The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Both Crower cams notched?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakk220

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2010
Akron, Ohio
I ordered a set of 272 Crower cams from extreme psi to add to my build. When I went to put them on, I took the notched cam and put it on the intake as it should be. When I timed the engine and rotated the crank I heard loud ticks only to find out that the valves were not decompressing when the cams were not even touching them and the pistons were at the bottom. So I pulled the head off wondering what was wrong only to see that the pistons were hitting the valves somehow.

Confused, i looked at the cams and noticed that both of the cams were notched, when I thought only the intake one should be. Now I did not know for sure what cam was which. i looked for a packet from crower but they did not send me one so I called them and they told me how to tell the difference and the cams were indeed on backward. I also found the packet Crower should have sent me online and it states that both cams should NOT be notched and only the intake cam.

My question is, why are both cams notched and is this normal? Does anyone else have Crower cams that are notched on both? And how bad is it that the cams were on backward when rotating the crank? Bent valves?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back