The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Street Build '97 Eclipse AWD GS-T (2006 to Present)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

17FEB2012 - Fresh Set of Evo IX Enkei Wheels​
I liked my bronze Enkei CP1's but with the recent change to the Evo Brembo brakes I had to run a spacer to clear the wheel. The spacer seemed shady to DD on at best because it wasn't hub centric and I got a deal from a local on a set of Evo IX wheels so I pulled out the old rattle can and got high. :cool:

attachment.jpg

:dsm:

22FEB2012 - Fixing My Prothane Motor Mount
When I installed my Prothane motor mounts something never seemed right about that driverside and after a few thousand miles and trips to the track it was clear, something wasn't right. I took a picture or two and contacted Prothane's sales dept and customer service was great. They said to send them the mount and the insert and they'd fix it free of charge. To good to be true, I was thinking I wouldn't get that mount back for weeks but it only took a week! Wow. :thumb:

Thanks Prothane! Turns out the kit I bought came with two transmission inserts so it never fit correctly, I should have caught it during the install but I guess I didn't know any better. Good thing nothing serious happened with the wrong one in there.

Onto the pics.

Here's what it looked like installed before I contacted Prothane.

prothane 1.jpg

prothane 2.jpg

Once I pulled it of the car it was pretty clear it wasn't the correct insert, to this day I'm still not sure what I was thinking the first time I installed it.

022312_0372.jpg

The new and CORRECT Prothane insert after I got it back from them.

prothane.jpg

24FEB2012 - Carbon Fiber Wiper Cowl
I had pulled my windshield wiper assembly over a year ago and the stock cowl looked weird with those open holes in it for the wiper arms. I found a vendor that was localto San Diego that fabricated made to order CF windshield wiper cowls for 2g's and told them not to cut out the holes for the wipers. I got a phone call that the piece was ready to get picked up and I couldn't have been happier with the way it turned out.

I know CF is supposed to be functional to save weight, this didn't cut any weight from the car but it definitely cleaned things up and kept water out of the wiper trough.

attachment.jpg

DSC_1067.jpg

attachment.jpg

wow dude read the whole story makes me want a 2g even more i have a 92 1g tsi and i love that its a sleeper im building a 2.3l stroker this year for it and i think after reading your story im going to buy myself a 2g and put the other 6bolt motor i have in it. ive always wanted a 2g great job on the car keep up the good work ill be following this thread...:hellyeah:

MY wiper cowl is screwed up I need a new one :/ That one looks awesome! What company did you get that from and how much?

wow dude read the whole story makes me want a 2g even more i have a 92 1g tsi and i love that its a sleeper im building a 2.3l stroker this year for it and i think after reading your story im going to buy myself a 2g and put the other 6bolt motor i have in it. ive always wanted a 2g great job on the car keep up the good work ill be following this thread...:hellyeah:
I've got a soft spot for '91 AWD Talons but I started out with a 2g and I feel comfortable wrenching on them, maybe someday I'll find the right 1g and get me one of those too. :)

MY wiper cowl is screwed up I need a new one :/ That one looks awesome! What company did you get that from and how much?
Most DSMer's have messed up wipercowls, after 15+ years of sun beating up on the plastic it's expected.

I bought it off of a company on eBay called Revolutionary Designs. All of their stuff is made to order though so you just contact them directly if you want them to make something for you, here is a list of what they can make for our 2g's.
*90-99 ECLIPSE 2g KEVLAR CARBON FIBER SPARK PLUG

*90-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER SPARK PLUG

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER FUSE BOX COVER

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g TURBO CARBON FIBER SPOILER

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER CENTER TAIL LIGHT COVER

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER AIR INTAKE COVERS

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER CONSOLE UNDERP ANELS

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER FULL CONSOLE

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER 3GAUGES A-PILLARS

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER 2GAUGES A-PILLARS

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER A-PILLARS

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER WIPER COWL

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER LID

*95-99 ECLIPSE 2g CARBON FIBER SPLITTER

*95-99 ECLISPE CARBON FIBER CARGO LID​

03MAR2012 - Trip To Barona 1/8th Mile (without my 2g)
My car was still getting the bolt-on's installed after reverting it back to stock to pass CA emissions but, that didn't keep me from going to the track with my buddy Kris and his slow 1g. :cool:

Kris hadn't made a pass since 2009 and I was going to miss watching him run, not a chance.

