The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

18G-6SL2 wierd noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2GaDSM

Probationary Member
Feb 9, 2010
Marana, Arizona
I bought a brand new 18G-6SL2 last week from FP. I installed it last night with the oil feed at the head. I went to test drive it and at about 5psi I get a loud supercharger like whine. The turbo has a 14 psi wastegate, but my boost gauge is only showing 8psi at full boost. I don't know if it is the turbo or not. I'm wondering what could cause this? keep in mind this is a brand new turbo. It has no shaft play. I know for sure I am missing 1 bolt on the 02 housing, could an exhaust leak cause a whine like I am describing? Thanks for the help ahead of time! :thumb:

Now that I think about it, I did have trouble putting the J-pipe on. I will re-check that and all the manifold gaskets. Thanks jusmx for your help! I was just a little nervous about the turbo.

I found it, one of the bolts I had for the J-pipe was bottoming out in the compressor cover not allowing the J-pipe to tighten all the way. :ohdamn:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back