The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

CUT Balance shaft Belt [Merged 6-7]cutting belts remove

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Originally posted by HiPsiTsiMike
can you cut the balance belt off?
No, There are two balance shafts the belt runs the upper BS. If you cut it the lower BS still spins and the engine shakes. You have to pull the lower BS at the same time that you remove the upper BS belt.

Steve

If I had pics I could show you what happens when you remove one balance shaft and leave the other one in.Let me tell you ite wasn't pretty.

I bought a 90' laser that had a bad vibration. When I went to change the timing belt a month later, I found out that the balance shaft belt was broken. Got a new one in there now. What bad things happen when the belt is broke or cut besides bad vibration?

I bought a 90' laser that had a bad vibration. When I went to change the timing belt a month later, I found out that the balance shaft belt was broken. Got a new one in there now, everythings been fine. What bad things happen when the belt is broke or cut besides bad vibration?

FYI, I have a few thousand miles on my '97 gsx with no balance belt and so far so good. The last one broke and was wrapped up in the timing belt, so I feel much better taking a chance with no belt than having another break...

everyone of my DSM friends here in town (about 14 total) all run the engine with just the belt removed, balance shafts left in. our cars range from stock, to high 11 second cars and we have run them this way for quite awhile with combined mileage well over 100k. one ugy has had his engine like that since 95.... no major problems, no engine revbuilds, all still running strong. most of the time you dont even get any vibration hardly.

Alex.

Don't do it unless you also remove the balance shaft. Call up RRE, Buschur, SBR, whoever, they'll tell you NOT to get rid of just the belt. BAD IDEA.

My buddy bought a 95 Talon TSI AWD. He gave me a ride in his car complaining of a bad vibration. Holy Sh!t did it vibrate! I made him take me home right away, didn't want to be anywhere near that car!

He brought it in to satan and they showed him the busted/torn up balance shaft belt. Satan replaced all the belts and all was good, no vibration.

Get out the pocketknife!

I completely removed the balance shafts from my '91 talon tsi awd. Shakes pretty good around 3400 and 6200. No longer a "nice riding daily driver".

My '97 gsx with no belt is WAY smoother than my talon at all rpms, except at idle or below 900 rpms - and that is due to the energy stiffer motor mounts, plus I urethaned both tranny and engine mounts.

RRE did tell me to do something about the broken belt. I opted for no belt. It's your choice, but I'd say remove it. I did a thorough search on this topic, and I heard alot of rumors about not doing it. No one ever presented any first hand data to me. So far I am glad I removed it.

Tomato, tomahto.

I know if I cut the belt to the balance shafts, their will till be the rear one that is sill working. What is the worst thing that could happen if I just cut the belt and leave the rear one by itself? Do you guys think it could do some damage?

the shafts are removed for the reason that the belt is a hazard for timing belt attack,.

if it was advisable to just cut the belt, there wouldnt be eliminator kits.
I had the same question and reasearched long ago, and it was agreed that just cutting the belt is bad idea.

Ok i bought my car 6 months ago running fine and they did a timing belt job... well recently there has been this banging in the back of my block. I took out the screw in the back of the block ( the one to see if the oil pump is timed right) and was able to move the rear balence shaft up and down!!! I starting takeing apart all timing belt related things and find there is NO balence belt installed. I go even deeper and find that becasue there was no front shaft moving the rear one was off balence and knocked out its bearing and started hitting my block.. pics below... i did BS removal and all is good , but just a warning DONT JUST CUT the BS belt do the removal!!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,807
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,882
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,854
yeah ive read a couple post where people have done it and said its ok (WTF) and obviosly the dealer who had my car thought it was ok it wasnt a mitsu dealer so they were prolly just stupid and didnt know ne thing about DSMs

Hell you can cut off the weighted part of the stock rear balance shaft belt, tap it for a 10mm bolt, thread lock it in place and run just fine if you don't want to cough up the cash for the factory stub shaft.

same thing happend to me but with my front shaft.. but they WERE in phase... so may a loss of oil be to blame? by the way i never cut my belt.. the bearing just did this on its own.. dont know how

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i unfolded them here

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back