The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Street Build '97 Eclipse AWD GS-T (2006 to Present)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

27JAN2011 - Rim Restoration

After I installed my Evo IX Enkei's in 2009 I put my Enkei CP1's up in my bedroom and used them for a tv stand for awhile. Once I moved to a place with a garage they sat in a corner and collected dust for awhile so, to say the least, they needed some attention so I pulled them out and got to work.

(The reason I wanted to DD with my old wheels was because I wanted a set of Hoosier DR's on my Evo wheels)

Here's a shot of the condition of one before I wet sanded/primed/painted it. They had 50k+ miles on them and spent a few winters on Colorado roads.

DSC_0421.jpg

After wet sanding it using 1000 grit paper.

DSC_0423.jpg

One coat of primer here in this photo, I ended up giving it a second for better coverage though.

DSC_0426.jpg

After 4 coats of rattle can wheel paint it was looking like I wanted it to, only three more wheels to go. :coy:

DSC_0431.jpg

:dsm:

great looking car and awesome build, i wish i could get them brembos I'm trying to find a set myself and cant wait LOL

I'm glad you're back hope you recover soon from your surgery. Well I actually read that info from Tim z how he build his 7 bolt strocker, I'm doing the same thing too but I when 6bolt since I had a extra spare 6 bolt that was good , since my 7bolt was useless in many ways. Jam is also doing the machining work too :) . Corey can you do me a favor can you pm me that link from Tim z what was the steps he took to build his strocker motor please it will be very helpful thank you.

This was a crazy journal, something to read while during my break.

Amazing journal, man! I had to sign in just to congrat you after a couple of days at work trying to read your entire story!

Sorry for my bad english.
I'm from Brazil and i'm trying to get me a Eclipse too... although, in here it's like U$15k ~ 20k a good GS-T =(

29JAN2011 - ECMLink NLTS Wire Install​

After my 11.6 second quarter-mile pass shifting like a grandman, and not Paul Walker double clutching like I should, I decided to use the NLTS wire that came with Link to see if I couldn't drop a tenth. I hadn't wired it up yet because I was still running the stock transmission but I said, "F'it. My transmission won't break!"

Here's the NLTS re-wire step by step... http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/391091-ecmlink-nlts-wire-install-setup.html

It worked great, it was just a little nerve racking the first time trying it out!

02FEB2011 - Refurbed Enkei CP1's Installed
I finally finished refurbishing my 17x7.5 +38, taking them from brushed aluminum to a dark bronze color with a few cans of spray paint and lots of prep! The tires I had mounted on them were the same Bridgestone's I had mounted on my Evo IX rims, 245/45/17's.

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

03FEB2011 - Phone Call To Shep
After I left the parking garage, when I took the photos of the refurbished Enkei's, I headed to into work for the evening. That night San Diego DSM was having a car meet, which is why I was pumped to get the "new" wheels under it. After I got off of work I was adjusting my NLTS RPM and when I shifted into 3rd I heard something that sounded like $3,500.00 leaving my checking account. :aha:

Luckily, I was able to exit the interstate and make it to a DSM buddies house that was just a few blocks away. I still had 1,2,5, & R so it was drive-able, still I wasn't happy to say the least. There was nothing we could do with it at 9:00pm and it was driveable so I was going to swing by the DSM meet and then home, since the meet was on my way anyhow. But, things went from bad to worse because the second I left my buddies neighborhood I left a stop sign and couldn't shift out of 1st gear. My 10 minute drive turned into 1.5 hours taking side roads going 12mph keeping it at a cool 3k in 1st. :toobad:

I made it to the meet and then onto my house, then I pulled the transmission the next day and pulled it apart to see the carnage. That's when I picked up the phone and got in touch with John.

One of those days...

DSC_0493.jpg

DSC_0496.jpg

DSC_0501.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0528.jpg

12FEB2011 - Front Evo Brembo Test Fit
From bad comes good, kind of. I had a set of Evo Brembos collecting dust in my garage because I didn't want to down my car to install them but, now that the car is a month out from a rebuilt transmission, no better time than the present!

You can see the amount of grinding required on the front knuckle to use the kmv bracket and canter the caliper up. I HIGHLY recommend gloves, unless, of course, you like picking metal splinters out of your skin for days?

DSC_0540.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0551.jpg

DSC_0553.jpg

DSC_0557.jpg

DSC_0570.jpg

DSC_0563.jpg

15APR2011 - Shep 4 and ACT Twin Disk... finally.​
My transmission destroyed itself Feb. 3rd and rather than getting it back on the road with a used M/T for cheap I decided to have Shep rebuild mine. I put in the order for a Shep stage 4 with all the goodies!
  • Evo III 1st gear and input shaft
  • LSD
  • REM ISF process
  • 4 spider center diff
...and 3 weeks, and $3,500 later, I found a 140lb. box on my doorstep. I also had Shep send some solid shifter bracket bushings to stiffen up things on the shifter end, things looked great!

attachment.jpg

After I got the transmission I decided that my ACT 2600/street disk combo was hating its life seeing 400 ft/lbs tq at the track. That, and the clutch had been on the car since May '08 and I didn't want to be dropping the trans again. I knew I wanted a twin disk so I could pre-load everything at the tree, that way I didn't break shit with my Hoosiers under the car. Anyway, after shopping around I decided I'd stay faithful to ACT and get one of their new twin disk's that is capable of holding 750 ft/lbs tq so basically this clutch is going to think my cars a big ####y. LOL

attachment.jpg

Got the parts together, now it was time to find the time to install everything!

