The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

balance shaft / timing belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbender

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 15, 2002
houston, Texas
Well i have to change the water pump on my new car and with it I will do the 13,000 mile old timing belt. The question is what would happen if you just pulled the belt for the balance shaft off? Has anybody done the shaft removal and if so how long is the shaft (can you get it out with the engine in the car?)

Also any crappy water pumps out there I need to steer clear of I don't want to have to do this again.

Do not just pull the balance belt off. You can get the balance shafts out with the engine still in the car. It is a bit more work, but is possible. i think it is possible to just remove one and leave the other one in there, but I am not too sure. I know a friend of mine just did it. I will ask him tomorrow what he did.
As for water pumps... as with most parts, just use Mitsu parts. I'd say get a Mitsu water pump.

I am in the process of doing the bs removal. The reason you cannot just take the b-belt off is because the rear balance shaft would still be spinning since it is connected to the oil pump sprocket. I would imagine with the reas bs spinning and the front one not, that it would create some nasty vibrations.

In my case I am going to leave the front shaft in and just replace the rear with the Mirage stub shaft. I've read several posts where people say it's hard as heck to take the front shaft out and replace the bearings while the engine is still in the car. Leaving the front shaft in w/o the belt and with the rear bs replaced is not a problem. It will be just dead weight sitting there.

Originally posted by allturbo
In my case I am going to leave the front shaft in and just replace the rear with the Mirage stub shaft. I've read several posts where people say it's hard as heck to take the front shaft out and replace the bearings while the engine is still in the car. Leaving the front shaft in w/o the belt and with the rear bs replaced is not a problem. It will be just dead weight sitting there.

This is what I did in my 92. The rear can slide out past the frame rail with a little turning of the front case and balance shaft as you pull it out.

On my 96 6-bolt block, I had both of them ripped out.

It is much easier out of the car :)
But it can all be done w/ the engine in, you will have to remove the oi; pan to install the block off bearings, and take the oil pump assembly off to get to the rear shaft. Hell you might as well take out your pistons and change the rings on them too, then take the head to the machine shop to get freshened up :)
Just messing around, but this is no easy job!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back