Kris' best time was a 7.6 @ 99mph with a 1.9 60ft and stock 16" 2g wheels so traction was definitely an issue. We both had a good time and since I didn't have a car I had my camera around my neck all day, I even made a video for him to put up on youtube.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I even took a shot of Kris's nemesis a "stock" GTR running low 6's @ 120+. We finally spoke with the guy and even though it looked stock that car had EVERY bolt-on you could put on a GTR, although it did still have stock brakes. $60k in upgrades later it's running low 6's but that car looked nice, it even had a Sheperd transmission in it. :thumb:

attachment.jpg

Here's the video I put together for Kris and, go figure, I don't think he's been to the track since either. LOL He did put on a bigger FP BB HTA and put down 550whp so I don't think he'll be running sub 100mph trap speeds in the 1/8th any longer the next time he does make it out.

Last edited:
Stay tuned then, here in the next few updates there will be A LOT more pictures from Barona once I got my car back together.

They still have a section of the pits that isn't paved, notice my buddy rolling around in dirt to jack his rear end up. ROFL

Stay tuned then, here in the next few updates there will be A LOT more pictures from Barona once I got my car back together.

They still have a section of the pits that isn't paved, notice my buddy rolling around in dirt to jack his rear end up. ROFL

Nice where this video link you speak of?.

Not to jack your thread here's a few ol barona pics from 04 ish I believe

-73.jpg

-91.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you even get that carbon fiber headliner in?
Pull the visors, "oh shit!" handle, a-pillar plastics, sunroof control plastics, plastics around the rear speakers so you can pull the plastics around the rear windows, and the backseat overhead "hooks" to hang shit on.

That's pretty much it off the top of my head. There are 4 plastic tabs the hold up the headliner itself, just pull thoughs and down she comes. The CF headliner I got eliminates the visors, "oh shit!" handle, and the backseat overhead hooks, which is fine since I like saving weight and watching my fiancee try to find something to grab going around a turn fast or accelerating. It's even funnier when we're driving around and going right into the sun when she forgets her sunglasses, no visor. ;)

Very nice thread. Like many have said before, the saving the leather seats is pretty funny, but I know how you felt. Although my car wasn't on fire, recently people have been vandalizing it and I take EVERYTHING of value out every time I park. I'm glad to see you got some pretty good friends that help you throughout your journey with your DSM. Money can't buy stuff like that. I've always wanted to an awd swap, and I think I just got the motivation I needed to start buying the parts. By the way, your car is bad axx, I hope to get mine to look as clean and shiny as yours one day. Definitely subscribing, I started reading yesterday, until I went to bed, and now I'm just waking up and grabbed the I pad and continued reading LOL.

I also think Kris could've pushed the holset a little further and reached 5xxawhp. It's been done before, but I'm glad he is going further. Can't wait for a video of him walking the GTR LOL.

I got a quick question, so I'm looking to go E85, but only when racing. Well I guess it's two questions but, first question, how do I switch back and forth between maps with ecmlink.? I see the mod for a 1g with the switch but I can't find it for a 2g at all. Second question is, with my mhi 20g and my current little 880cc injectors, do you think I'll be alright? How much boost would be pushing it? I'm only looking to push 24-28ish or more if possible. Sorry if its a little off topic.

Overall your build is such an inspiration to me and is going to be something i think about to get me off my axx and get things done. as well as reach goals that i set for myself. I cant tell you how many times something went wrong since last august when i got the car. But I keep on pushing and dont let it Side track me. I mostly look at it as, I get to work on my car and get to know about it more when things mess up LOL. but yea, Can't wait to see more.

Update? I'm still over a year behind... LOL Here's another one. I'm going to try and post mods/events/photos in here once a week until I get caught up.

07MAR2012 - 3g Eclipse Brake Booster and Brake Master Cylinder Install​
After installing my Evo Brembo's, believe it or not, my braking performance went out the window. It was almost scary to drive in traffic, I'd have to tail the car in front of me by twice the distance and anticipate them stopping all the time. I was tired of it and desperate for a solution so I started doing some research on the Evo's brake system, not just the calipers/rotors. After a bit of research, digging through the forums and FSM's, I soon found out that the Evo brake booster and brake master cylinder were considerably larger than even a stock AWD DSM's brake setup.

To make a long story short the Evo's utilize a 17/16" brake master cylinder and a 8+9" brake booster where as the 2g DSM has a 15/16" brake master cylinder (FWD) or 1" (AWD) and a 7+8" brake booster. So, after some research I found that the 3g Eclipse had a 8+9" brake booster and 17/16" brake master cylinder just like the Evo. I found both used on a 3g Eclipse forum and thought I'd experiment, luckily everything just fell into place.

I don't want to turn this into a huge tech thread so here are the links to my findings I've posted around the forum if you're interested.
** Please ask technical questions, if you have any, in the respective thread I've linked to above. **

3G Eclipse 17/16" brake master cylinder (BMC) on the stock 2g brake booster

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

3G Brake Booster and Brake Master Cylinder Installed

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back