The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

crower cams stage 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaycoy

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 20, 2002
kankakee, Illinois
i found a good deal on a set of crower stage 3 cams and was wondering if anyone has used them. are they more aggressive than the hks 272's??? how do they compare to the hks 272's?? any info good or bad would be greatlly thankful

I run the stage 4's. The stage 3's are a touch more than the HKS 272's. What mods do you have and how high are you going to rev? Sorry I did not look at your mods. You should have at least a 20G or 50trim turbo and you will be able to rev to 7500 on stock valvetrain, higher and I would upgrade the springs/retainers. mark

Switched from hks 272 to crower stage 3 two years ago. Picked up 25whp at 7000, 47whp at 7500. This was on a 2.4. worth 3mph at the track. They idle better too.

That is a great gain..sounds like I might want to get a set of those and sell my 264/272s off.What springs do I need are my crower single springs and retainers good enough for stage 3 and who sells them?And no Sweet dont' think want the stage 4s..

Just got on crower site..they list the stage 3s..where are stage 4s on their site or are they custom grind..

They go up to a stage 5, then they are custom grinds after that. I am not going to list details, as you need to call crower. I have done my homework and we run 2 sets of stage 4's and about to pruchase a stage 5 for our race car to step up from HKS 272's.

They kick ass to say the least. I will let Sweet97 tell you more. I helped with his decision and from what he tells me he is all smiles.

Steven

First I want to thank Steven here on this forum for taking his valuable time and experience to answer many questions. I have respect for that. Stage 4's are for the street in a well modded car. A nice step up from HKS 272's and apparently a well kept secret. Al for a 2.4 you would want the stage 5's. The 2.4 would tame the stage 4's and you would be dissatisfied. Call Brian Crower. www.crower.com and click contact. Ask Brian for his recommendation for a 2.4 and the turbo you will use. Stock Crower springs and retainers work with the stage 4's for me. Man the car has torque steer and it's AWD! It's a bit much trying to street tune, I need track time. Or the Bonneville salt flats! At 5k rpm's it's just immediate rev to 8500 QUICK! These cams and the JM SMIM are the best mods I have ever added. I have never felt mods like this before and that includes adding the Buschur stage 3. Mark
PS: Idle is fine at 1000. Off idle-pre boost is quite normal and I already described WOT.

Well Mark I took your advice on the JM FAB intake so might take your advice on the cams. The 264/272 combo does seem a bit light for my 2.4 and was even kicking at least matching with 272/272s.but the price of the crowers and what I could get for the hks even used likely no problem switching over.
I don't want to have weak bottom end either though ,the point of the 2.4 is have good off boost response and still fast spool up and top end is limited to 8000 rev limit or so on the stroker I would think.Also not into upgrading valve springs either.It would seem that you would need better springs for the higher stages.And not too clear the stage 3 on crower site says its race or something but you are saying the stage 4 is more for street and ditto for the stage 5s ?
I like crower have several crower products already in this car and my other cars.No complaints.
Will email them and see what is recommended.I would need to order some fairly soon if go ahead,don't want to be swapping in cams after do the motor,much simpler to just throw them in at assembly time of course.

Al, just call Brian Crower on monday. He gets to work early, 7AM I think eastern time. 619-661-6477.
He calls certain cams race so the uninformed will not buy big cams for motors not modded for that size. He also lists his specs at the cam lobe , NOT the valve like other cam manufacturers. I am not sure about the stage 5's at all but would like to know the specs. The FP4's have 220* duration but low lifts, around .400 in/out. Very rough idle so the guy at SBR told me. Call me!

Since I wanted pretty mellow idle I went with the stage 3 crowers.Find out how they work in a month or so if things go right.Sure my 2.4 could have tamed the stage 4 or 5 but did see those good results posted above and that sounds good to me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back