The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

94 Tsi FWD exhaust questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packrat

Probationary Member
Jan 26, 2012
NYC, New_York
Ok, You'll all be happy to know the stock 1gb talon is alive and still kicking.
So to-date you all have helped me with the timing belt issue (which went ridiculously well considering all that could have gone wrong), The thermo housing thing, coolant bottle issue, annnd I think that's it.

So. As of now, The timing belts, water pump, and all seals on that side of the engine have been replaced. The thermostat and housing have been replaced. The alternator, rear brake calipers and a switch on the power steering pump as well. (The first owner had the radiator replaced prior to me buying the car).

Two weekends ago, a friend from Long island helped me out with fixing up the suspension. I didn't want to deviate too far from stock, but we did wind up putting HHR Springs and GR2's on the car. She handle's so much better now, the difference is incredible. (We removed the bone stock 18 year old suspension which at the time had 95k miles on it). While we were doing that I took the time to replace the interior as well. (The stock seats were horribly sunfaded). (The kid had a parts car in case you were wondering where all the stuff came from).

So, that leaves me with the last few things to try and fix. At this point I am left with a few issues: A slight boost leak somewhere. A busted front trans mount, and an exhaust leak. Now I have a transmount, and a rebuilt throttle body in case I find a boost leak there. So these are not my main concern.

The exhaust is leaking around the flexpipe area in the downpipe. Now while I am doing my very best (it's a massive struggle daily), to not modify this car to holy hell and back, I do not want to replace a crappy stock exhaust with another crappy stock exhaust. I do NOT want cops eyeballing me while I drive around though...So I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do here. (I only have custom exhausts on my nissan so buying an OOB system is a little foreign to me). Oh yeah, I also have most of the HKS UICP for the SMIC, but I need to locate an elbow I can use with it. (Stock elbow = tiny, and the piping i bought didn't have the elbow). Suggestions on the elbow?

Suggestions for the exhaust?? The pacesetter one seems to be the cheapest/quietest, but their QC was always suspect IMHO. Megan seems a bit loud. Thermal is just to expensive to justify at this point due to my Nissan project. (I have really bad experiences with cops, I'd like to avoid as much contact with them as possible).

I was thinking this: Evo III o2 Housing, Megan Downpipe, Test Pipe, Pace Setter. Or will all of that be still too loud? (Also used to throwing exhausts at NA motors which tend to be a lot louder than turbo cars so I am told).

Thanks in advance guys!
Rat :confused:

Last edited:
Use a 2g stock elbow. And for the exhaust, my friend has a straigjt 3 inch exhaust to a magnaflow muffler and the car is actually pretty silent.

What's the size on a stock 2G elbow? Will i still have to use a reducer?
Thanks
Rat

2g elbow acquired :) still grappling with the exhaust thing...not sure what DE's regs are concerning this stuff...need some help from DE locals to address this issue.
Rat

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back