The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Any downfalls of one sided front mount intercoolers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The general concensus is that they dont flow as well. Something about the change in direction compared to regular intercoolers.

Yeah i figured they would flow a little less.. thanks a bunch

I've actually been thinking about getting this type of intercooler as the piping will be alot easier. Really, it depends on your power goals. I think if you're not looking for huge numbers, this type will be fine. Dejon had a kit with a similar IC for sale, I seem to recall them saying max of 450hp or something. The pics of the IC and setup are still on the site, but they don't mention it as a kit anymore.

Much like a top to bottom style FMIC, you need to keep in mind that due to the inlet/outlet being on the same end tank, some of the hot air will barely be cooled, if at all. it will go in one and just go right back out the other due to the flow characteristics of the IC. Also since the air has to change direction completely there is going to be a considerable drop in pressure as compared to a side to side IC.

Much like a top to bottom style FMIC, you need to keep in mind that due to the inlet/outlet being on the same end tank, some of the hot air will barely be cooled, if at all. it will go in one and just go right back out the other due to the flow characteristics of the IC. Also since the air has to change direction completely there is going to be a considerable drop in pressure as compared to a side to side IC.

This is true, but won't it still be alot better then a stock or even upgraded sidemount?

Just throwing the two options the OP asked about for reference sake.

First option:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Second option:

Personally, I would choose neither. I would never ever choose an intercooler design similar to that of the second photo. I would much rather have an intercooler designed similar to the one below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's like the one on dejon's site. That's what I think I will end up using when I go with an FMIC.

That is unless that intercooler has some kind of shunt or seperating layer that literally sections off half the intercooler and only allows air that has been "processed" to exit out the other half and out.

again, hampered flow, but I'd think it would work just fine.
Damn fmic's for being so expensive.

I'd love to get one but the ssac one is just too large and I want my fogs. Something more practical with a similar price tag would be nice.. if there was such an animal. I close the window immediately whenever I see kits costing $800 or more.

Like I said, with top to bottom FMICs like the last one pictured, the air does not get cooled as well as with a side to side FMIC. Tests have been done proving this.
And yea, a block off plate would work but that would be a lot of trouble that manufacturers just do not want to deal with (cost wise.) Whatever happened to Johnny Race Car? I bought my FMIC from him and love it. Using it I could have put 97 style fogs in but I chose to mount it a bit higher so you can see my polished aluminum pipes :D
I added a pic i drew up in MSPaint, ya bes' recognize mah mad skillz yo.

Attachments

• fmic.JPG
    fmic.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,580
PieEyedPiper said:
That is unless that intercooler has some kind of shunt or seperating layer that literally sections off half the intercooler and only allows air that has been "processed" to exit out the other half and out.

again, hampered flow, but I'd think it would work just fine.

I have been meaning to start a thread regarding this very issue. Perhaps next week I'll get around to it. I already have my mock photos ready to go, they're just really big (in regards to kilobytes).

deletrius said:
Like I said, with top to bottom FMICs like the last one pictured, the air does not get cooled as well as with a side to side FMIC. Tests have been done proving this.

And yea, a block off plate would work but that would be a lot of trouble that manufacturers just do not want to deal with (cost wise.)

So what do you suggest? Installing an FMIC that has a similar style to the second photo in post #10?? No thank you. :notgood:

I added a pic i drew up in MSPaint, ya bes' recognize mah mad skillz yo.

Thank you very much.

Skip01 said:
Yeah this was actually my #1 choice i originally posted the wrong fmic in the 1st post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC...emQQcategoryZ33602QQihZ009QQitemZ190077975275

Again, just for reference sake:

IMHO this design (regarding the end tanks) is a much better option than the two prior options. However, I'm not completely sure the end tank design is optimal.

Last edited by a moderator:
So why exactly do you not like the traditional left to right style FMIC? (like your second pic in #10) I would think that since the air has to flow from left to right and travel a distance of anywhere from 12 to 30 inches, instead of top to bottom which could be as small as 5 inches due to the large end tanks, the air would get cooled much more.I don't see the benefits of having the inlet/outlet on the same side, other than keeping fog lights, but those just slow you down anyways :p Maybe if you had a top-exiting turbo like a 14b/16g then I may understand it from a pipe routing perspective, but otherwise I don't. Plus having my pipes in the fog light holes allows them to get cooled by the outside air as well.

deletrius said:
So why exactly do you not like the traditional left to right style FMIC? (like your second pic in #10) I would think that since the air has to flow from left to right and travel a distance of anywhere from 12 to 30 inches, instead of top to bottom which could be as small as 5 inches due to the large end tanks, the air would get cooled much more.I don't see the benefits of having the inlet/outlet on the same side, other than keeping fog lights, but those just slow you down anyways :p Maybe if you had a top-exiting turbo like a 14b/16g then I may understand it from a pipe routing perspective, but otherwise I don't. Plus having my pipes in the fog light holes allows them to get cooled by the outside air as well.

Because it creates higher pressure drop.

i the same SPEARCO intercooler pictured with the top to bottom flow. That is the most effecient design for intercooler. The air can spread out over a larger area causing less pressure loss, which is very important in the turbo system design process. Its not much less effecient when it comes to cooling either. So if you have a side-to-side intercooler, lets say there is a 2psi or so pressure drop. Dont know an acutal off the top of my head. Then if you want 10 psi manifold pressure because you read that is the effiency point of the turbo you have, then turbo has to work at 12psi+ to create this. BUT the maps everyone seems for turbo effecieny are compressor output. So you end up making more heat, meaning more knock and less power. The top to bottom can cool just as well. If you have a larger turbo or need more cooling. Add more cores to it. you should never increase the length of the bars air passes through, only the number of them.

For those stating the side-to-side being better with out educated reason, go read corky bell's book on turbocharging.

yes, its not like they store tons more heat in them. The bar and plate intercooler are indestructable in comparison to tube and fin. Tube and fin are cheaper to make and that is why that is what you see on EBAY for cheap all the time.

Tube and fin are a little better at removing heat, do to the larger totoal surface area. BUT they have a greater pressure drop (which will indirectly make you have to pump more heat out of the turbo) and are generally weaker design in terms of withstanding rocks and debris.

Im going to be using the same SPEARCO type intercooler for rallying because of all these facts.

Well the reason i want a one sider FMIC is soleley because i have dejon tool UICP for blow through and Dejon Licp .. i was trying to use what i paid for and i can fabricate the rest of the piping to make my UICP and LICP that i already have work..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back