The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2.3 stroker or 2.0 and 60 trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birt96gst

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2005
black diamond, Washington
my goals are for around 550 whp and I am woundering what would be the best route to go.
These are my options
1. 2.3 stroker with eagle rods and wiseco pistons
full race built head
t67 turbo
4" exauhst
3.5'' intercooler piping w/ gmaf and fmic
hks exhaust main
magnus intake mani
wide band and dsm link

OR

2. fully built 2.0 all forged components crank and all with a 60 trim and every thing to back int up.

what do you think the pros and cons of the two are and the cost differnce
THanks input will be taken seriously as for I will take my car down on monday and have the motor work started

Birt96gst said:
my goals are for around 550 whp and I am woundering what would be the best route to go.
These are my options
1. 2.3 stroker with eagle rods and wiseco pistons
full race built head
t67 turbo
4" exauhst
3.5'' intercooler piping w/ gmaf and fmic
hks exhaust main
magnus intake mani
wide band and dsm link

OR

2. fully built 2.0 all forged components crank and all with a 60 trim and every thing to back int up.

what do you think the pros and cons of the two are and the cost differnce
THanks input will be taken seriously as for I will take my car down on monday and have the motor work started

You're obviously gonna throw some money into this.

Why dont you just port the factory exhuast manifold? Its pretty solid as it is. I'd have to say that Id go with the fully built 2.0. Instead of throwing a forged crank in, Id go with DSMLink.

So heres what I would do:

MBC
ARP head stud kit
Metal Head Gasket
3G lifters (non-ticking)
255 LPH HP Fuel pump
720 cc injectors
AFPR
Boost guage, EGT guage, A:F guage, wideband 02 sensor
DSMLink w/ EPROM ECU
New timing belt and accessory belt (why not when you're in there)
3.5'' turbo back
FMIC w/ pipe kit
.6 trim turbo
2,000,000 million hours of tuning

I think that would be alot cheaper, especially because you have already invested in rods and pistons for your 6 bolt.

The list above looks pretty darn solid (nice job). Having moved from a 2.0 to a 2.3, I could never go back. The extra displacement makes for an incredible street car. Respect it, maintain it and don't rev the piss out of it and you'll have a terrific street/strip car.

Heres what I would do... Actually my current set up

Fully built 2.0L
272 cams
GT35R turbo with .82 A/R
AEM EMS
880cc injectors
Tubular exhaust manifold
Sheet metal Intake
Coil On Plugs
MSD DIS-2
Good tune
3in + Turbo back exhaust
Exedy Twin plate clutch
255 Fuel pump
Larger fuel lines
FPR
40mm waste gate
Probably good for 600+ whp on race gas :thumb:

Dark_Horse said:
Your 2 options are completely different. A T67 and a 60 trim aren't even in the same ballpark. 60 trim = good daily driver turbo. T67 = holy mother of God!

What are your goals?

That's exactly what I was going to say. A 60 trim isn't going to get you 550whp or even 500 whp, and a T67 is overkill at that power level.

well thats why I posted this I was going to have a shop build me 2.3 stroker motor and theye said a t67 would give me a 550whp daily driver and I thoght that it would actually put me inthe 6-700 hp range but I wanted to get an opinion from those who have 550-600whp daily driver (probably will acualy only driven 3 days a week) and I also know that it could be done with a built 6bolt so I am trying to find out the best option and what setup you guys come up with that seems to be the best and most proven is what I am going to go with. Money is not much of a problem so I can get just about whatever I need with in reason

Daily drive car with a t-67. eek.

Well the old saying holds true. There is no replacement for displacement. A 2.3 can be very streatable if you treat it nice like the wiseman said. As far as what turbo to get there are so many choices for that power area its just up to what brand you prefer.

But also a car with 500-600hp, will be using a turbo, that even on a 2.3, might still come with a lot of lag

With the 2.3L, the turbo will spool faster with a bigger turbo...........I'm currently rebuilding my 2.0L with JE pistons and Eagle Rods and already have a Turbonetics 60-1 turbo and i'm guess ing it should be a relitivly decent setup, but we'll see how it goes.

Yes, but most people just get a superly large turbo without doing any math, so they dont get a good hunk of the power band and next thing you know you have a power curve like a supra. being fast from 100-170mph is not what i call a good street/strip set up LOL

PSI NRG said:
Heres what I would do... Actually my current set up

Fully built 2.0L
272 cams
GT35R turbo with .82 A/R
AEM EMS
880cc injectors
Tubular exhaust manifold
Sheet metal Intake
Coil On Plugs
MSD DIS-2
Good tune
3in + Turbo back exhaust
Exedy Twin plate clutch
255 Fuel pump
Larger fuel lines
FPR
40mm waste gate
Probably good for 600+ whp on race gas :thumb:

When are you starting spool and when do you reach max with the 35R?

On a 2.0 you can get a 35R to spool anywhere between 4200 - 4800rpm depending on mods. It won't run out of steam till 8000rpm...Or beyond, once again, depending on your mods.

35R is good for ~65lbs/min on race gas.

Yeah, I have the Turbonetics 60 trim and it didn't start spooling till about 4500 RPMs, once it hit boost, I was up to redline almost instantly...........so fast, went too high and spun a bearing and got rod knock.. Now my engine is currently being rebuild with all forged internals.............:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back