The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Blown 5-Speed NO FLUID!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TermTrky

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 23, 2007
PNW, Washington
Just took out my 5-speed. Didn't drain ANY fluid. Put her on the side, not one drop of fluid came out during the whole dissemblance. The tranny was frozen, no gears. Neutral stalled the car. I'm wondering.... Any hope to rebuild? Shade tree mechanic job? I can't find a cheap 2G Tranny. Could I get a cheap 1G and frankenstein something together? I know the mounts are way different.

Get this:
Monster Auto Wrecking out of Seattle, WA: "We have one 1995 5-Speed. $750, 170,000 miles on it."

I about had a heart attack! I got a quote for $800 for Renton Transmission to go through the trans and replace anything damaged.

It's N/A. I will take it apart and post carnage pictures, I want to see why it's effin' frozen solid!
I head the Neons will work as well, I forget the specifics. I'll get one somewhere :D

This happen to me when I was changing my clutch on my Talon, I filled it with syncromesh and let it sit for a couple days and it worked fine for, well 2 years now.

Go to the junkyard and pull one out of a neon, i'm pretty sure they are the same. If it's a turbo trans you can put 1g internals into it.

+1 on junk yard shopping, go to a pick in pull type place, should find a trans for like $200

Yeah the price is $50 up here "Pull a Part". I found a transmission, 90K Miles, $250 from a guy up here. But he just sold it!! In a week, that was the only tranny I even found for sale!

Jets303,
SyncroMesh? If it will unfreeze this transmission, it will keep going. 3rd pops out, but I just need to make it to work until I can get it fully rebuilt

Even the 'I'm a fatass and too lazy to pick & pull myself' junkyards around here have them pretty reasonably priced at $200. Go on car-part.com and do a big search - you're bound to find plenty of them on there.

Out in the Seattle area, all of the junkyards wanted around 650 - 700 for a very high mileage transmission :/ I'd like to have one built by a shop soon.... A bit complicated for the average mechanic

I shelled 3rd gear on my t5 in my mustang and rebuilt it myself with a buddy. costed me about $210 total! woot with some HD gears now.

I'm not sure if he deals with fwd trannys but there is a guy in puyallup who lists on craigslist many DSM parts. I bought a spare AWD trans and transfer unit for $150. The trans does need rebuilt but everything inside still moves unlike what you may possible find if there was no fluid in the trans. I have a 2 friends who work at the Lynnwood Pull a Part but they don't always get in DSM's. And often not manuals.

fedj,
I found several transmissions < 100K in Spanaway and Tacoma on Craigslist, $100, perfect units, and they sold before my transmission blew. I've just been playing a waiting game until I find another unit.

Before I continue with my syncromesh exploration, I am curious. I have a CONSTANT scraping noise coming out of my transmission, has been doing it for 2 years. It's very loud. Even with a brand new throw-out bearing.

Could this be a roller bearing internally?

Has anyone rebuilt an Eclipse 5 speed?

Make sure you put the correct trans fluid back in. When I bought mine somebody put 90 weight type in and wondered why it would not shift right! Mitsu was about $14 per quatr and it takes 2 quarts. Neon fluid is the same find out who is cheaper and go with them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back