The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Street Build '97 Eclipse AWD GS-T (2006 to Present)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21OCT2010 - Photoshoot

I was tired of that black vinyl look on top, I thought it looked like ass (to my standards) so I removed it and waxed the car, decided it was time to take some nice photos of it.

DSC_0956.jpg

DSC_0967.jpg

:dsm:

Last edited:
11NOV2010 - Installed A Tial Q

Ever since my tune at RRE back in Sept. my WOT AFR's continually started getting more and more rich until the car would just pop and backfire. I had done numerous BLT's and even went as far as replacing the spark plugs; still nothing. It wasn't until Nov. when I did a BLT that I found that my HKS SSQV, as weird as this may sound, was opening at 5psi and leaking. I pulled that thing and replaced it with the 50mm Tial Q, boost leak was gone and I was hoping my WOT backfire would be too. After the install I was ready to go back to the track and see if I couldn't get some faster ET's and trap speeds, and the good news was that the track was hosting Mustangs vs The World that coming Saturday; I couldn't wait! :p

Please excuse the engine bay photos; it was dirty under there and I wasn't giving it much attention, I just wanted it to work again.

170.jpg

DSC_1004.jpg

DSC_1033.jpg

13NOV2010 - Barona Speedway: Mustangs vs The World

I found a leaky bov and replaced it just in time to test things out at the local 1/8th mile on FORD day, here was my chance to beat up on some Mustangs. :D

...and beat up I did. :hellyeah:

DSC_1035.jpg

DSC_1059.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_1053.jpg

DSC_1070.jpg

DSC_1074.jpg

DSC_1076.jpg

DSC_1079.jpg

New best time/trap speed in the 1/8th, I was itching to get this car down the 1/4 mile track before the end of the year.

Once again WOW! man love your build, but I do have a couple things that are neging me. why'd you shave your spoiler and swap one talon bumper and side skirts?
Personally I thought it looked better before but that's just me. Anyways keep it up man i'm still in love with your car. Car x 222222222 jealous!

Awesome work Corey!

Tell me you still have the 2Gb Talon bumper on the car.
At the moment it's got the Eclipse bumper on it, I track the car with the Eclipse front and DD it with the Talon usually.
Whats your best quarter mile run?
Wait for the next update or look through my profile. :D

28NOV2010 - GoPro HD Camera and New Vanity Plates

After running the 1/8th mile times I did I decided that my car was "fast enough" that I wanted to get a good video of it once I made it to the quarter-mile track. I ordered a GoPro and received it just in time before the scheduled track visit on Dec. 4th.

DSC_1112.jpg

I also decided that, with my switch to E85, it was time to get some cool vanity plates. These sort of have a double meaning since I'm from Nebraska AND my car runs on corn gas, i.e., CORNFED. :thumb:

DSC_1119.jpg

01DEC2010 - Last Minute Car Diet

Losing all the creature comforts wasn't such a BIG decision, considering everything that had already been pulled from my car in the past. My heater core blew up from a lifting head earlier in the year so I no longer had heat, I removed my A/C to run push fans on the radiator, and when I did my AWD swap I needed an AWD spare tire so my GS-T spare tire brackets no longer fit. Time to start pulling weight out of the car that wasn't being used, I needed to get this car into the 11's dammit.

I used the same tack weld bit to remove the metal brackets and with the help of Kris (banishedmunk) we made quick work of it. I also pulled my rear speaker brackets and the rear seat brace that goes between the shock towers just behind the rear seats.

DSC_1137.jpg

DSC_1146.jpg

After removing all the weight in the rear of the car it was time to work my way up front, so I pulled the dash. No blower, no heater core, no A/C, no front speakers, and no vent system. The carpet was also removed for weight; I didn't trash it though, just wanted it out of there while I was getting the car prepped for the quarter-mile run.

DSC_1148.jpg

DSC_1151.jpg

Unfortunately, I was unable to weigh everything that had been removed but I'd "guess-timate" a total of 50lbs had been cut from the car.

03DEC2010 - R&D for CompClutch at Road Race (Night Before the Race)

Sam from RRE contacted me on Dec. 2nd, read this thread if you're interested in the R&D ---> Free Clutch, and asked if I would be willing to do some R&D on a "stage IV" clutch/pressure plate, CC billet shift fork, and a new RRE 7-bolt flywheel. Since RRE was sort of on the way to the quarter-mile track, which is 110 miles North of San Diego, I told Sam I'd drive up there the evening before the race and we could do the R&D for CC. Kris (banishedmunk), Sam, and I all have some interesting memories from the events that occurred that night and what happens at Road Race stays at Road Race. :p

Here are a few photos that were taken during the transmission drop, clutch swap, and shift fork install. I'm going to start a time line of the install so everyone can get an idea of how late we were up, mind you the track opened at 6am.

8:15pm
Finally got the car into RRE's garage and started getting it ready from "the top" to drop the transmission before we put it up in the air.

