter. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP! THANKS!

Umm just gonna throw this out there. Spark plugs gapped to the appropriate size?

Could be the missing o2 but you probley already know that.

Another thought is you could have a bad o2 for your wideband. It might just be flooding it out being to rich and making it buck.

Just my .02

Im having the same exact problem, I had the same exact set up on my 7 bolt. When I did the 6 bolt swap I had the same symptons and I havent come with a conclusion either.

I also got a fuel pressure regulator which I can only get up to about 10 psi and just makes the car stall and backfire even worse when its open.

Clarify this a little bit. You can't raise your fuel pressure 10psi more than stock, or your fuel system pressure is only 10psi?

Secondary O2 sensors look for a change in oxygen content to make sure the catalytic converter is doing its job. I doubt it'll have any effect on your car, unless its a setting a CEL.

Umm just gonna throw this out there. Spark plugs gapped to the appropriate size?

Could be the missing o2 but you probley already know that.

Another thought is you could have a bad o2 for your wideband. It might just be flooding it out being to rich and making it buck.

Just my .02

Yes the spark plugs are gapped to the appropriate size and the wideband O2 sensor would read on the OBDII also if it was messed up right? Should I replace that O2 sensor also?

Clarify this a little bit. You can't raise your fuel pressure 10psi more than stock, or your fuel system pressure is only 10psi?

Secondary O2 sensors look for a change in oxygen content to make sure the catalytic converter is doing its job. I doubt it'll have any effect on your car, unless its a setting a CEL.

It's an ungraded FPR and the guage is only reading 10 psi and it won't read more than that i mean i don't know if there is something wrong with the FPR but it's brand new so I dunno but when i close the screw all the way it just reads zero and the car seems to run better and doesn't backfire as much but when I open it up little by little the psi goes up but it stops at about 10 and if i keep opening the screw it just turns off the car. And kinda new to all this but CEL is check engine light right? cause it's on, it came on about a 8 months after i got the car but the O2 sensor has been disconnected since I bought the car and the CEL just all of a sudden went on and when i hook up the OBDII to it it says its the O2 sensor so that is y the light is on. It's weird Lol

Your fuel pressure should not be 10 psi. Either your gauge is wrong, your fuel filter is plugged solid, you have a leak, or your fuel pump is on the way out. Your fuel pressure should be about 42-43 psi

Your fuel pressure should not be 10 psi. Either your gauge is wrong, your fuel filter is plugged solid, you have a leak, or your fuel pump is on the way out. Your fuel pressure should be about 42-43 psi

Well i just bought the gauge but i guess it could be broken and the fuel filter is brand new, we checked for boost leaks, and we checked the and rewired the fuel pump but i guess it could be cutting out?

I am not sure if it is my CAT or not... It is so frustrating. The car will not even idle now. At first it started out barely noticable and now this. It has only been like 3 weeks but I have tried to continue driving it back and forth to work only. I have replaced plugs and wires and distributor cap and fuel filter and canister purge solinoid and air filter and I have even stumped a couple of mechanics just taking a quick look at it. It is not my EGR or O2 so I am told. SO WHAT IS IT? I have beat on the CAT to see if i can break the carbon deposits inside loose and I can see a few small black things on the ground behind my car after getting on the gas setting still in my drive way. I also have white smoke coming out while I am doing that. Please help!!!

Attachments

• random pics 021.jpg
    random pics 021.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 143
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back