23APR2011 - Shep 4 and ACT Twin Disk... finally... installed!
A few friends (banishedmunk and VergeTSI) tag teamed this project and helped me knock it out in just a few hours, we even had time to put back three medium pizza's too.

On to the few pictures I took while we installed everything, hopefully I won't have to pull another transmission off this car for awhile now.

ACT Twin flywheel installed.jpg

Shep installed.jpg

Driving the ACT twin disk is definitely humbling, I've killed it at a dozen or so lights and just getting the car rolling without it shaking is a chore. It seems its getting better the more miles I put on it, I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope engagement gets better. Pedal feel is amazing, the big calf/thigh I got from my ACT 2600 isn't needed since the twin disk feels stock its just the engagement thats rough. As a last resort, I've been researching over on ECMLink forums, I think installing the stock accumulator might make the clutch engagement a bit smoother. Plans are already in the works to get the line needed for it but I'm hoping I don't have to go to the trouble of installing it all.

The Shep transmission is still a bit stiff going into first and second, I'm babying it though and once I get some new gear oil in there after the first 500 miles it should be ready for track duties. The true test will be what it does the first pass it makes running the Hoosier DR's and shifting at 8k...

26APR2011 - "Down For 3 Months" Photo Shoot
After getting the transmission installed, filled, and broken in I fixed the "kinks" and decided to wash the car and take it for a drive and photo shoot. I never realized how much I miss the GSX until it's gone for a few months. :cool:

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

26JUN2011 - Knocked Out the Stock Front & Rear Motor Mounts​
A DSMTuners Freelancer started a group buy on solid roll stops for a 2g and I jumped on them, I had the poly inserts and they were garbage. I remembered how much of a PITA it was to install the poly side motor mounts but the results were worth it so I pulled out my hammer and flat head and started banging away.

The front one was just like the sides, I just had to punch out the metal sleeve and the roll stop slipped right in. The rear, however, not so easy because it's nothing like the other 3 motor mounts. Something's always got to be difficult...

photo-41.jpg

photo-42.jpg

photo-40.jpg

27JUN2011 - Rear Roll Stop Pressed In​
I spent hours trying to tap in the rear motor mount sleeve before I gave up, I just really hate paying a shop to do something I can do myself. Eventually though, I swallowed my pride and called the local suspension shop that had a press and fortunately I was charged a 6-pack of Coke for the job. ROFL

Now I've got the front and rear solid poly roll stops pressed in, I just had to find time to down the car and install them! They looked great...

For more information on where to get these contact Adam Porto (black_gst). 2G DSM Polyurethane roll stops - DSM Classifieds

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

01JUL2011 - Front & Rear Poly Roll Stops & Front Brembos Installed
I got the front rear roll stop installed today and as much as I was dreading putting them in, it wasn't too bad. I want to say that these things fit PERFECT in the OE brackets that bolt to the transmission, it seems that one (mm) too big or small and it just wouldn't work. Just cover the outside of the poly mount with WD40 and slip it into the bracket.

Here are a few photos of the rear roll stop compared to the prothane insert.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

photo-45-1.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

While I was installing the roll stops my buddy Kris (banishedmunk) was grinding up that front driver side knuckle to get the kmv bracket bolted up. Up to this point I had done the passenger side knuckle but was still running the stock AWD brakes until I could get the driver side done, Kris did it for me! Here's a shot of us hard at work and then another of the car with the new brakes...

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

30JUL2011 - FIC 2150's​
My current fuel injectors are 950's and were maxed out squirting E85 trying to support 47lbs/min of airflow. Because of this base fuel pressure was set at 50psi (over 43.5psi) to stretch them so my IDC's weren't over 100%, something I still wasn't comfortable with. I was tired up continuously upgrading injectors so I broke down and bought a set of FIC 2150's and don't plan on EVER upgrading injectors again.

Of course they do no good sitting on a coffee table, they look nice though, but I didn't get around to installing them.

attachment.jpg

12OCT2011 - Navy Blue Angels Photo Shoot @ MCAS Miramar
A DSMTuner/ECMLink member (awdwhip) that I knew over the forums moved to San Diego, from Washington, and actually started work with me. It's definitely a small world... Anyway, James and I were trying to get some good shots to enter in the 2012 DSMTuners & ECMLink calendar contest. I knew a spot on base that was a bit "dirty" but had some great shots with aircraft because it was near the flight line and the Blue Angels were out. Things worked out great, James (awdwhip) got his Talon in the ECMLink calendar too!

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

DSC_0628.jpg

DSC_0631.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

attachment.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back