DSC_1154.jpg

8:30pm
The car was up in the air and Sam was going to town. Don't let my clean clothing or Sam and Kris tell you different, I was working too. ;)

DSC_1155.jpg

9:00pm
The transmission was off and the ACT 2600/street disk I had been running since my AWD swap was on its way out.

DSC_1159.jpg

9:15pm
Sam pulled the stock shift fork and laid it next to the billet CC fork for comparison, looks good! He also pulled out the new RRE flywheel and started checking fitment...

DSC_1164.jpg

DSC_1167.jpg

9:45pm
The billet fork was being a PITA, considering this was R&D to make sure everything fit up Sam was expecting a little bit of a snag. He had to take a drill and clearance the pivot ball hole a bit bigger than it was, then write down the info to relay to Comp Clutch for production.

DSC_1172.jpg

10:00pm
The new shift fork, RRE flywheel, and "stage 4" CC clutch/PP were bolted in and torqued to specs.

DSC_1168.jpg

DSC_1174.jpg

DSC_1177.jpg

11:15pm
The drivetrain was back together and all Kris had left to do was install the slave cylinder and we could drop the car and test the new setup.

DSC_1186.jpg

DSC_1189.jpg

Unfortunately, that's the end of all the pictures that were taken that night. The Comp Clutch rep showed up around midnight and had Sam and I go take the car for a spin to see if it could hold the torque of the motor. Comp Clutch got the info they needed, my car burnt the SHIT out of the clutch; apparently the 390 tq. was too much for it with the street disk. OMG

OH NO! Sam, Kris, and I have to be at the track in less than 6 hours and the transmission has to come off again so I can switch back to the old clutch setup! Yes we did, we stayed up the ENTIRE night in the shop and by the time Kris and I had finished the ACT 2600 re-install it was 5:00am. We were all delirious and couldn't stop laughing at everything, never in my life have I had such a good and bad experience all at the same time. But, without Kris or Sam helping, I know for a fact that I wouldn't have been racing on the 4th so I can't thank either of them enough for their help.

04DEC2010 - The Fontuckey Quarter Mile (California Speedway)

If you read the previous blog entry you'd know that Sam, Kris and I had all been up more than 24 hours and were planning on racing; let me just tell you it was a bad decision. I was exhausted and I'm fairly certain Kris and I were exchanging punches in the car trying to keep each other awake after we left RRE and started driving towards the track. So, with the windows rolled down, the sun roof open, and Kris and I yelling/punching each other for the 30 minute drive to Fontuckey from RRE we pulled into the tech lanes around 6:30am. Made it!

Although no pictures were taken, my camera battery had died from taking pictures from the night before, we still had the video camera and GoPro to shoot with. After 2 passes and a few naps in between I had yet to cut a decent 60ft and break into the 11's, if I remember correctly I was hitting 12.0X E/T's at 118mph. On my third run just before I went into the staging lanes Kris walked up to my car and knocked on the window and when I rolled it down he leaned in and gave me the best advice a DSM friend could have given, "DON'T BE A ####Y!" After I rolled up the window I took a deep breath and rolled up to the burnout box, lets do this! :rocks:

This is a classic photo after my pass that afternoon; I was so excited and EXHAUSTED from the night before. Kris and I weren't able to wash up and were still covered in grease and transmission fluid, we were both disgusting. I'm fairly certain we destroyed a Burger King bathroom sink after we left the track that day, the sink was stained black.

From left to right: Me (gofer), Kris (banishedmunk), Ed's buddy, Ed (goodbuds)
That 11 second pass was enough to keep Kris and I awake to make the 110 mile drive back home, AWESOME!

11 second pass time slip photo.jpg

View attachment 11.6 @ 121 pass.elg

Last edited:
Just took the free time in the past couple day I had to read this entire thread. All I can say is wow, great story. I LOL'ed when you went to save those black leathers from the fire hahahah. The numbers you put down on your setup gives me hope for my setup on my 7bolt. Keep up the great work man you've been through alot and much more to come!

Thanks! Sorry for the lack of updates everyone, I've been preparing to separate from the military and haven't had much time to sit and upload old photos.

Nice thread really nice build too, so you going to build your 7 bolt to strocker ? Like Tim z did or no.
Exactly like Tim's actually, he helped me with the build but JAM did the machine work and assembly (pictures of the block will be in here once I get to that date). Sorry for the late response I just never saw your post... :coy:

I'm starting to get the next set of updates together, sorry it has been so long but I found some free time after recovering from surgery so here they come. Still have a LONG way to go before I get to 2012, unfortunately.

21JAN2011 - New Parts

I pulled my Evo Brembos out of storage and started piecing everything together that I needed to install them.
  • Evo Brembos (front & rear)
  • RotorPro rotors
  • Hawk HPS pads
  • kmv brackets

Evocalipers.jpg

Evobrembosonrotors.jpg

HawkPadsfrontrear.jpg

knvadapters.jpg

I also traded FP 4" intakes with Justin (JusMX141) since mine was setup for recirc and I wasn't using it and he had one that wasn't. He etched it black and sent it my way and it looked great!

DSC_0406.jpg

Installed...

DSC_0418.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back